Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Lag issues

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

RLWalker
01.27.2013 , 12:45 PM | #571
This started on Friday, Jan 25 for me. Most of the time latency hovers around 50-80 ms. Every minute or so there will be a lag spike and latency will shoot to 500, 1000, 2000, or even higher. Maybe once an hour the latency will keep going up and up until I disconnect (at this time I have to force quit swtor and restart).

Server: Jedi Covenant
ISP: Cogeco

Seems like quite a few people in here from the Hamilton region on Cogeco. Does anyone use Cogeco and *not* have lag issues? Also does anyone live in the Hamilton area and use an ISP other than Cogeco? Just trying to get some more info.

kustrin
01.27.2013 , 03:20 PM | #572
My lag problems have gotten worse with each patch since the super servers launched but this patch has just brought a whole new level of awfulness. Example: In 1.4 my ping while raiding was generally at ~200; now it's ~500.

I don't have great internet where I live so I'm used to high pings (really good ping for me is 120-150, normal world PVE is 200-250, NORMAL ping while raiding or in WZs is 500-550). I've learned to adapt to really bad lag, and have even come to find it a fun challenge to heal while lagging that badly.

Issue #1: Momentary Losses of Connection Unrelated to Normal Server Lag

Since 1.6.3, I have experienced frequent momentary drops in connection not related to normal lag (my character will appear to hit an invisible wall where I can move around in the area where I just drove through but not pass a certain point). These last anywhere from a second to 3-4 seconds then I can continue moving like normal. While annoying, it's not all that big a deal while questing. My lag indicator does not show wild fluctuations in my ping rates.

Now I am experiencing that same phenomenon while in WZs which never used to happen. There is nothing more infuriating than trying to move across a map where time is of the essence but I can't move past a certain point. I've been unable to reach objectives to interrupt caps etc. b/c of these drops in connections.

Issue #2: Apparent Delays in Ability Activation

As I said earlier, I'm used to playing with high ping rates so I have a good idea what to expect as far as how far in advance I need to activate abilities in order to have them activate when I actually want them to do so.

Now however, I am experiencing delays in ability activation that are far worse than normal for my lag.

Yesterday I was fighting on the bridges in a Voidstar match where I was averaging ~400 ping. I was stealthed while waiting for the opposing team to run across so I could knock them off the bridge. I saw an enemy running across the bridge; when he was about 15 meters away I activated my knockback, which @400 ping should have gone off when he was right in front of me. HOWEVER, the ability did not activate until he was nearly 10 or so meters past me. THAT is not normal activation lag for ~400 ping.

The exact same thing happened to me in my very next match (a Huttball) match. I couldn't stop a nearly dead enemy from scoring because my knockback went off nearly a second and a half AFTER I pressed the button (they were halfway down the downramp of the bridge when I activated knock back; when the ability went off, they were in the end zone. I have never nerd-raged so hard in my life.

I'm tired of these problems (which have only gotten worse with each patch). I have stopped raiding and running FPs b/c the lag has gotten so bad that I have become a detriment to my team). Now with these apparent delays in ability activation, I have to stop running WZs because I can't pull my weight on a team when I can't trust my abilities to activate when I need them to.

I love this game and played in Beta and early Access and came back for 1.3 when they allowed me to move off my dead server, but my patience with this game's bugs have simply become exhausted.

I have decided to quit this game as soon as I've finished all the class stories (2 left). I am not saying this to bring attention to myself; I am simply stating that when I can't participate in half of a game's content because I lag so badly, the game is simply not worth paying $14.99/month especially when I can play so many other MMOs for free (without the terrible Preferred Player restrictions I would have to endure if I went F2P with this game).

I understand that there are different teams working on different parts of the game, but I can't help but feel bitter when every patch brings new horribly overpriced and/or reskinned stuff to the Cartel Shop, yet I can't even complete Esseles or BT without crashing to desktop EVERY SINGLE TIME (it's been happening to me since 1.4). After this last patch I can't even finish the last stage of Esseles (I can't get through the last convo on Esseles without crashing so I can't get credit for running the FP).

Just FYI: my lag in GW2, Secret World and World of Tanks is 90-120 even while in raids. My ISP is terrible, but my lag problems in SWTOR are unrelated to my ISP. SWTOR NEVER lagged this badly before Super Servers and has only getting worse with each subsequent patch. Yes I have tried resetting my modem and router; yes I have tried playing with different ports and yes I have tried playing at different times of the day. No dice.

Server: Harbinger
ISP: TDS
Connection: DSL ~5mbs down 1 mbs up

Klarick
01.27.2013 , 04:05 PM | #573
I play way too many MMO's, from servers that are stationed all around the world, without a signaificant stability issue. This problem is Bioware's. They have been collecting stability "data" from customers for about a year now. They have enough data.

Fix your problem Bioware! It's time!
Klarick -- Healing PUGS since 16 March 1999

lordmazley
01.28.2013 , 01:41 PM | #574
Quote: Originally Posted by RLWalker View Post
This started on Friday, Jan 25 for me. Most of the time latency hovers around 50-80 ms. Every minute or so there will be a lag spike and latency will shoot to 500, 1000, 2000, or even higher. Maybe once an hour the latency will keep going up and up until I disconnect (at this time I have to force quit swtor and restart).

Server: Jedi Covenant
ISP: Cogeco

Seems like quite a few people in here from the Hamilton region on Cogeco. Does anyone use Cogeco and *not* have lag issues? Also does anyone live in the Hamilton area and use an ISP other than Cogeco? Just trying to get some more info.
Hey i am from st.catharines mate and I to have Cogeco. It means nothing man. I tested out BF3 and WoW perfect connection. Goto TOR and its horrible.

Avlantia
01.28.2013 , 10:51 PM | #575
Was playing this morning with my usual 400ms lag, zerging in a wz only to have it spike >60000ms. I eventually self dced. Now can barely hit character selection screen let alone load into game.

Avlantia (Australia)
Red Elcipse (EU)
ISP: Dodo

OwenBrooks
01.29.2013 , 01:01 AM | #576
Quote: Originally Posted by Avlantia View Post
Was playing this morning with my usual 400ms lag, zerging in a wz only to have it spike >60000ms. I eventually self dced. Now can barely hit character selection screen let alone load into game.

Avlantia (Australia)
Red Elcipse (EU)
ISP: Dodo
HI Avlantia,

I had a look at this, there is major issues getting anywhere within cable and wireless at the moment from australia, so much so that even trying to load www.cw.com is next to impossible let alone logging into swtor.

Best thing is if you can get to character select screen go back to server select and login on US or APAC servers, trying to log into EU from Australia is not worth the trouble until what ever is going on with cw.net is sorted.

I cannot even download their 1.5mb network map doesnt go past 0%. , bottom line is it isnt a bioware issue but CW have some big issues occuring.

Cable and Wireless are owned by Vodafone we know how good they are

Edit - seems to be all fixed now , 350ms ping from Australia

Nebanderas
01.29.2013 , 05:29 AM | #577
Greetings! Having lag issues since yesterday's evening. Normally I have in-game ping about 85ms, now it's about 160. Already had this problems after several updates and it was fixed by newer ones.

Here is my tracert.txt and pathping.txt. Maybe it will help somehow to solve the problem.
Playing on The Progenitor (EU) but it also happening on other servers, changing graphic settings doesn't change anything.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OwenBrooks
01.29.2013 , 05:59 AM | #578
Hi Nebanderas

As you can see your ping time is raising to 150ms when it gets to Dusseldorf on hop 8 out of 23 , Level 3 may have redirected traffic down this link due to another fault possibly but looking at the distance this route is taking,

It appears to be going this route unless i am mistaken and is a weird route, maybe your ISP can find out why it is going this path (down to new york and back ?) but it is way outside Biowares control.

moscow Comstar and Mts/former Zao Mtu-intel's P2p Network
Stockholm level 3
dusseldorf Level 3
amsterdam Level 3
london Level 3
New York Level 3 and Telianet ( I hope this is still actually London but .... )
london Telianet
Leeds UK Cable and Wireless

6 42 ms 43 ms 44 ms bro-cr01-be3.stk.stream-internet.net [212.188.1.194]
7 41 ms 43 ms 45 ms 213.242.110.69
8 155 ms 149 ms 149 ms ae-8-8.ebr1.Dusseldorf1.Level3.net [4.69.200.250]

Valkyrst
01.29.2013 , 07:10 AM | #579
Been having a lag issue as well since the last couple weeks. Initially it was just one day but since then things have been very very bad.

I live in India so my ping is 140ms anyway. But every couple of minutes it goes berserk for a few seconds and then goes back to normal.

My ping tests show nothing of note anymore, but the game is still causing issues.

Can this be down to routing of the ping or something else?

Blazkowicz
01.29.2013 , 09:53 AM | #580
Server Jar'Kai Sword
ISP: Deutsche Telekom

Was in a warzone, lags from time to time (up to 1k), then mega lag (60k lag) -> got kicked out the warzone for being afk (of course I was afk for the server if I receive no data from the server so I can do something).
If all imperial moffs are like you, it's a wonder you can get your armor on in the morning, much less conquer an empire.