Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

PvE DPS

I_Sithed_MyPants
02.08.2013 , 12:28 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by adrunktick View Post
Yeah, I basically knew what I had to upgrade, and Ive been using a program called "SimulationCraft" which is supposed to work in conjunction with AskMrRobot, showing the capabilities of a class with a certain build, and it's telling me that my current gear level should be able to pull 1700 or so, now whether or not this is true, I'm not exactly sure, but I calculated with my merc and it got my dps number exactly after a 6 minute parse. However, that's not so much what I'm concerned about, I don't know why or how, but I can start off really well on a parse, hitting over 2k for that initial burst damage after relics and recklessness, but after I start to level out, my dps slowly just decreases and decreases and decreases, til I hit as low as 1300s. So I know I'm *********** up my rotation somewhere. In madness, I've tried applying my dots at different times with deathfield + recklessness to keep my dps going, while putting all my dots up at the same time with DF and then just FLing until the dots need to be re-applied doing around 1500 dps. With the SimC calculator, it was saying full lightning should be doing about 1700 or so, with madness behind....contrary to what everyone on here says. But for ***** and giggles I wanted to try and see how high I could get. (I prefer full lightning anyway, its more fun to me). I was using priority list as so: Affliction, Thundering blast, polarity shift, CD, LS until one final tick and TB again. Use FL, CL if proc'd. Then in priority: Re-apply affliction if almost down, Thundering blast if affliction is up, CD, LS or Force Lightning. Chain lightning with Barrage and Force lightning with Barrage. However, it seems I lose dps when casting TB and CD. Especially if I do TB then CD. So I tried filling that in between time with LS and force lightnings then re-applying dots or a long cast, but didn't see any improvements in dps. So if anyone has any thing that could help with my rotation, let me know, or tell me what everyone else is doing. I'll play the spec that pulls the most numbers, just want to useful in an operation setting.
I've never played lightning spec so I can't really comment on the priority list, probably is more fun to play though with the cooler looking attacks, however I'm a firm believer Madness will do more in ops with all the dots.

The thing with SimCraft is it calculates the theoretical dps with 0 human error and 0 movement, two things which occur a lot during operations. So it's not completely realistic numbers for ops comparison.

If you're interested Madness rotation / priority list would be something like:
Opener - Affliction > Recklessness > Relic > Death Field > Force Lightning (Wrath proc) > Crushing Darkness > Creeping Terror.
Priority List:
1. Death Field
2. Refresh DoT's as soon as they wear off (make sure you don't clip any dots)
2a. Only refresh Crushing Darkness with Wrath proc
3. Force Lightning (force regen from this)
4. Recklessness (Force Lightning & Death Field)
5. Relic

Or Hybrid rotation / priority list would be:
Opener - Affliction > Recklessness > Relic > Death Field > Force Lightning > Crushing Darkness (Wrath proc) > Shock (above 80% force & hope for chain shock proc).
Priority List:
1. Death Field
4. Shock (above 80% force and hope for chain shock proc!)
5. Recklessness (Force Lightning & Death Field)
6. Relic

Also if you're interested, on Sunday I'll be doing TFB hm, I can get our Sorcerer dps to combat log and I'll post it here so you can see the dps he does during ops?
Thuviel
<PC Gamer Mint Imperials>

R.I.P <Antisocial Elitists> I shall miss thee

renoxodus
02.08.2013 , 04:25 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by I_Sithed_MyPants View Post
If you're interested Madness rotation / priority list would be something like:
Opener - Affliction > Recklessness > Relic > Death Field > Force Lightning (Wrath proc) > Crushing Darkness > Creeping Terror.
Priority List:
1. Death Field
4. Recklessness (Force Lightning & Death Field)
5. Relic
I was under the impression that death field should never be used right after recklessness because it eats both charges. My opener has always been affliction > recklessness > relic > adrenal > force lightning > death field > crushing darkness (wrath proc) > creeping terror, and then basically the same priority list you are using.

Thoughts?

-IceHawk-
02.08.2013 , 10:15 PM | #23
This is correct; Recklesness (if not used on FL) should be used on a Wrath-CD then DF. You will get the Crit on both hits (assumedly), instead of consuming both charges on one hit.

Larry_Dallas
02.09.2013 , 12:47 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by renoxodus View Post
I was under the impression that death field should never be used right after recklessness because it eats both charges. My opener has always been affliction > recklessness > relic > adrenal > force lightning > death field > crushing darkness (wrath proc) > creeping terror, and then basically the same priority list you are using.

Thoughts?
Deathfield only eats both charges if it hits 2 targets. Against a single target boss, you want to use recklessness on a deathfield and a force lightning.

You never want to use recklessness on crushing darkness in PvE because it won't apply to fully half CD's damage (the dot does not benefit).

Edit: in the case of multiple targets eating both deathfield charges, it depends whether or not that's what you want. In some cases (specifically Jarg and Sorno, who you're probably double dotting), that's exactly what you want to do as much damage as possible.

Edit #2: you're right that it's "safer" to use force lightning then deathfield, but understand, if you're saving deathfields to line them up with something instead of using them immediately, you're likely going to lose DPS unless there's some strange boss mechanic, such as the drouks being too close together. Over a long enough fight, that'll add up.

Sosajoshua
02.09.2013 , 08:33 AM | #25
This is my rotation which ive never had a problem with:
CreepingTerror>Affliction>DF>Reckless>ForceLightni ng(x2)>CD(with Wrath)>FL rinse repeat
<A Wretched Hive> Jedi Covenant Rhaegis, Madness Sorcerer / Youngdragon, Advanced Proto-tech / Kha'leesi, Engineering Sniper / Dragonbane, Vengence Juggernaut

I_Sithed_MyPants
02.09.2013 , 10:51 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by renoxodus View Post

Thoughts?
If DF hits 2 targets it'll take 2 charges, against a single target boss it'll only take 1 charge
Thuviel

renoxodus
02.09.2013 , 11:10 AM | #27
If DF hits 2 targets it'll take 2 charges, against a single target boss it'll only take 1 charge
That makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

I_Sithed_MyPants
02.09.2013 , 04:11 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Sosajoshua View Post
This is my rotation which ive never had a problem with:
CreepingTerror>Affliction>DF>Reckless>ForceLightni ng(x2)>CD(with Wrath)>FL rinse repeat
Not using a charge of Recklessness on Death Field will lose you a bit of dps, a crit on Death Field is your biggest single target hit, about 5k I think, been a while since I used my sorc in ops.
Thuviel

Sosajoshua
02.09.2013 , 11:52 PM | #29
Not using a charge of Recklessness on Death Field will lose you a bit of dps, a crit on Death Field is your biggest single target hit, about 5k I think, been a while since I used my sorc in ops.
Ive found for me I do more overall dps using them on FL. But Ill test it out again on my DF and see what the difference is
<A Wretched Hive> Jedi Covenant Rhaegis, Madness Sorcerer / Youngdragon, Advanced Proto-tech / Kha'leesi, Engineering Sniper / Dragonbane, Vengence Juggernaut

Truescopes
02.10.2013 , 12:27 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Sosajoshua View Post
Ive found for me I do more overall dps using them on FL. But Ill test it out again on my DF and see what the difference is
Well, from using my numbers on a quick test:

The amount of damage gained from it is higher, death field gets a crit multiplier in your skill tree.
4 ticks of force lightning at 660 = 2640
4 ticks at force lightning 1163 = 4652
Death field non crit = 2254
Death field crit = 4734
Damage gained from using it on Force lightning = 2012
Damage gained from using it on Death field = 2480.

Also a parse of mine with full 61 gear, but with the 63 hilt and dread guard relics from a while ago (I usually spec healing).
http://www.torparse.com/a/59278/time...953/1354130254