Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Information Request: Crashing to Desktop

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Information Request: Crashing to Desktop
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Ravagin
02.11.2013 , 02:36 PM | #1001
I have been having issues for months now; my patience is wearing exceedingly thin. I understand the value of data, so I will try this path. If it is not clear by now that this is NOT machine or player specific, then I can only hope that providing this data will convince someone on the Dev team that the problem lies in the game, not on the player side.

1. Shadowlands
2. All characters played; I have over ten characters and with the exception of a level 1 that I have created but not played, I have seen CTD on every character.
3. At least once every 4-6 hours of play. More frequently happens on weekends, because I spend more time playing then. But also happens even on weeknights after a short period of play.
4. Crashes trigger in all situations. Standing still on my character's starship. At the fleet. In warzones (most recently on the character Vardazar, in Voidstar Warzone after downloading the data file, then respawning in the defender area; briefly saw the other players, then CTD - was standing completely still at that time). Have had it happen in Flashpoints and Operations, on worlds, in story instances. Just about anywhere. Frequently see it happen as I begin to move and rotate my POV, but happens at other times as well. May be a connection to server lag; I have seen lag spikes that seem to coincide with the CTD, but at other times there hasn't been a lag issue evident (such as when I am just standing on my ship).
5. DxDiag. As a general note, I have been playing SWTOR since before release on the same machine, with the same HW. I have upgraded the drivers for my graphics etc. since then, but made no other changes. Up until patch 1.5, I did not experience CTD or some of the other mystery log outs and similar events, but they have been frequent since that patch.

Spoiler

6. Reliability report: now, this is very interesting. I have only two reports from Windows that SWTOR crashed, both of them back in January. I have had at least a dozen crashes since that time, and none of them showed in Reliability tracking. I have cleared entries, and will track this more frequently going forward. This seems very odd.

7. Yes, this is a full CTD, not just logging out (although that has happened more since patch 1.5 than previously).
Justice needs no rules; it is recognizable to all who are just. Laws exist merely to give a select few an advantage over all others.

DarthVitrial
02.11.2013 , 04:19 PM | #1002
Where: Alderaan.
When: After about 5 hours of play.
DXDiag: Too long to post.

Problem report:
Spoiler

gypo
02.11.2013 , 05:52 PM | #1003
1. Prophecy of the Five
2. All.
3. Very frequently. once every hour or so.
4. seemingly random.
Spoiler

Spoiler

7. crash to desktop

vilezombie
02.12.2013 , 12:16 AM | #1004
1. The Ebon Hawk

2. All characters on server

3. Several times a day. Doesn't seem to have a specific pattern (I.E. every hour or so)

4. The crashes happen no matter what I am doing, opening a menu, zoning into my ship or onto a world. I do notice the game seems to pause for a slight second before it happens. This pause also happens without crashing but the pausing seems to happen more and more before the crash to desktop.

Spoiler

Spoiler

7. Each and every time this crashes the game to the desktop asking me to either send or not to send this error to Microsoft. I have to restart SWtoR and log back into the game.
The most important things are the hardest to say, because words diminish them.
~Stephen King

OwenBrooks
02.12.2013 , 02:56 AM | #1005
Quote: Originally Posted by gypo View Post
1. Prophecy of the Five
2. All.
3. Very frequently. once every hour or so.
4. seemingly random.
Spoiler

Spoiler

7. crash to desktop
You do know that your computer cannot use the 8Gb ram you have installed ?

Here is the link to windows versions and max physical memory , yours is 4Gb http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...mits_windows_8

And only has Available OS Memory: 3248MB RAM
To use the 8 GB you will need to run a 64bit OS, but in between time the below settings will help with your crashes.
Spoiler

ChaseKross
02.13.2013 , 12:54 PM | #1006
Quote: Originally Posted by OwenBrooks View Post
Hi Chasekross,

The last few errors was crashes in the video driver,

Try the following drivers with a clean install http://www2.ati.com/drivers/13-1_vis...d_ccc_whql.exe
Thanks for your helped, problem is fixed,

Pefny
02.13.2013 , 07:51 PM | #1007
Quote: Originally Posted by OwenBrooks View Post
(...)
And only has Available OS Memory: 3248MB RAM
To use the 8 GB you will need to run a 64bit OS, but in between time the below settings will help with your crashes.
Spoiler
Hey OwenBrooks,
Will this trick also work with Windows XP pro SP 3?
CERUS - PYRO MERC/CERFUN - ASSAULT COMMANDO - ATM on vacation, thanks to critical dameges to AC made by BW
CERATION - PYRO/SHIELD PT
BEROYA LEGACY - ToFN

OwenBrooks
02.14.2013 , 12:40 AM | #1008
Xp is a little more difficult and you should have 4Gb ram installed

For Windows XP 32 Bit
Spoiler

Rayneey
02.14.2013 , 05:45 AM | #1009
1 - Prophecy of the Five
2 - ßâckstâßz
3 - Random, 4 crashes in total I believe and a very random pattern.
4 - It has crashed doing dailies in the black hole, crashed while joining a flashpoint, crashed while coming to the end of a pvp match, crashed in the central area of ilum.
5 -
Spoiler

6 -
Spoiler

6 (log2) -
Spoiler

7 - This is a crash to desktop, where it completly crashes to my desktop in a matter of 2-5 seconds and I have to actually restart the game.

Khyle
02.14.2013 , 08:47 AM | #1010
Quote: Originally Posted by Khyle View Post
I don't want to jinx it but I seem to have fixed my problem crashing to desktop (especially in warzones) simply by setting Shadows to low instead of high. Annoying, since my graphic card should be enough to run this game on complete max settings, but I guess it's not that big of a deal. I barely noticed them anyway, lol.

Let's see if this keeps up, but I've been playing for hours without a problem (well, I got the dreadful "blue screen" once, but that's for another day ).
Well, sadly, it's still not fixed. Somehow it's less frequent than before, but it still happens.
"You let one of them go, but that's nothing new. Every now and then, a little victim's spared... because she smiled, cos he's got freckles, cos they begged. And that's how you live with yourself, that's how you slaughter millions. Because once in a while, on a whim, if the wind's in the right direction… you happen to be kind."