Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

bright_ephemera
02.06.2013 , 06:40 PM | #2681
Quote:
When totalled up across prose, play, and planning, I have as many Sith Warriors as Republic characters. And as many Imperial Agents as Republic characters. And the sum of Inquisitors and Bounty Hunters is equal to or greater than the sum of any two Republic classes put together. And yes, I play favorites.
Quote: Originally Posted by Striges View Post
Oo Oo story problem time!

Let R=total Republic characters
Let E=total Imperial characters (because I looks like a 1)
E sub W=number of Sith Warriors
E sub A=number of Imperial Agents

Then:

R=E sub W
R=E sub A
Therefore E sub W= E sub A
and
{Bounty Hunters+Inquisitors}>={Sum of any two Republic classes}

I think I need more variables, better set notation, and an actual number or two.
I believe that with the information given, the characters in the Legacy scene, the fact that I have two Bounty Hunters, the fact that the sum of Bounty Hunters and Inquisitors is strictly less than the number of Warriors, and the fact that I have an even number of Republic characters, is sufficient to determine all values K, C, S, T, W, I, A, and B.

The Legacy scene has the Knights Rho and Larr Gith, Trooper Vierce, Smugglers Nic and Kirsk, Warriors Ruth, Mellekor, Sevasht, and Nalenne, Inquisitors Ananz and Niselle, and Agents Dahlia and Wynston.
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 1900+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

Tatile
02.07.2013 , 05:56 AM | #2682
Night of the Living Prompt: Culture Shock
Featuring: Broan.

Spoiler

I really think that this is an important part of Broan that he was always missing - a demonstration of a heritage and culture he never had the chance to experience, but feels lost without. Also, the premise here is unashamedly inspired by Striges' take, because it works so much better for removed mirialans than the conventional (or canon) approach. That and it's an awesome idea anyway.

bright_ephemera
02.07.2013 , 09:22 AM | #2683
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Something he never got to do as a Jedi.

I love what you do with the social dynamics of Imperial society, including this little slice of Kaas City alien life.
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 1900+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

Striges
02.07.2013 , 01:58 PM | #2684
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Spoiler
I enjoyed the whole story, but this particular line stood out for me. I know Broan is thinking of the man in the diner, but this thought fits his experience almost as well. And I really liked Broan being unable to get the shapes out of his head; perhaps sharing the tattoo artist's experience without knowing it. He needed those shapes to be whole.

My biggest problem with the canon explanation was that it made the tattoos akin to merit badges or medals, and that everyone could read your achievements like an inked resume. They're supposed to be a spiritual people; putting a stamp on because you've reached mile fifteen didn't feel right. I also imagine that the tattoos could be anywhere on the body, according to the artist's vision. I like the direction you took it--it's not just a part of their culture. The shapes, wanting them, knowing the right pattern, is an intrinsic part of what it is to be Mirialan. As much a part of their species as a Zabrak's horns or a Twi'lek's lekku.

kabeone
02.07.2013 , 03:01 PM | #2685
@bright I already whined about the effect of your Legacy story on my poor poor relational database Also, Pierce Jr.'s pranking coupled with Wynston's attempt to both appease PJ's need to meddle, irritate Quinn, while not actually driving Quinn insane is always gold.

@Eversteam I was also disappointed with the lack of resolution for that statement on Belsavis.
Agent spoilers
Spoiler

@Tatile Poor Rochester. I love all the pieces with Captain Gorse. I would watch a TV show with him and his crew traveling through space trying to fulfill the Empire's edicts while trying to avoid those meddlesome Sith.

iamthehoyden
02.07.2013 , 03:45 PM | #2686
Tatile, I really liked your take on the Mirialan tats. One of my wishes for some future customization system in game is to be able to add to the tats as you go through the game, as they're supposed to mark important events in their life. The way Broan tied the markings to his sense of self, I liked that a lot.
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

Striges
02.08.2013 , 12:54 PM | #2687
Prompt: LF1M

Characters: Vashutarl (JK) and introducing Kughel, trooper

Title: It's on the Holonet so it Must be True

Takes place early in JK Chapter One, but no spoilers beyond who the second JK companion is, and the JK’s relationship with said companion at that time. Longish at 2700+ words.

Spoiler

Notes:
Spoiler

Isoviel
02.08.2013 , 01:23 PM | #2688
Hi everyone! I had writers' block, went on vacation, and then I got sick. Not great for the creative process but I finally managed to finish a story. So I tell myself no more Ennaly stuff for a while, then my mind says ok but you have three half finished Ennaly stories, finish them then you can get back to your psychopaths. Sometimes the creative process sucks 1430 words, kinda long sorry.
Prompt: NotLP Health
Characters: Ennaly(mirialan gunslinger), and introducing Anda'lynyth(zabrak sorcerer)
Title: What Could Possibly Go Wrong

Spoiler

Striges
02.08.2013 , 09:17 PM | #2689
Quote: Originally Posted by Isoviel View Post
“Ok doctor, I do like making sure any deadly diseases going onto my ship don’t leak out,” Ennaly said lightly trying to get the serious doctor to smile. It didn’t work. There’s something about her I don’t like. I’m going to have to keep an eye on her while I’m here.
The switching between third and first person perspective throughout the piece (illustrated in the quote) was a little bit jarring to me. That said, the part with Ennally making peace with the warring womp rats and wampas was pretty funny. And Corso is just adorable.

Isoviel
02.09.2013 , 09:21 AM | #2690
Ok, thanks Striges for saying something I would have been totally oblivious otherwise. Her thoughts were supposed to be in italics but the forums don't like the italics in Word apparently. It should be easier to read now.