Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

My thoughts on the upcoming Trooper DPS changes

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Trooper > Commando
My thoughts on the upcoming Trooper DPS changes

CrazyOldMystic
02.10.2013 , 06:42 AM | #21
Elctro Net and into the fray will not last, they will get nerfed heavily after release. Its ok for other classes to put dots on us or stun lock us, but its never acceptable for a trooper to be able to do the same. I like those abilities but the fact is people will go freaking bazerk over Elctro Net. Some dps trys to kill a commando and into the fray gets in the way, they will be on the forums ************ up a storm. The problem I see here is people have gotten used to stunlocking troopers and casting them aside. I think Electro Net and into the Fray would give them a taste of their own medicine, and they will not like that. Hell look at what happened to blitz, cry grenade, and stock strike. We used to be able to knock people back with a good punch. Well that did not last long. Now people just seem to be able to run out of cryo grenade most of the time.

As for the rest they may let us keep those abilities without massive nerfing.

As for assault being useless I am not convinced of that. I have been using gunnery for the longest time, but ever sense people started grav round spamming until it was nerfed, its sort of turned into the joke of swtor. Every time I use grav round I hear spam grav round or some other stupid statement about it. So I went to assault picked up some points in gunnery for charged bolts. Seems to work better in pvp, I got allot more mobility, and I am no longer a sitting target. As long as I get that dot on them, their health drops fast. I also went to assault on my level 44 vanguard, with some tanking spec, seems to do the trick in non 50 pvp bracket. It also comes down to numbers for me. I hate numbers but sometimes it does. In gunnery I have to sit there and stack grav round 3 times for max damage. In assault one shot my dot is up, the rest is charged bolts, or full auto. If they get too close high impact bolt.

Just my thoughts.

Smashbrother
02.10.2013 , 12:44 PM | #22
I just want to point out that something listed under the basic class on Darth Hater doesn't mean it is for both classes. Dual saber throw is listed under JK, but it requires 2 sabers to use so it's clearly a sentinel only ability. I'm 90% sure the net is only for commandos and not for VGs, which means commandos will provide a unique ability to bring to RWZs.

CommanderKeeva
02.10.2013 , 05:50 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Smashbrother View Post
I just want to point out that something listed under the basic class on Darth Hater doesn't mean it is for both classes. Dual saber throw is listed under JK, but it requires 2 sabers to use so it's clearly a sentinel only ability. I'm 90% sure the net is only for commandos and not for VGs, which means commandos will provide a unique ability to bring to RWZs.
Okay, that would make sense actually. Though, I'd still trade it for Shoulder Cannon as I have no interest in PvP anymore as a Commando.
BEING A GOOD SOLDIER COMES DOWN TO ONE THING, ONE SINGLE QUESTION:
WHAT ARE YOU PREPARED TO SACRIFICE?

Smashbrother
02.13.2013 , 01:52 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by CommanderKeeva View Post
Okay, that would make sense actually. Though, I'd still trade it for Shoulder Cannon as I have no interest in PvP anymore as a Commando.
Well maybe we'll get shoulder cannon too, and not just VGs. But I doubt it since it says 10m.

Furiel
02.13.2013 , 03:36 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Smashbrother View Post
Well maybe we'll get shoulder cannon too, and not just VGs. But I doubt it since it says 10m.
Maybe, the possibility exists that we will get it and it will be 30m range for us since commando AC makes explosive round 30m, so there is precident for it. I'm not going to hold my breath tho.
Furiel Plush
Cardinal and Raid Coordinator of The Church of Alvis

venomlash
02.13.2013 , 09:30 PM | #26
I think only the Commando gets Electro Net and Hyper Barrels and only the Vanguard gets Shoulder Cannon and Hyper Augs.
I'm not a huge fan of the change to Hyper Aug buff to Explosive Surge. I mean, setting multiple targets on fire with one attack was the Assault Commando's thing, using Hail of Bolts. The Assault Vanguard got the guaranteed Plasma Cell proc with Ion Pulse instead...if they're giving Vanguard an AoE proc, we Commandos should get a guaranteed proc.
Especially in PvP, not being able to reliably proc Plasma Cell is a pain when going against healers. If a Vanguard's DoT is cleansed, he can put it right back on again. Commandos can't reapply Plasma Cell as easily; we have to cross our fingers and spam Hammer Shots.
Quote: Originally Posted by MichelleArcher View Post
Hey there, all! This thread has passed the dreaded 1,000 post limit, and is now in fire. Thanks for the fun, but we feel this discussion as run its course. We will not be restarting this thread.
Jarrant Gartin, Gunnery Commando, Spark of Hope, Begeren Colony

JimmyTheCannon
02.15.2013 , 02:58 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Furiel View Post
Maybe, the possibility exists that we will get it and it will be 30m range for us since commando AC makes explosive round 30m, so there is precident for it. I'm not going to hold my breath tho.
Explosive Round is 30 meters for Vanguards, too.

Many of these datamined skills aren't labeled fully - every single one is labeled with just a base class, NOT an advanced class. Some of them are obviously for specific classes (ones that are listed in Gunnery or Tactics), others you can't really be certain yet.

As previously mentioned, Hyper Assault Cell is clearly Vanguard and Hyper Barrels is clearly Commando.

Into the Fray could go for either or both. Hard to tell.

Shoulder Cannon certainly *looks* to be a Vanguard-only ability, which is a shame. Perhaps Electro Net will be Commando only. Again - it looks designed for Commandos, as a way to keep PVP enemies from using gap closers. I can see it being useful on certain bosses in raids, too (TFB Kephess, for example, when kiting him to pillars), but you're right, it's primarily PVP.

Interesting that the aggro dump is getting a PVP usage. On the subject of Diversion, I've been wondering - when you use it, does it trigger your GCD? The Mercenary version, Chaff Flare, does - and it's the only aggro dump I've seen in the game that does.

CommanderKeeva
02.16.2013 , 05:32 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by JimmyTheCannon View Post
Interesting that the aggro dump is getting a PVP usage. On the subject of Diversion, I've been wondering - when you use it, does it trigger your GCD? The Mercenary version, Chaff Flare, does - and it's the only aggro dump I've seen in the game that does.
No, diversion doesn't trigger a GCD. It's weird that the Merc mirror ability would. (I can't confirm or deny this as I don't have a Mercenary) If the Merc's aggro dump really triggers a GCD, it's just another sign from Bioware how much they hate this AC.
BEING A GOOD SOLDIER COMES DOWN TO ONE THING, ONE SINGLE QUESTION:
WHAT ARE YOU PREPARED TO SACRIFICE?

Quantemoq
02.17.2013 , 07:55 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by CommanderKeeva View Post
No, diversion doesn't trigger a GCD. It's weird that the Merc mirror ability would. (I can't confirm or deny this as I don't have a Mercenary) If the Merc's aggro dump really triggers a GCD, it's just another sign from Bioware how much they hate this AC.
100% confirmed it is on gcd.
probably a bug that will never be fixed

SkinzOCAU
02.18.2013 , 03:33 AM | #30
I will keep saying this. Unless Bioware makes Trooper more effective with these changes [or at least fun], unsub. So far, it is looking like what many have already predicted. The coming changes will buff us to where class currently are, whilst they are all then buffed to level 55.

BW/EA do not care about Commandos, and will continue to do so unless we stop giving them $$$.

I sincerely hope that the changes make us viable and competitive once more, which is something we have not had since 1.2!!!! But I have to agree with CrazyOldMystic. The OP classes will cry to the high heavens about any abilities that make us not the free kills we currently are. They will whine until we are nerfed back to our current levels. We have been bad for so long, that the idea of competitive Commandos/Mercs is actually offensive to most people who play as other ACs.

Quote: Originally Posted by Quantemoq View Post
100% confirmed it is on gcd.
probably a bug that will never be fixed
Since rolling a Marauder and a Guardian, and noticing the lack of bugs these classes have, I have come to the conclusion that Trooper/Merc is just unfinished.