Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

open letter to the Game development team at Bioware

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
open letter to the Game development team at Bioware

Frog_brains
01.30.2013 , 10:22 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by JustTed View Post
Over emphasis on story is why there were no resources left over to make a decent MMO.

How many games have you designed in the past? I mean, titles that have actually shipped? Based on your post, it's clear it's zero.
at least we're on equal terms there, i'm sure you're grand total of puplished and shipped games is the same as mine.

It is in your opinion that this is not a Decent MMO. I personally think and i'm confident a great many other thing that at the very least this is a "Decent" MMO. Maybe not great yet but with potential. If I didn't enjoy the game i wouldn't be bothering with the effort to get involved in the community in an effort to help it continue to get better.

I just have a different opinion on what'll make this game better than you do.

Lium
01.30.2013 , 10:35 AM | #22
I didn't read through the entire OP, I stopped after you said please stop micromanaging the game. The first thing I was going to say was, "Is this your first MMO?" Then I saw later that it is in fact your fist. And it shows.

Every MMO is CONSTANTLY changing and evolving. It has to. It is a neverending work in progress. And your gripe about PvPers is as old as water. This is a constant back and forth between making balance issues for PvE or PvP and how they effect the other. Believe it or not, this works both ways. Developers sometimes make changes in PvE that have serious consequences for PvPers. You have no idea how utterly bad this is in other MMOs.

My only advice to you is to play longer or try out other MMOs and you'll see how everything you brought up is not reality in the world of online gaming.

Frog_brains
01.30.2013 , 11:42 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Lium View Post
I didn't read through the entire OP, I stopped after you said please stop micromanaging the game. The first thing I was going to say was, "Is this your first MMO?" Then I saw later that it is in fact your fist. And it shows.

Every MMO is CONSTANTLY changing and evolving. It has to. It is a neverending work in progress. And your gripe about PvPers is as old as water. This is a constant back and forth between making balance issues for PvE or PvP and how they effect the other. Believe it or not, this works both ways. Developers sometimes make changes in PvE that have serious consequences for PvPers. You have no idea how utterly bad this is in other MMOs.

My only advice to you is to play longer or try out other MMOs and you'll see how everything you brought up is not reality in the world of online gaming.
I agree with you the game must keep evolving and adding new content, and making tweaks along the way. All i'm saying is that they shouldn't be making knee jerk reactions just to appease one segment of the game, do the detrement of another segment.

I like the above refference to guildwars, where they completely split between pvp and pve. I mean we already have two sets of gear for pvp and pve, why not then have two sets of skills, or a pvp tree and pve tree? Then you can adjust the pvper's skill set without affecting the pve experience and vice versa.

I spend a bit of time on the forums, and it seems to me to be a pretty much down the middle split when it comes to the direction people want this game to go.

Half seem to want them to desperately and above all else continue with the story line development, enhance the RPG content of the game. You know continue with with class lines, and even to add more and diversify even into class stories based on AC choices. Which i'm told is unique in the world of MMO's, the story telling side.

The other half only seem to be interested in "elder game"/end game content, pve and pvp, who cares about the story just give me new boss's to fight, new warzones to play in. which i'm told is like most other MMO's, in that there's not much significant or engaging i should say about the lvling process.

How does Bioware navigate this? Do they forge ahead, and try something "new" in an MMO by giving it a well fleshed out story. Or do they fall back into the "this is the way MMO's are" and just become like everything else out there?

You were saying before MMO's are constantly changing and yes they are, but now when someone is suggesting a change to the way an MMO is, you go back to saying well that's just the way it is?

Maybe Bioware hits a homerun with this game in the long run by going out and forging ahead with more story (distinct unique) levelling content. So that in the future all other MMO's need to follow it to be successful. Or maybe it flops, maybe there isn't enough commercial interest out there to justify the effort to go into such a story develped game and it becomes just a run to endgame like all the other MMO's out there. Or maybe there's room for both types of game out there?

It seems to me because this is a "new type" of MMO, your getting into a clash of playstyles and of ideas of what this game should be.

Like me there are a bunch of people who started playing this game just because it wasn't like all the other MMO's, You also got the people who came in because it was an MMO and they traditionaly enjoy the MMO

The only reason i stayed with the game was because of the RPG elements, i really enjoy going through the different class quests trying the different roles, even doing the same side quests as different races gets you different reactions from the npcs. picking lighside vs darkside choices, or trying to stay "grey" in alignment. So i've gotten to end game with 6 different toons, i still have 2 more classes to go and i'm not bored with the game at all.

The flipside of this are the players who came from other MMO's, where you only had one or two main toons, maybe you had others that you kept for other reasons, but you didn't level them all the way up. The whole game didn't really start until you got to the level cap. For those people who are playing that game with that mindset i can definately see where this game would be progressing to slow for them. they probably got 2 toons one on either faction or maybe 2 on the same faction to lvl 50, eight months ago and are going completely bananas from doing the same raids over and over again, and fighting in the same warzones. I'd be going crazy to if that's not what I was expecting from the game.

Now are there enough gamers out there who can find enjoy the balance to make this game viable? If you focus more on story content obviously it takes longer to develop, voice test and put in game, you please the story driven people but drive off the endgame people. If you just move forward and add end game content without adressing the class stories, you can bring out content faster, but you make the lvling experience generic (ala ilum) then you drive out the people who are in for the story mostly.

They say the art of negotiation/comprimise is coming to an agreement where neither side is completely happy. By that definition i think Bioware is doing well. I"m not completely happy with this game for different reasons, then you seem to be not completely happy with this game. Can they keep the balance where they keep both of us happy enough where we both continue playing in the future? Or do they lean more one way then the other and drive either me or you out of the game? Do they fight the fight and try to continue the evolution of the MMO game play experience (the hard road and maybe unsuccesful, but inovative) or do they become generic ( the easy road, but financially more viable)

which way will the wind blow?