Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Launcher has stopped responding...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Launcher has stopped responding...
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

TheTikku
02.08.2013 , 03:35 PM | #1
Hello, I have been trying to fix this problem for while now... reinstalled game few times and done all kind of other fixes that other players have found to resolve their issue, however the problem still exists, and it has evolved too...
Problem is that whenever i double click the swtor launcher dekstop icon, the outlines of launcher pop up and then comes windows error "swtor launcher has stopped responding" or it doesnt launch at all, but appears as process in task manager
latest reliability report (some words in finnish, sorry about that)
Spoiler

edit1: removed avutil-51.dll and launcher did indeed start, but crashed again after it updated avutil-51.dll back to folder

Bronholz
02.08.2013 , 04:29 PM | #2 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Greetings TheTikku,

Thanks for contacting us.

To help us while we look into this case, would you be able to provide us with a summary of the steps that you have tried thus far?

Thanks for your patience.
Bronholz | BioWare Customer Service – Forum Support

TheTikku
02.08.2013 , 04:49 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Bronholz View Post
Greetings TheTikku,

Thanks for contacting us.

To help us while we look into this case, would you be able to provide us with a summary of the steps that you have tried thus far?

Let's see if I remember all the stuff I have done (its been sort of a project on my weekends...)
-Reinstalled game few times (did'n't help)
-Removed patch folder -> restarted computer -> Ran LauncherFix -> restarted computer -> ran launcher (someone's problem was fixed by that, but not mine)
-Ran chkdsk command (also ineffective, and uninformative)
-Updated all drivers, added exceptions to anti-virus programs
-Ran launcher.exe as admin & in compatibility mode
-Did Clean Reboot

Also some other small adjusts that some players suggested (like removing some .dlll's or making some empty .dll's)

Bronholz
02.08.2013 , 05:26 PM | #4 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Thanks for the information.

When you are reinstalling the game is it from the disks or through download from the site?

What Anti-Virus program are you using?

Bronholz | BioWare Customer Service – Forum Support

TheTikku
02.08.2013 , 05:35 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Bronholz View Post
Thanks for the information.

When you are reinstalling the game is it from the disks or through download from the site?

What Anti-Virus program are you using?

Reinstalled first by downloading from site, then from disks.
Using Norton 360 (and AVG anti-spyware & SpyBot-SD, if those matter at all...)

OwenBrooks
02.08.2013 , 11:22 PM | #6
one thing to try is go to the \Windows\SysWOW64 folder and see if there is a file called libcef.dll
If there is, try remaning it, then run the setup file again from www.swtor.com/download .

TheTikku
02.09.2013 , 07:58 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by OwenBrooks View Post
one thing to try is go to the \Windows\SysWOW64 folder and see if there is a file called libcef.dll
If there is, try remaning it, then run the setup file again from www.swtor.com/download .
there was not file named like that

TheTikku
02.09.2013 , 06:21 PM | #8
I guess the silence means Bioware staff doesnt know why the launcher is broken as hell

OwenBrooks
02.09.2013 , 06:25 PM | #9
Can you create a new Windows user account and see if it will launch in this new user account.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...a-user-account

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...d-user-profile

TheTikku
02.09.2013 , 07:02 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by OwenBrooks View Post
Can you create a new Windows user account and see if it will launch in this new user account.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...a-user-account

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...d-user-profile
At the moment, new user seems to work if i wish to play, however on old account is still bugging out
thanks owen