Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

BCNN Newsflash: Cold War Called Off - “It’s Pointless” Say Military Leaders

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
BCNN Newsflash: Cold War Called Off - “It’s Pointless” Say Military Leaders

Wolfcp
12.20.2011 , 10:24 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Gun_Slinger View Post
No, you misunderstand, not saying the empire existed for thousands of years, saying the republic did, and overnight (20-30 years) it is all overwritten and in IV we've got "the rebellion against the empire" instead of "the rebellion against the corrupted republic." Doesn't make sense to me.
Psssst! Rome became an Empire, after being a Republic for centuries
---
"Quotation is a serviceable substitute for wit." -Oscar Wilde

Gun_Slinger
12.20.2011 , 10:43 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfcp View Post
Psssst! Rome became an Empire, after being a Republic for centuries
Well let's be clear, centuries do not equate to literally TENS of thousands of year of existance as a republic. Even in the minds of the people it would be the republic...but corrupted. I dunno, kinda a moot argument but I just think about it sometimes. Vader and Emperor must have been hard at work during that time!
"It's a trap!" "Your tastebuds can't repel firepower of this magnitude!"

Humboldt
12.20.2011 , 10:51 AM | #13
ROFLCOPTER!!!!!!!
<fup><fup><fup><fup><fup><fup><fup><fup><fup><fup> <fup><fup>

Pridesong
12.20.2011 , 10:54 AM | #14
You're confusing your terms. A Republic is no longer a Republic when it's ruled by a single tyrant. A Republic by definition is a government ran by elected representatives. Once the government is no longer ruled by elected representatives, it's no longer a Republic.

re·pub·lic/riˈpəblik/
Noun:
A state in which supreme power is held by the people and their elected representatives, and which has an elected or nominated president.

em·pire/ˈempī(ə)r/
Noun:
An extensive group of states or countries under a single supreme authority, formerly esp. an emperor or empress.

Hydranova
12.20.2011 , 10:54 AM | #15
Hahahaha!! wow, this made my day.
Char name: Karratan
Class: sith Sorceror
Race: Human (male)
Guild: The Black Mantle

Gun_Slinger
12.20.2011 , 12:07 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Pridesong View Post
You're confusing your terms. A Republic is no longer a Republic when it's ruled by a single tyrant. A Republic by definition is a government ran by elected representatives. Once the government is no longer ruled by elected representatives, it's no longer a Republic.

re·pub·lic/riˈpəblik/
Noun:
A state in which supreme power is held by the people and their elected representatives, and which has an elected or nominated president.

em·pire/ˈempī(ə)r/
Noun:
An extensive group of states or countries under a single supreme authority, formerly esp. an emperor or empress.
I dunno if you are referring to me...but I'm not confusing anything at all. Quoting dictionary definitions is kinda a dick move btw...reserved for the likes of Antonin Scalia...

I know what each thing is (having gotten a degree in political science and law), what I am saying is that the republic's identity has been ingrained for tens of thousands of years, and in a matter of a few decades the colloquial name of it to a farm boy in a remote planet not even close to the civil war is that of "empire" rather than "republic, but taken over, different, corrupted" FURTHERMORE, as we see in ep. IV, the senate had JUST been dissolved at that point. So by your staid, dictionary definitions, it was techincally a Republic in form up to that point. In fact Palpy did everything he could to maintain that outward visage so he could take over slowly a little bit at a time. So, again, why, all of a sudden EMPIRE! It takes a lot to overcome tens of THOUSANDS of years of being known as "the galactic republic." The identity as EMPIRE is just portrayed as so thoroughly integrated in IV, when they had JUST dissolved the senate. It's inconsistant.
"It's a trap!" "Your tastebuds can't repel firepower of this magnitude!"

Entropicana
12.20.2011 , 03:56 PM | #17
BCNN Update:
Mystical Vision of Far Future "Logically Inconsistent" Say Experts

Ravager
12.20.2011 , 08:01 PM | #18
This is great.
Sexy Panther Fighting Corps!(Spfc!) Selkath.com Forums
The most awesome clubs on Earth. We have a mascot. We are working on the laundromat.
Buskar- The Casual Mandalorian Swinging And Hanging Around Guild

Zooball
12.20.2011 , 10:25 PM | #19
Love the OP post..........Star Wars according to Douglas Adams. LOL