Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Sheildtech - Stats/rotations

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Sheildtech - Stats/rotations

stonemajnn's Avatar


stonemajnn
01.31.2013 , 04:51 PM | #1
what rotations for max agro /balanced gear stats?
I've been using http://www.noxxic.com/swtor/pve/boun...ty-and-details
As a guide to this, but then i heard its not legit.

ty
**Buuuzzzz*'

Sahrde's Avatar


Sahrde
02.19.2013 , 07:42 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by stonemajnn View Post
what rotations for max agro /balanced gear stats?
I've been using http://www.noxxic.com/swtor/pve/boun...ty-and-details
As a guide to this, but then i heard its not legit.
ty
Bumping on this. Just coming back from nearly a year out and I'm also trying to (re)learn Shieldtech tanking.

wetslampigduex's Avatar


wetslampigduex
02.19.2013 , 07:44 AM | #3
Busy atm ill respond in a bit, your 1st problem is following noxxic. The majority of the info there is wrong or outdated. Check the tanking forums on here in the mean time.

OlosBC's Avatar


OlosBC
02.19.2013 , 10:59 AM | #4
Actually looking at it, the shield tech guide on noxxic is the least-far-wrong spec I've seen. The spec (hard to **** up ST spec) is right and the rotation is close enough for government work.

Main thing it gets wrong: don't EVEr get ANY accuracy AT ALL as a ptech tank. Keep stacking defensive stats.

Also, don't start trash pulls with grapple, makes you look like a bad DK tank. Grapple can be useful on bosses though as it is a high threat opener and won't **** up positioning. Best use of grapple is to pull in a pesky ranged guy to the mess of aoe you'll be dealing out.

For aoe I like to:ED (on a normal mob if possible)-charge-flamethrower - sweep - grapple(if necessary) - punch-rail(for the aoe dot spread, skip punch if can do rail without-sweep

Sometimes I open with dfa instead, or sub in dfa with flamethrower, or just open straightaway with charge.

Just whatever you do, make sure you attack before group mates, don't give them a chance to pull before you
Olos - 55 Hybrid Powertech
Fonia - 55 Madness Sorceror
<Dark Fury> of Jedi Covenant
Previously Fonia and Daygoru of Tempest server in SWG.

Sahrde's Avatar


Sahrde
02.19.2013 , 01:38 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by OlosBC View Post
Main thing it gets wrong: don't EVEr get ANY accuracy AT ALL as a ptech tank. Keep stacking defensive stats.
I've seen references to threat having been buffed. I'm sad, I like having all my stats be meaningful. I was very sad when they did that in WOW.

Quote:
Best use of grapple is to pull in a pesky ranged guy to the mess of aoe you'll be dealing out.
Should be obvious, but it's good to have it stated outright, thanks.

Quote:
For aoe I like to:ED (on a normal mob if possible)-charge-flamethrower - sweep - grapple(if necessary) - punch-rail(for the aoe dot spread, skip punch if can do rail without-sweep
Wait, what? Railshot has an AOE component now? Damn. I must have missed that. That's pretty sweet. Is rocketpunch no longer our big threat generator now? And did Shoulder Slam ever improve? (I like using it when questing, I just love the visual of a rocket assisted slam like that, but it was always a meh damage abiltiy).

I did note that Charge now gives us two heat-free Flame Sweeps, which is awesome.
Quote:
Just whatever you do, make sure you attack before group mates, don't give them a chance to pull before you
Then they can tank it .

Thanks for the help!

OlosBC's Avatar


OlosBC
02.20.2013 , 12:58 AM | #6
Rail shot procs cylinder hit/dot (our only high threat ability other than grapple) on target+4 closest, and is a "smart" aoe, won't hit CCs. The don't won't go away if someone tries to cc after though

Rocket punch is still better and more frequent single target.



Ptech tanks have never needed accuracy in this game. I had 0 just as soon as I could get enough columi helms/gloves to replace what my rakata came with, back when bonethrasher was the only boss in kp.
Olos - 55 Hybrid Powertech
Fonia - 55 Madness Sorceror
<Dark Fury> of Jedi Covenant
Previously Fonia and Daygoru of Tempest server in SWG.