Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Non-geared players in Gree Event


OFAWFletch's Avatar


OFAWFletch
02.17.2013 , 05:59 PM | #1
I have noticed this week the posts seen in General chat, as well as in Unity Examination SM ops chat, people getting kicked out of the Ops group simply because they were led to believe they weren't geared enough to play in that ops group. What the hell is wrong with this community that people that A> don't play this game as much as some of these "Holier than thou" geared more experience players do. B> Have War Hero or higher end gear that allot of people have. I think it's pretty unfair for lesser players that don't have the great gear be singled out and kicked from an Ops group. It's mean an cruel to those that pay and enjoy the game in general that is just trying to finish a mission they were given and have to deal with *******es that think they can just kick people out of a group because they aren't as "Geared" as the big players are, JUST SAYIN! Some people aren't in Guilds and aren't on as much as most, and it's just not right to see this kind of Nazi crap going on in this game!!

Kitru's Avatar


Kitru
02.17.2013 , 06:21 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by OFAWFletch View Post
I think it's pretty unfair for lesser players that don't have the great gear be singled out and kicked from an Ops group.
It's not "unfair" if they're doing it for an explicit reason, which "gear" is entirely appropriate to call someone out on. If you're trying to do content without sufficient gear, you're functionally asking that the people that *do* have better gear make up your own inadequacies. Just because you pay your $15/month (or threw a few dollars at the devs by buying some stuff from the cartel market) does not mean that you're instantly deserving of running with people doing a relevant piece of content, especially since the success of said content is based upon collective effort such that, if you're not doing enough, someone else has to make up for it. It's entirely appropriate within the purview of a group leader to deny someone a spot because they don't have good enough gear. It's not "Nazi crap", as you so eloquently put it; it's only bringing people that can actually carry their own weight.

Of course, to be described as being undergeared for SM Xeno, you pretty much have to be in unoptimized leveling gear, which is, honestly, laughably inexcusable, considering all of the free gear you get. If you're being denied a spot in an Hm group because of your gear, it's more appropriate because that requires at least full Columi to not get carried.

It also depends on what role you want to play: DPS can get along with marginally worse gear and sometimes healers, but tanks are almost never admitted if they're undergeared. If you're a tank, there are explicit times when you have to be able to take a certain amount of damage within a short period of time and no amount of healing is going to keep you alive. As such, if you're undergeared, chances are you're not getting admitted if the group leader knows what s/he's doing.

Even more so, there stands a pretty good chance that, if you're undergeared, you likely don't know the fight, and a lot of people just don't have the interest or patience to teach someone a piece of content (especially since, if you're undergeared, chances are better that you don't actually know how to play your class effectively and you'll need to be taught both your class *and* the fight/s in question to actually carry your weight).

Your entire argument is predicated upon you insisting to other people that you are entitled to run with a group doing a piece of content regardless of your actual ability to perform. That's not true. The only thing you're entitled to is playing your own character in whatever fashion you choose that doesn't break the EULA and Code of Conduct. Anything more than that is based upon the vagaries of the social contract, much of which, in operations, is predicated upon things such as gear, knowledge, skill, and personality in order to "deserve" a spot. If you don't like the fact that other players seem to exclude you, it's your own responsibility to address those relevant weaknesses rather than simply complaining that you're entitled to something that you're not getting.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

OFAWFletch's Avatar


OFAWFletch
02.17.2013 , 06:25 PM | #3
This isn't about me but someone I know that doesn't play as much as most, and is a DPS Marauder wearing Tionese gear with a few pieces augmented. And was a 16man SM op. This is just a Rant to for the little people out there that aren't geared as what some other people are.

JohnNightWalker's Avatar


JohnNightWalker
02.17.2013 , 06:33 PM | #4
No one like wipes thats why.

NotRonin's Avatar


NotRonin
02.17.2013 , 06:45 PM | #5
I blame it on the increased repair cost. People don't want to spend 10k each time they wipe.

AshlaBoga's Avatar


AshlaBoga
02.17.2013 , 07:23 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by NotRonin View Post
I blame it on the increased repair cost. People don't want to spend 10k each time they wipe.
Even before 1.7 a lot of people (myself included) had started pugging less and less. The issue for me is that I get used to the high quality performance from my guildies and like going into a fight where everyone has spent time watching the strategy vid and are all minimaxed up the wazoo. You get used to everyone being able to do HM TFB half asleep and then you expect non-progression content to be a speedrun. If your guild 12 manned HM Xenoanalyst II with no wipes, you'd be pretty annoyed after 3 wipes with a pug group on SM story wouldn't you?
Typhojem Legacy, Jung Ma server
VICIOUS
Lord of Corruption

Khallos's Avatar


Khallos
02.17.2013 , 08:43 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by OFAWFletch View Post
This isn't about me but someone I know that doesn't play as much as most, and is a DPS Marauder wearing Tionese gear with a few pieces augmented. And was a 16man SM op. This is just a Rant to for the little people out there that aren't geared as what some other people are.
Content in the game is designed specifically for different gear levels - and there's a transition from one level to the other. Becoming a fresh 50, taking your free gear and then winging because you don't have the time or inclination to improve your gear but still want to do harder content is just silly.

Radzkie's Avatar


Radzkie
02.17.2013 , 09:19 PM | #8
Experienced/geared players are not obligated to carry fresh 50s through harder/any content.

Draloch's Avatar


Draloch
02.18.2013 , 01:13 AM | #9
Personally, I'm inclined to carry someone for story mode content if there's a decent geared player or 2 to help carry.

It would be a shame for someone not to be able to get a legacy weapon because they can't find a group for an easy story mode boss.

ChicagoBearsFan's Avatar


ChicagoBearsFan
02.18.2013 , 08:51 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by OFAWFletch View Post
I have noticed this week the posts seen in General chat, as well as in Unity Examination SM ops chat, people getting kicked out of the Ops group simply because they were led to believe they weren't geared enough to play in that ops group. What the hell is wrong with this community that people that A> don't play this game as much as some of these "Holier than thou" geared more experience players do. B> Have War Hero or higher end gear that allot of people have. I think it's pretty unfair for lesser players that don't have the great gear be singled out and kicked from an Ops group. It's mean an cruel to those that pay and enjoy the game in general that is just trying to finish a mission they were given and have to deal with *******es that think they can just kick people out of a group because they aren't as "Geared" as the big players are, JUST SAYIN! Some people aren't in Guilds and aren't on as much as most, and it's just not right to see this kind of Nazi crap going on in this game!!
I bet if I showed up for a NASCAR race with my minivan they would NOT let me race (and probably have a good laugh at my expense)...why? Because I don't have the proper equipment. Just because some one is 50 and CAN get a mission does not mean they are yet capable of completing it. The fact is that players that have put in a lot of time and gone through the gear grind don't want to waste their precious time on under geared players who will likely be a burden and cause wipes. If you are a casual player, that's fine, it's your choice. But having invested LESS time in the game why would you think that you are entitled to the same content and rewards that others have spent a lot of time working up to. The problem that "casual players" need to understand is that once you turn 50 there is no longer "leveling up" but rather a "gear progression". While I admit that SWTOR has not made it very clear as to what gear is expected for what content nonetheless it is very important, especially to players who have been around a while. Calling people who do gear checks for raids "elitist" is simply unfair. They are simply experienced and are trying to be efficient with their and the group's time. I would even suggest that people who are under geared who think they are "entitled" to skip steps and run content beyond their gear are the "elitist" ones. Just because it is new content does not mean everyone can complete it and everyone get the same reward. Also just because it's a SM ops doesnt mean any 50 in any gear can run it.
Now,If you excuse me, I need to finish puting sponsor decals on my minivan, the Daytona 500 is comming up and I think it would be fun to race in that.
Bearsfan - Commando Healer / DPS
Chicago - Shadow Tank
BeÓrs - Scoundrel Healer
<The Jedi of Camelot>JawaSpanker Legacy ~ POT5 Server