Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Lowish dps as gunnery, help pls

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Commando / Mercenary
Lowish dps as gunnery, help pls

Bumbartm
02.01.2013 , 12:27 PM | #1
My stats:
2064 aim
32.7/33.6% crit
74.73% surge
108.41% accuracy
612 power
150 weapon

so i am about half rakata half bh with 4p bonus, all items augumented with 18aim.
My rotation:
3 GR
FA especially if procs
HIB at 5 stacks
DR at 5 stacks

This is standard rotation, according to many guides i have seen and few videos on youtube.

With all this i can pull about 1.4k to 1.5k, but it goes under 1.4 after few mins closer to 1.3k.
Now i know that my gear is not top by any means, but i feel like that i should do better.
Oh my spec is also standard 6/31/4.

Furiel
02.01.2013 , 03:18 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Bumbartm View Post
My stats:
2064 aim
32.7/33.6% crit
74.73% surge
108.41% accuracy
612 power
150 weapon

so i am about half rakata half bh with 4p bonus, all items augumented with 18aim.
My rotation:
3 GR
FA especially if procs
HIB at 5 stacks
DR at 5 stacks

This is standard rotation, according to many guides i have seen and few videos on youtube.

With all this i can pull about 1.4k to 1.5k, but it goes under 1.4 after few mins closer to 1.3k.
Now i know that my gear is not top by any means, but i feel like that i should do better.
Your accuracy is either way high or a little low. You want 100% ranged/110% tech accuracy. Any less and you will miss occasionally with HiB and FA ticks. Alot more and you are sacrificing crit or power for accuracy you don't need. About 300 accuracy rating will put you at 100% ranged btw.

What are your crit and surge ratings? The percentages aren't as useful as the ratings [the (XXX) when you mouseover). DR for both start hitting hard around 300 rating IIRC so try to not got far over that if possible and stack power then. You will probably end up with surge above 300 due to the way implants/enhances are itemized once you have your gear as min/maxxed as possible, but it can't be helped.

Personally I use 5/31/5 because I prefer the static alactrity over the proc but that's a personal preference and AFAIK there is little to no practical difference between the 2 specs dps-wise.
Furiel Plush
Cardinal and Raid Coordinator of The Church of Alvis

ElQuesoGrande
02.03.2013 , 09:16 AM | #3
6/31/4 is where it's at. 1 point in the proccing alacrity and one in static. The proccing alacrity regenerates before it even ends most of the time, so it's up effectively 100% of the time. I pretty much never see it fall off after a few seconds into the fight. This gives you an average of 6-7% alacrity, so better than either of the other two options. Minimal, but better

DariusCalera
02.03.2013 , 09:34 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Bumbartm View Post
My stats:
2064 aim
32.7/33.6% crit
74.73% surge
108.41% accuracy
612 power
150 weapon

My rotation:
3 GR
FA especially if procs
HIB at 5 stacks
DR at 5 stacks

Are you using Hammer Shot at all? Sounds like part of your problem might be ammo regen issues

oaceen
02.03.2013 , 01:49 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Furiel View Post
Alot more and you are sacrificing crit or power for accuracy you don't need.
you cannot trade crit or power for accuracy except on augments, and he said he's using reflex augs

that said, you just need to improve your gear, and you'll be fine. go for unlettered mods and enhancements (reflex 25 over reflex 25A for instance)
rakata is notorious for being horribly itemized. once you start getting more black hole gear, go back and start buying particular pieces over again and ripping out the mods and enhancements. the med-tech boots are a good place to start as they have the high power mod and high power/surge enhancement.

i also suspect that perhaps you have some alacrity on your enhancements, implants, or earpiece. if that's the case, then replace them with accuracy until you get to 100% range/110% tech accuracy, then work on surge.

also, i suspect that you might not have your companion affection up all the way. with max companion affection, you will get +1% surge, +1% crit, +1% accuracy, and i don't recall the other two, maybe max health and defense, but they're all important, static bonus that you should have.
you don't have to completely max out a particular companion's affection, just finish their storyline (for some of them, it requires capped or close to cap anyway though). you can view your progress in the legacy window (Y key)

Furiel
02.04.2013 , 10:15 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by oaceen View Post
you cannot trade crit or power for accuracy except on augments, and he said he's using reflex augs
Yes and no, depends on your perspective. Accuracy enhances for DPS are acc/power or acc/crit IIRC, with the power or crit being a smallish amount. Swapping those out for crit/surge or power/surge enhances will net more crit or power along with surge while shedding accuracy. That was essentially what I was advocating assuming his accuracy was too high and didn't do as good a job as I wanted explaining it.
Furiel Plush
Cardinal and Raid Coordinator of The Church of Alvis

oaceen
02.04.2013 , 05:39 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Furiel View Post
Yes and no, depends on your perspective. Accuracy enhances for DPS are acc/power or acc/crit IIRC, with the power or crit being a smallish amount. Swapping those out for crit/surge or power/surge enhances will net more crit or power along with surge while shedding accuracy. That was essentially what I was advocating assuming his accuracy was too high and didn't do as good a job as I wanted explaining it.
that is untrue.

enhancements work like this

Stat A
Stat B
Stat C

Stat A is always endurance

Stat B is always defense, absorb, crit, or power

Stat C is always alacrity, surge, accuracy, or shield

A and B can have either a low or high value, but Stat A + Stat B = a static value, one is always a low value and one is always a high value.
in this way, you effectively can trade between endurance and defense, absorb, crit, or power

Stat C is always the same value no matter what stat is there or what the numbers are for stat A or B (with the exception of two shield enhancements with high stat A and B and low C value where C is always shield)

since that exception only applies to tanking enhancements, you are never under any circumstances trading crit or power for accuracy

if you have a low crit or power value on an enhancement, it means that you have high endurance (or vice-versa), and the crit/power value never interferes with accuracy, surge, or alacrity

CaptianFordo
02.04.2013 , 11:21 PM | #8
How to play your spec/build (PVE):
http://www.noxxic.com/swtor/pve/troo...-and-cooldowns

What kind of stats you need to have/look for:
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/e...psac78c18f.png

(That's what my commando is rocking)

DariusCalera
02.04.2013 , 11:27 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by CaptianFordo View Post
How to play your spec/build (PVE):
http://www.noxxic.com/swtor/pve/troo...-and-cooldowns

What kind of stats you need to have/look for:
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/e...psac78c18f.png

(That's what my commando is rocking)
Your accuracy is way too high and your surge way, way too low.

CaptianFordo
02.04.2013 , 11:30 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by DariusCalera View Post
Your accuracy is way too high and your surge way, way too low.
It's the best I can deal with for what I have. I haven't had the drops I need to increase those stats, but I hit hard enough to clear hardmode content, so I'm happy.