Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Information Request: Crashing to Desktop

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Information Request: Crashing to Desktop
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

vilezombie
02.14.2013 , 01:13 PM | #1011
I'm wondering what the status is on this bug. A problem brought to light back in November and is now February and still happening without any update other than the first post saying that it will be looked into is disheartening. While I won't sit here and say "FIX IT NOW!", I will point out this thread now has over a thousand replies and I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd like to know if something was found, if it's in the process of being fix, or just any update. Please take a moment and bring all of us who are effected by this bug up-to-speed on the progress in a bug fix. Thanks.
The most important things are the hardest to say, because words diminish them.
~Stephen King

pubstarrandi
02.14.2013 , 01:45 PM | #1012
Name of server: Jedi Covenant
Name of character(s) affected. Main is Furi'k, Every Character on Account
Frequency of crashing – how many crashes, how often? Just like others, it's very consistent. Since I began playing again in later November, i consistently crash to desktop at about 1.5 hours. Im finally commenting because since Gree patch it's much, much faster now and I fear i'll soon not be able to play the game. This happens every day, all day about an hour or less after log in. I run a 32 bit system so i think its a memory leak.
Any potentially helpful information about crash triggers, what you are doing before a crash, etc. Doesn't seem to matter where, just a matter of time. Things that increase the time frequency of crash: Zoning into planets one after another tends to set the timer off quicker. Loading into IF from pvp and back and forth quickens it.
Your DXDiag in spoiler tags
Spoiler

reliability report
Spoiler

7. This most definitely a crash to desktop, not a dc issue.

Mirabetta
02.14.2013 , 01:47 PM | #1013
Quote: Originally Posted by Sambril View Post
1. Red Eclipse
2. Any
3. Every couple of hours, so I get several crashes per day. Faster if I do a lot of alt-switching which I do for crafting.
4. When the memory usage gets to a certain critical value the game dies. Activity can be virtually anything, though most common when loading a new area or character as the game then needs a large amount of memory all at once, but it can also happen when viewing the GTN or opening a bank or just standing doing nothing at all and a new speeder or outfit or whatever passes.

I am running on Vista 32 bit with 4GB of RAM. These problems started after 1.4 and nothing else on my machine has changed. I am not going to waste my time running diagnostics on my computer.

Yup... I could've typed this one for myself. Verbatim!
I'm to the point of quitting the game.

Nakti
02.14.2013 , 02:34 PM | #1014
1. The Ebon Hawk
2. Nyrin, Nyrsta, Anashai, Avathian, Dioxís, Synai, Saraí, Synoxis, Saräi, Ariä, Jenkari'uul, Nyrín, Avannah - In short all of them.
3. Random. 5-6 times a night
4. Nothing I've noticed. I crash while sitting on my ship as well as out in the world, on fleet, during pvp, or Ops
Spoiler

Spoiler

7. This is a Crash to Desktop. It just randomly closes the entire program and I have to boot the hole thing up again.
I will discover what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you, to deny you, to undermine you, and to make you fear.

Sentient
02.14.2013 , 09:52 PM | #1015
Name of server : Dalborra

Name of character(s) affected: Car'cass, Falcao, Dor'en

Frequency of crashing: Very Often. Everytime I play. So much so I keep crashing when online for 5 minutes until I reboot, get a bit more time and it starts again. I eventually get frustrated and stop playing.

Any potentially helpful information about crash triggers, what you are doing before a crash:
There is no pattern. I could be standing on the Fleet, Fighting an NPC, exploring, in a Heroic instance. It's very frustrating that it's been going on so long. I set my video settings extremely low. I got a significant amount of time today (a couple of hours). I tried a memory cleaner, ran memtest86. Changed an NVidia setting for SWTOR.EXE and turned OFF "Threaded optimization".

Problem Report(s):
Spoiler

Today - I got another APPCRASH right after the first, this was new.

Spoiler

DxDiag
Spoiler

Can we please get someone to respond to this long, ongoing thread? No one has posted from the company what the status is on this problem. Communication is key.

OwenBrooks
02.14.2013 , 11:12 PM | #1016
Quote: Originally Posted by pubstarrandi View Post
Name of server: Jedi Covenant
Name of character(s) affected. Main is Furi'k, Every Character on Account
Frequency of crashing – how many crashes, how often? Just like others, it's very consistent. Since I began playing again in later November, i consistently crash to desktop at about 1.5 hours. Im finally commenting because since Gree patch it's much, much faster now and I fear i'll soon not be able to play the game. This happens every day, all day about an hour or less after log in. I run a 32 bit system so i think its a memory leak.
Any potentially helpful information about crash triggers, what you are doing before a crash, etc. Doesn't seem to matter where, just a matter of time. Things that increase the time frequency of crash: Zoning into planets one after another tends to set the timer off quicker. Loading into IF from pvp and back and forth quickens it.
Your DXDiag in spoiler tags
Spoiler

reliability report
Spoiler

7. This most definitely a crash to desktop, not a dc issue.
Too help your crash issue in Win 7 32bit and also for Nakti and Mirabetta with vista 32bit
Spoiler

OwenBrooks
02.14.2013 , 11:19 PM | #1017
Quote: Originally Posted by Sentient View Post
Name of server : Dalborra

Name of character(s) affected: Car'cass, Falcao, Dor'en

Frequency of crashing: Very Often. Everytime I play. So much so I keep crashing when online for 5 minutes until I reboot, get a bit more time and it starts again. I eventually get frustrated and stop playing.

Any potentially helpful information about crash triggers, what you are doing before a crash:
There is no pattern. I could be standing on the Fleet, Fighting an NPC, exploring, in a Heroic instance. It's very frustrating that it's been going on so long. I set my video settings extremely low. I got a significant amount of time today (a couple of hours). I tried a memory cleaner, ran memtest86. Changed an NVidia setting for SWTOR.EXE and turned OFF "Threaded optimization".

Problem Report(s):
Spoiler

Today - I got another APPCRASH right after the first, this was new.

Spoiler

DxDiag
Spoiler

Can we please get someone to respond to this long, ongoing thread? No one has posted from the company what the status is on this problem. Communication is key.
Run a clean boot and disable anything in your task scheduler to see if it helps.
I run win 7 64 bit with nvidia 670gtx, no crashes, no lag,no fps issues, bit hard to fix something that is working for me, very difficult sometimes to find out what is different on a user environment that causes issues for one and not another unfortunately.

Edit - ok the crash is in : nvd3dum.dll which is the nvidia driver, either do a clean install or revert to the previous version to see if it fixes the issue.

Sentient
02.15.2013 , 02:31 AM | #1018
Quote: Originally Posted by OwenBrooks View Post
Run a clean boot and disable anything in your task scheduler to see if it helps.
I run win 7 64 bit with nvidia 670gtx, no crashes, no lag,no fps issues, bit hard to fix something that is working for me, very difficult sometimes to find out what is different on a user environment that causes issues for one and not another unfortunately.

Edit - ok the crash is in : nvd3dum.dll which is the nvidia driver, either do a clean install or revert to the previous version to see if it fixes the issue.
I've have completely re-installed the system on a separate HDD with only what was necessary to run the game. The game still crashed. I can try to roll back the driver but I KNOW this will not correct the issue. It's been happening since before I upgraded my driver "thinking" it would fix a potential problem with the video drivers.

So, the problem has existed through different versions of my video drivers.

That being said, if it was video related it must be something the game is calling on that is applied to NVidia and ATI since the problem exists in both environments.

Either that, or there are several BUGS in the game that are causing the same symptoms.

I guess the most frustrating part of it is that Bioware has just simply ignored the problem as people run from the game. Word of mouth on the internet is going to be it's death if they don't deal with the problems first rather than shove in more content that appears to be having problems as well, with all the patching everyday.

Sometimes all it takes is some communication.

Thanks for the information, I will try to roll back the driver and see where that takes me.

Cheers!

OwenBrooks
02.15.2013 , 02:44 AM | #1019
Do any other direct x games do this on occasion ?
I have seen issues with nvidia cards on occasion where they have gone and raised the voltage to the card a fraction and crashes have stopped, mind i saw a post elsewhere last night where they lowered there ram voltage and crashes stopped in games.
Sometimes I think whoever invented computers should of been shot

The only thing i am not running default on my win 7 64bit computer is the ram is set to a xmb profile.

Krillbane
02.15.2013 , 04:53 AM | #1020
Here is my Error report
Tomb of Freedon Nadd
Krilltok and Vurrtok
2 or 3 times in 4 hours
I'm doing nothing but playing the game was on Ilum
It either crashes to desktop no warning or to an instance loading screen, Last one client stopped working and I get a Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library error caused by SWTOR.exe

Reliability Report
Spoiler

DXDIAG

Spoiler
Nuff Sed