Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Keybind or Clicky Clicky?

Evastian
01.30.2013 , 10:14 AM | #61
If you can really clear nightmare mode content without keybinding every single key then I'm looking forward to hitting 50.

I come from playing in top 100 US guilds in wow where everyone is functionally undergeared due to the fact that the first hundred or so kills of a boss happen in the first weekly lockout, and we therefore have to overperform to kill the bosses. If you DON'T keybind every in-combat spell you have, you're gonna have a bad time.

If clickers get by in this game then I'm not expecting much trouble in raiding in this game.

mikebevo
01.30.2013 , 02:44 PM | #62
Quote: Originally Posted by Evastian View Post
If you can really clear nightmare mode content without keybinding every single key then I'm looking forward to hitting 50.
Nothing in this game is that difficult.

I have outed myself with two groups I play with to being a clicker in this thread. Before reading it here they had no clue I healed clicking. One of the other healers swears I am just trolling in this thread because they don't want to admit that a hybrid keybind clicker outperforms them in HPS and AMP. I will say they are better healers than me, I would have never been able to get to the level in content without their advice and suggestions, but now I more than pull my weight in any operations even if I don't do it the "our way only" way.

I am going to start playing more a pure keybind player. Still going to hybrid it in progression, because I am better at that now, but I will do other ops, dailies and HMFP as a pure keybind until I get extremely comfortable with it again. Then I will do 5 weeks of pure keybind progression and compare it to the previous 5 weeks of hybrid and play the one that give me the greatest HPS and AMP. I am not worried about movement or speed because I already use keybinds for all that stuff, so pure keybinds will do nothing for that in my case.

Vankris
01.31.2013 , 10:06 AM | #63
if you are a melee class, i have an exercise for you.

Train on the dummy.
Maintain a perfect rotation while turning around the target dummy. Do never stop execpt for a cast (telek throw, master strike, ravage) otherwise, be always in movement.

If you can maintain your DPS, you are ready for operation.
Shadow | Kinetic Combat

mcslack
01.31.2013 , 10:30 AM | #64
All good stuff in here very helpful. After reading them all at length, what sticks out the most for me is the gaming mouse. Ive checked on the Naga's and Logitech's. Seems like this may b somthing I could learn but more importantly b comfortable/ effective with.
Being a newb I wasnt aware of the deep seated feelings on both side's of this coin. I respect all who chimed in and thankz for keepin it civil.
Now next question is how 2 use right mouse button to rotate and move character forward at the same time. Ive tried binding forward(w) onto mouse right click. Dosent seem to work. Is this the correct idea on mouse movement or im yet confused again. In other words do i keep W(or any bind) as forward and just turn with mouse right click?
Thx again

ps- I think maybe alot of my issue is not havin any typing skill (hunt and peck). Im a Telco Lineman/ Splicer so if I could type with a Klein Wrench or a 3 Pound Hammer things would b much simplified LOL.

mcslack
01.31.2013 , 10:31 AM | #65
Sorry but I forgot 2 ask what and where is this Training Dummy that keeps being mentioned?

anstalt
01.31.2013 , 11:30 AM | #66
Quote: Originally Posted by mcslack View Post
Sorry but I forgot 2 ask what and where is this Training Dummy that keeps being mentioned?
You can unlock both an Operations Training dummy and a Warzone Training Dummy for your ship through the legacy system.

The training dummies are basically unkillable manaquins that you can beat on forever.

As to gaming mice, you don't need anything particularly special, but the more buttons then the more options you have. I went with the Roccat Kova + which only has 2 thumb buttons (on both sides in case you are a lefty!). However, after testing a load of mice this was the most comfortable for me, plus the programmable LEDs within it are nice! I'm kinda sad in that I like to colour match my PC peripherals!
Anstalt - lvl 50 valor 81 Shadow Consular

Currently retired due to poor design decisions within the game that have killed its longevity. Get rid of Hickman before he ruins the game completely!

mikebevo
01.31.2013 , 12:55 PM | #67
Besides unlociking the one on your ship, for a price, you can use the one on fleet. Rep -Gav Daragon or Imp - Ziost Shadow - Bridge Deck on both.

i just bought the one on the ship because the lag on the fleet at peak hours was really annoying while practicing rotation.

antwillgreen
01.31.2013 , 06:43 PM | #68
Quote: Originally Posted by Thundergulch View Post
This.
The most important part of being good at endgame pve is knowing your class.
inb4 all of the elitist keybinders.
Knowing your class helps you be decent in general.
Ya you can guess what finger i'll be having up at your idea of what the "Real Star Wars" is.

Sydexlic
02.01.2013 , 12:45 PM | #69
Now next question is how 2 use right mouse button to rotate and move character forward at the same time. Ive tried binding forward(w) onto mouse right click. Dosent seem to work. Is this the correct idea on mouse movement or im yet confused again. In other words do i keep W(or any bind) as forward and just turn with mouse right click?
Thx again
No special bindings are required to mouse turn. All the required bindings to do so are already configured as part of the default settings. The idea is you click and hold RMB to lock your characters facing direction to your mouse. Pressing forward works as per normal, but you can control the direction you are facing now with the mouse while RMB is held down.

Another effect of holding RMB down is the turn left and turn right keys turn into strafe keys. All movement is still handled by your WASD keys (or as I'd suggest, moving WASD right one key to be ESDF as it gives more room to bind convenient abilities to the left of your movement keys).

The only set up you need to make once you get used to using RMB to control your facing direction is to actually bind your extra abilities to vacant keys. There's a bit of science and a bit of art to this. Consider how time sensitive an ability is and how often you will need to activate it. Things like interrupt abilities get pride of place on my keyboard. They need to be activated very quickly, and they get used often. I personally use G, right next to my index finger. Abilities that are off the GCD and become available as procs are also usually good candidates to get prime location binds, for example on my Juggernaut, retaliation gets bound to my R (this is usually reply, I move that to N).

As well as how an ability is bound, where it's bound is important too. Group like abilities with like, keep important abilities such as procs, DPS/defensive cooldowns and other frequently used abilities that have cooldowns that need monitoring close to your sight line. I have 4 or 5 of the most important cooldowns on a separate short bar right above my own health bar to keep an eye on them better.

Boyana
02.02.2013 , 01:16 AM | #70
Keybinding is quicker and safer. Just like someone said, when you are clicking you will have to: move your mouse, then your cursor would get to the ability, then you have to click it. Before that, you need to move your eyes to the ability = losing a valuable part of the screen. That might look fast, but not as fast as pressing the buttons :P.

I think keybinding is crucial for healers. You already need to click on raid frames to heal people. You need to react fast. Some bosses can bring your tank to 20% of hp easily. It is much faster to press the button (since you will know by heart that, lets say, D - innervate) than to move your cursor and click the ability.

After this I would say tanks: at least bind taunts and defensive abilities. As a healer, it is easy for me to say which one of my tanks is clicking. The one that is not, will react much faster if his HP somehow goes fast to 10%. He/she will pop Shroud, Ward instantly.

Then we have dpsers. I love to say that every mistake DPSer does, healer is there to fix. This can sound a little mean. Your eyes are on your abilities and you can easily miss the red circle and get the hit, where the person pressing buttons would have his/her eyes all the time on 80% of the screen and be able to see potential danger.

If you are having problems with binding, start with 2-3 abilities. After you get used on those, bind some more. After couple of weeks you will ask yourself how could you ever click : >.

Try to run around a little spamming those buttons. Try to do some simple quests while using those abilities.