Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Gender Change Option

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Lent_San's Avatar


Lent_San
02.07.2013 , 09:11 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
Agreed! I'm actually surprised by TORs lack of character customization. I would have thought it would be an industry standard.
I understand there will be limits on one's ability to customize a character, but TORs came out very limited. :/ I feel I have more customization with TERA and I'm stuck with the same body type, but get facial sliders and better hair options.
Well, there are just certain things that should be taken into consideration, when creating an MMO. People play the same characters for a long time. While in a single-player game you're eventually finished and could start a replay, in an MMO you're never really done, so it's really in the interest of the player to be able to change certain things after some time, a few months, a year, whatever. So Gender Change is just one of many options here, but to me a vital one.

Lent_San's Avatar


Lent_San
02.09.2013 , 05:11 AM | #32
I had another look at the gender change option in WoW. It's part of the "Allround Character Customization" bundle and you can basically change gender, name, facial features, hair- and skin color plus all the things you can change in-game in the barber shop. They charge you around $20 for it.

For minor changes, such as hair color and earrings etc. you needn't use that option but can use the in-game barber shop alone.

While I don't know if that would be feasible for SWTOR, UI-wise, I kind of like that solution, as you're required to pay for the bigger changes but the minor changes are in-game content and free.

SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
02.09.2013 , 08:07 AM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by Lent_San View Post
I had another look at the gender change option in WoW. It's part of the "Allround Character Customization" bundle and you can basically change gender, name, facial features, hair- and skin color plus all the things you can change in-game in the barber shop. They charge you around $20 for it.

For minor changes, such as hair color and earrings etc. you needn't use that option but can use the in-game barber shop alone.

While I don't know if that would be feasible for SWTOR, UI-wise, I kind of like that solution, as you're required to pay for the bigger changes but the minor changes are in-game content and free.
the only thing they'd really have to decide is if they should or shouldn't allow a change in race.

Lent_San's Avatar


Lent_San
02.09.2013 , 12:10 PM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by Wulox View Post
Also, back on topic, I support gender changes in-game, I made a female sith assassin that I'd much rather be a male now. And hell, sex changes are a real thing in real life, why are they not possible in star wars?
It's got nothing to do with real life stuff. Basically, if gender-swapped, you have a different char. It's not supposed to be the same char. I would create a new char and delete her, but since her equip, skills and mounts are bound, I'd lose them all, which sucks. So changing her into a guy via the CM would be practical. That's the only reason, really.

Lent_San's Avatar


Lent_San
02.09.2013 , 12:36 PM | #35
Preferably, why not have both options? I'd prefer mounts and all that to be legacy bound, but that's not gonna happen soon. Plus, I've invested quite some time into her that would go to waste, so legacy bound stuff, great, but this gender-swap would be good on top, and it would make them some money.

JovethGonzalez's Avatar


JovethGonzalez
02.09.2013 , 07:07 PM | #36 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Recently, we had to go back and clean this thread up because it was derailing from the topic at hand. As a reminder, please remember to stay on topic in this thread.

Vitas's Avatar


Vitas
02.09.2013 , 07:16 PM | #37
A gender change option I think may be a bit hard. Since companions are currently not romancable with both genders, I'm not sure how it would affect them after getting married to them.

However if a gender change option is possible, I don't think it should be made through the Cartel Market but via an additional paid service on the site.
If you'd like to see more Explorable Worlds in Star Wars: The Old Republic,
then head to this thread and discuss, list and vote which you'd like to see and explore in the game:

SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
02.09.2013 , 07:28 PM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by Vitas View Post
A gender change option I think may be a bit hard. Since companions are currently not romancable with both genders, I'm not sure how it would affect them after getting married to them.

However if a gender change option is possible, I don't think it should be made through the Cartel Market but via an additional paid service on the site.
I think either option would work just fine.

In fact, this may be a good way to get people to pay for it all twice! Change genders to reset companion storylines, then change back! I'm sure there's some people out there who would love to reset their companion storylines period, and everyone can point to this option, and make BW twice as much possibly!

Of course, you know, if BW wants to play that little money grab game.

AgentJacen's Avatar


AgentJacen
02.09.2013 , 08:22 PM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by JovethGonzalez View Post
Recently, we had to go back and clean this thread up because it was derailing from the topic at hand. As a reminder, please remember to stay on topic in this thread.
Could you please give your opinion? That post was kinda off-topic.
"Only I've been both Jedi and Sith, and found clarity in the force." -Revan

Tatile's Avatar


Tatile
02.10.2013 , 07:46 AM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by Vitas View Post
A gender change option I think may be a bit hard. Since companions are currently not romancable with both genders, I'm not sure how it would affect them after getting married to them.
There would be a conversation reset for romance and romanced companions which defaults it to "not done". As I mentioned above, if you are changing your female Warrior to a male Warrior and you have previously married Quinn, the married is not annulled, it is deleted. None of the romance conversations ever happened. The letters, if there are any, are removed from your inbox. Quinn no longer blows kisses to you as you enter the bridge.

The romances are reset.

The romances never happened.