Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Meet the Developers: Rob Hinkle

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Meet the Developers: Rob Hinkle
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

publicenemies's Avatar


publicenemies
02.01.2013 , 08:04 PM | #111
The other issue is telling your customers "its costs to much to do that" you never ever tell your customer that it makes the company look bad and it made him look incompetent just very poor customer relations.


Quote: Originally Posted by darklordpotter View Post
An extremely interesting and well argued no though....

I agree with your point the more developed dev posts even if the summary is "no", "hell no" or "you're joking, right?" tend to produce better responses than the usual EA PR approved fluff that seems to be the hallmark of the limited communication in this game.

Probably the best example of how to do it I have found on this forum is the dev post in the species request poll talking about what is practical given the engine and given that constraint what is practical for story and lore. Admittedly not everyone responded well to the post which is unfortunate but the response was overwhelmingly positive that the dev had taken time to respond and even more explain their stance - even though the answer was mostly "this won't work because". The "because" is really important in these kind of posts.

KeyboardNinja's Avatar


KeyboardNinja
02.01.2013 , 08:42 PM | #112
Quote: Originally Posted by JovethGonzalez View Post
Rob:
We certainly look at ToRParse for data, but like all other data sets it is limited in what it shows and what context influences it. For example, if I were to sort the top DPS value on Kephiss in EC 8-man mode, I would immediately see that a Mercenary is listed at the top of the charts. However, if you dig into the charts, you can see that part of that number is based on a bunch of trash kills that have influenced the final result. When we detach the source (the player) from the log, it makes it much more difficult to look at context. All of that being said, we really want to do better about collecting raw logs directly from the player, with the hope that will really help us properly react to the feedback we receive.
Actually, the problem with that log (I assume you mean Cay'liy) is not the Trandoshan adds, but rather the fact that the combat log and/or parser bugged, resulting in an aborted parse. The *only* part of that fight which is represented in that combat log is the trandoshans, which is obviously misleading. The second-highest DPS is a scoundrel (and a guild mate of mine), who has a similarly abbreviated parse due to Vanish. The highest *legitimate* parse on that leaderboard is, to no one's surprise, a Powertech. Continuing down the line, we have a Maurader and a Commando, then a Vanguard, a Sniper, a Gunslinger, etc…

A better fight for this is the Dread Guard in Asation, where the 8 man HM charts read like a list of FOTM classes.

I'm not quite as skeptical as most; I do think that the class balance in this game is at least within spitting distance, all things considered. However, it could be a lot tighter. My aforementioned scoundrel guildy rolled a vanguard just for kicks. He decided to main swap when he discovered that his vanguard was doing 250 DPS more than his scoundrel…where the vanguard was in 58s and 61s and his scoundrel was in min-maxed 63s. That should never happen.

If nothing else, torparse has a phenomenally good repository of combat logs from the game's top tier PvE players. While I would be very surprised if Bioware were actually using torparse's leaderboards to make decisions, they absolutely should be data-mining the repository to augment their own analytics. This sort of thing is very important, I think. When the community as a whole has come to a (essentially unchallenged) conclusion about the state of a particular class, Bioware should pay attention. When that same community can provide a mountain of empirical evidence to back up this opinion, Bioware should act. All we're asking is that the class balance should stem from the data. Right now, the data isn't looking very positive for certain classes.
Computer Programmer. Theory Crafter. Dragonslayer on The Ebon Hawk.
Tam (shadow tank) Tov-ren (commando healer) Aveo (combat sentinel) Nimri (df scoundrel)
Averith (hybrid sniper) Alish (lightning sorcerer) Aresham (jugg tank) Effek (ap powertech)

Coldtitan's Avatar


Coldtitan
02.02.2013 , 11:38 AM | #113
Hi Rob

I hope you're ok and well, I have a question well more of an idea really which I think would be a good idea is it possible instead of going around with just one companion you give us the option to go around with two of our companion just like in "Knights of the old republic 1 + 2" ???

Keyran-Halcyon's Avatar


Keyran-Halcyon
02.03.2013 , 10:19 AM | #114
Well I know insulting the devs and BW won't get a response, but its really disheartening to see that it takes two weeks to get a response from them in a thread they encouraged us to post questions in. Well anyways I wanted to ask Rob if there are any plans to help Scoundrel/Operative getting back on their feet. I know the healing tree's are awesome right now, but their Scrapper/Concealment tree's are not doing great.

Plenty of players in the Scoundrel community are calling for a finisher move, something that we can use to finish off our rotation. We are asking for the same finisher move that plenty of other classes already have, something that we can use on Targets below 30% health.

I posted a suggestion in both the scoundrel forums and the suggestion box, but I wanted to post in as many places as I could so I might get a response back.

My suggestion is actually really simple and honestly wouldn't change the class much and wouldn't take much effort to change. Currently we have two PvE abilities that can only be used on incapacitated NPC's, we have Headshot and Cheap shot. Both are basically the same, the range is the only difference, and they share the same CD. My suggestion is to change the Cheap Shot into our finished for Scoundrels. This ability requires melee range, just like most of the Scoundrel's other abilities. We would still have one more PvE ability to use on incapacitated NPC's.

Giving Scoundrel's this ability would help us with some more sustained DPS, it would not make us OP or allow us to "Run around in groups stun locking people", and it wouldn't give us more burst which is what most non-stealthers hated about this class.

So here's crossing my fingers for some kind of response...
Rogue Heals
<Art Supplies>
Captain Hűng Sôlo & Master Teh-Hauss

Mega_Fallos's Avatar


Mega_Fallos
02.04.2013 , 02:25 AM | #115
Parsers, logs...Let's see realy! After 150 000 duels for 12 months. Statistic. 1st place in pvp duels - shadow/assassin & sentinel/marader. Operative without stealth - easy target. Sage vs shadow = .

DerTaran's Avatar


DerTaran
02.04.2013 , 02:48 AM | #116
Quote: Originally Posted by Mega_Fallos View Post
Parsers, logs...Let's see realy! After 150 000 duels for 12 months. Statistic. 1st place in pvp duels - shadow/assassin & sentinel/marader. Operative without stealth - easy target. Sage vs shadow = .
Where did you get this Information from?
B'zycon Legacy @ JAR'KAI SWORD
Turan 55 Commando; Orotan 55 Sentinel; Taark 50 Scoundrel; Orokriste 27 Shadow; Annakami 43 Vanguard
Amitha 51 Sorcerer; Fanalba17 Sniper

Nous voulons le retour de notre CM! Wir wollen unseren CM zurück! We want our CM back!

T-Assassin's Avatar


T-Assassin
02.05.2013 , 11:42 AM | #117
Quote: Originally Posted by DerTaran View Post
Where did you get this Information from?
his (_o_).
"Ib'tuur jatne tuur ash'ad kyr'amur."
"Today is a good day for someone else to die." -

T-Assassin's Avatar


T-Assassin
02.05.2013 , 07:26 PM | #118
if you ignore it, it will go away?

no more sticky...no new info, no new answers...

done with this ****.
"Ib'tuur jatne tuur ash'ad kyr'amur."
"Today is a good day for someone else to die." -

symke's Avatar


symke
02.07.2013 , 05:24 AM | #119
Quote: Originally Posted by CourtneyWoods View Post
Hello everyone,

Please discuss the Meet the Developers: Rob Hinkle blog in this thread!

If you have any questions for Rob, please ask them here. In the near future, we'll have some answers from him for you!
I call this thread a lie and I call Courtney a liar. There apparently is no Rob Hinkle. Or at least he is not working for this company. How else can you explain him being introduced without any kind of response from him?
Considering how little Courtney and others at support do, I guess they fill their time with bogus threads like this. Probably so they can laugh at us when we take them serious.

wainot-keel's Avatar


wainot-keel
02.07.2013 , 07:33 AM | #120
Quote: Originally Posted by chuixupu View Post
Thanks for answer my question Rob.

I've seen it mentioned by some theorycrafters that the weakening blast stacks do in fact stack the poison damage (I haven't really had the opportunity to check myself), but even if that's true, I'd much prefer to just have my own stack and not share. Especially if a less-geared sniper ends up stealing most of my buff that I was about to use for Cull.
A similar thing seems to be happening with the Deathmark from Madness tree. I don't know if that was ever addressed, but I wonder if the same thing is happening, like one affliction getting bonus from both stacks.