Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

why are people freaking out about Ilum in 1.7?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
why are people freaking out about Ilum in 1.7?

CJAShadow's Avatar


CJAShadow
02.13.2013 , 02:09 AM | #321
What?

You don't need to pvp to get reputation, you just need to do you pve quests every day and then to do the world bosses....

So... are you angry cause you cant get ALL of your reputation boosts since you arent able to/dont want to pvp?

Did you know that some pvp gear is better for PVE and vice versa?
PVP SET BONUSES FROM BATTLEMASTER ARE SOMETIMES BETTER THEN PVE ONES. Elite War Hero Relics are BIS for some classes in PVE. Did I just break your world view?

You aren't forced to pvp, you can just avoid those pvp quests and get your reputation from the world boss drops. If you are really interested in the story and need those quests done, find a group of like-minded players and check instances to see if people are grieving in those. It took me 1 hour for the pvp quests on one character while only 20 mins on the the other, depending on instances. THere were 14 instances of Ilum for me to choose from...

In SWTOR there is a little mix of pvp and pve. To be the very best, you need to do some of both. I think you are just too used to events being for PVE that you forget PVPers want adaptive gear too.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lock- Master Zhar Lestin
Cyann- Harbinger

Caelcorvalo's Avatar


Caelcorvalo
02.13.2013 , 03:38 AM | #322
Not everyone has 6-8 max level alts who can farm a smaller selection of content for the commendations/rep/tokens needed to make the best of the event. Similarly, not everyone can schedule an hour every day for the next two weeks simply to finish the pvp side of the event quest chains if all they have is one or two end-game ready characters.

When you have groups of players who choose to deny other players the opportunity to enjoy new content, it's a problem. Just earlier today I watched as 5 4-man teams from the same guild locked down the central area and denied anyone a chance to complete their quest objectives. They didn't even make an effort to complete it themselves, instead they simply camped the spot for almost 2 hours until the majority of players had transferred to another instance to finish their quests. I'm all for encouraging PVP in this game, but doing so at the expense of casuals is the wrong way to go about it.

Instead, have them fight over take-and-hold objectives that increase the rewards for the dominant faction in PVE content. If holding that central pvp area meant world bosses and heroics rewarded twice the usual number of Gree tokens for the same faction I would be in heaven. If factions needed to control a majority number of instances to maintain the "buff", that would be perfect. Casuals won't be forced into the meat grinder for limited-time rewards, and more than a few of them would be tempted to give open-world pvp a shot when they can decide how much time they want to spend on it rather than have that choice decided by someone else.

kijthae's Avatar


kijthae
02.13.2013 , 03:46 AM | #323
Quote: Originally Posted by itsmymillertime View Post
forcing people to do pvp in order to do pve content on a pve server is what the problem is. DUH!!!
I cant call it doing pvp against players playing in a PVE servers.Everyone should be pve geared already.They got pvp gear? then its not a pve server.

AlrikFassbauer's Avatar


AlrikFassbauer
02.13.2013 , 07:35 AM | #324
The Wolves are happy about this Event.
The Sheep are not.
I'm a bad player.
I have no good reputation.
I never will.
Only bad reputation.

grombrinda's Avatar


grombrinda
02.13.2013 , 07:38 AM | #325
Quote: Originally Posted by Caelcorvalo View Post
Not everyone has 6-8 max level alts who can farm a smaller selection of content for the commendations/rep/tokens needed to make the best of the event. Similarly, not everyone can schedule an hour every day for the next two weeks simply to finish the pvp side of the event quest chains if all they have is one or two end-game ready characters.

When you have groups of players who choose to deny other players the opportunity to enjoy new content, it's a problem. Just earlier today I watched as 5 4-man teams from the same guild locked down the central area and denied anyone a chance to complete their quest objectives. They didn't even make an effort to complete it themselves, instead they simply camped the spot for almost 2 hours until the majority of players had transferred to another instance to finish their quests. I'm all for encouraging PVP in this game, but doing so at the expense of casuals is the wrong way to go about it.

Instead, have them fight over take-and-hold objectives that increase the rewards for the dominant faction in PVE content. If holding that central pvp area meant world bosses and heroics rewarded twice the usual number of Gree tokens for the same faction I would be in heaven. If factions needed to control a majority number of instances to maintain the "buff", that would be perfect. Casuals won't be forced into the meat grinder for limited-time rewards, and more than a few of them would be tempted to give open-world pvp a shot when they can decide how much time they want to spend on it rather than have that choice decided by someone else.
See now this is a good idea.
We didn't start the Star Wars,They were already fightin' em,since George was writing them!!

chaosmadness's Avatar


chaosmadness
02.13.2013 , 07:53 AM | #326
Quote: Originally Posted by itsmymillertime View Post
forcing people to do pvp in order to do pve content on a pve server is what the problem is. DUH!!!
Well, if you dont like pvp the problem is yours. We cant have always pve events dude...
Im a pvp player and finally we have a nice pvp Event !

demotivator's Avatar


demotivator
02.13.2013 , 08:28 AM | #327
And here is the one of the reasons why this kind of MMO will always fail. You cannot please both PvE and PvP crowds at once, it is impossible. As a game designer you need to choose who you are making your game for and stick to that decision. The more you want to mix PvE and PvP the more you are going to alienate both populations.

Some day that lesson will be learned eventually.



Quote: Originally Posted by chaosmadness View Post
Well, if you dont like pvp the problem is yours. We cant have always pve events dude...
Im a pvp player and finally we have a nice pvp Event !
It - is - not - a - PvP - event. The only rewards are empty gear, titles and pets (nothing PvP about it).

It is just a PvE event (mobs to kill, bosses to kill, so far I saw no quest requiring to kill X players) in a PvP area. That doesn't make it a PvP event.
Randomizing your forums.

Nydus's Avatar


Nydus
02.13.2013 , 08:49 AM | #328
Lord, events have to be new and unique and have a slightly different flavour. We can't have the rakghoul event over, and over, and over...

I also don't think everyone is entitled to a title or gear. That mentality is actually what diminishes the game and I sigh whenever I see people dressed the EXACT same way on fleet.

So if you want everything out of this event (remember, only some of the quests require PVP) prepare yourself for it with the FREE GEAR YOU GET AT 50 and make yourself useful in a group. Literally, you can complete every quest associated with this event with 2 people. Go SLIGHTLY outside your comfort zone.

And if you don't want to do the above, I specifically with every fibre of my being hope you don't get the gear or titles or anything associated with the event (because you'll have done nothing).

- Arcada

P.S. It becomes a PVP when a PLAYER attacks (VERSUS) another PLAYER. Stop making up ludicrous definitions.
The Arcada Legacy (Ebon Hawk)
Ord'os (Lvl.55 Sorcerer), Naresa (Lvl.53 Operative), Jagrafess (Lvl.19 Marauder)
Nydus (Lvl.54 Shadow), Toclafane (Lvl.27 Guardian)

chaosmadness's Avatar


chaosmadness
02.13.2013 , 08:49 AM | #329
Quote: Originally Posted by demotivator View Post
It - is - not - a - PvP - event. The only rewards are empty gear, titles and pets (nothing PvP about it).

It is just a PvE event (mobs to kill, bosses to kill, so far I saw no quest requiring to kill X players) in a PvP area. That doesn't make it a PvP event.
"A new Event, Relics of the Gree, has been added to the Western Ice Shelf on Ilum. An ancient Gree starship called "Gray Secant" has transformed the battlefield into a crucible for research, with PvE and PvP missions available for the duration of the Event...."

POPsi's Avatar


POPsi
02.13.2013 , 08:54 AM | #330
Quote: Originally Posted by chaosmadness View Post
"A new Event, Relics of the Gree, has been added to the Western Ice Shelf on Ilum. An ancient Gree starship called "Gray Secant" has transformed the battlefield into a crucible for research, with PvE and PvP missions available for the duration of the Event...."
There are no pvp missions there bold or not bold.... only pve ones in an area which encourages pvp to a certain degree.