Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

So. Ninjas yea?

SnoggyMack
01.26.2013 , 11:54 AM | #61
Quote: Originally Posted by Athena-Nike View Post
People can only think of themselves and not others.
To be fair, most people who are complaining about ninjas and losing loot rolls are only thinking of themselves. Since the complaint thread stems from THEM losing a roll on something. The issue isn't fueled by altruism. It's fueled by people thinking of themselves and what they lost a roll on.
Snoggy Mack
My Blog
My quote: "All the other kids with the pumped up Sith, you better run, better run, faster than my blaster"

SadisticPixie
01.27.2013 , 04:36 AM | #62
Quote: Originally Posted by SnoggyMack View Post
To be fair, most people who are complaining about ninjas and losing loot rolls are only thinking of themselves. Since the complaint thread stems from THEM losing a roll on something. The issue isn't fueled by altruism. It's fueled by people thinking of themselves and what they lost a roll on.
Or it could be that most people complaining about loot ninjas are concerned with stopping the problem entirely for the good of the community as a whole. Otherwise it'd just be sob stories on items lost as opposed to naming names and suggesting wide-spread solutions.
Heroes die. Legends endure.

SnoggyMack
01.27.2013 , 12:09 PM | #63
Quote: Originally Posted by SadisticPixie View Post
Or it could be that most people complaining about loot ninjas are concerned with stopping the problem entirely for the good of the community as a whole. Otherwise it'd just be sob stories on items lost as opposed to naming names and suggesting wide-spread solutions.
Nah. Most of these threads are sob stories on items, and then naming names out of a sense of vengeance. I'm sure folks will assuage their own egos by convincing themselves that they are trying to help others. But these threads always stem from someone being the loser on a roll they feel they should have been entitled to being the only person to roll on said item.

And the wide spread solution offered is 9 times out of 10 based on some sort of restriction that involves locking others out of rolls that people feel they should again be the only one rolling on the item for.

There is no altruism at work here. Just different levels of self interest. Which is fine with me. Just you know, folks shouldn't be trying to delude themselves into thinking they're bringing this complaint to the community out of some desire to assist the greater good.

Let's examine this thread's original post, just to see how it plays out:

Quote:
I have always utterly and despised people who needed on items they can not possibly use and win them. only to sell them rather than a person who could use it get it.
Right there the original poster shows that their hatred of others fuels the creation of this thread. That's not really looking out for the greater good.

Quote:
First Esseles run:Sentinal ninjas my chest piece

Second run:Sage ninjas my boots

No other troopers were in the group except me.
Note the usage of the word "my." My chest piece. My boots. The loot has just dropped. It's open to a roll. Technically it's no one's item at this point. But the OP is assuming it is theirs already. This demonstrates that the OP has created this thread out of self interest, not altruism.

Quote:
Are these people brain dead or something? Or using it for their companions? Hell If I know but This is really annoying me. I've sent a ticket and I doubt i'll get anything but the "OH THANKS FOR REPORTING THIS PERSON BUT SCREW YOU" macro'd response.

Ugh. Just hate
And the original post finishes up with an attack on people, a statement of how annoying this is to the OP, and the revelation that the OP sent in a customer service ticket to have punitive action taken against the person that won the roll.

I just don't believe this thread was created with the intention of serving the greater good and helping others. Least not when I read the original post's words.

Here's my tips on dealing with ninja looters:

I play this game trying to focus on having fun and dealing with things I can control. That means I try not to let the behavior of others get to me. Because I can't control the behavior of others. If a piece of gear is extremely important to me, and it is something I greatly desire to have on my character I try my best to go after it with a group of friends or guildmates. People I can trust. People who tend to have more altruism inherent in their gameplay. People who actually care about me getting improvements as much as I care about them getting improvements. This tends to avoid loot issues for the most part.

This means when I PUG I tend to be very laidback about the kind of behavior that crops up in random groups I'm placed in by the LFG tool. These are strangers. I don't know them. I don't care about them. And the feelings are mutual. I have zero control over what buttons they push. And no matter what happens, there's a good chance that even if I try to talk to them about something that I feel might have been unjust, I will largely be ignored.

So when I PUG I try my best to go into the situation realizing what can happen.

In short, if a piece of gear is super duper important to you ... get some help from players you trust. It's really the easiest, most drama-free way to acquire the item.
Snoggy Mack
My Blog
My quote: "All the other kids with the pumped up Sith, you better run, better run, faster than my blaster"

Talon_Starfire
01.27.2013 , 12:41 PM | #64
Quote: Originally Posted by Angry_Android View Post
I do not understand this mentality of gameplay. I need for what my main needs, pass on what the other players need, and greed for the in-between stuff.
I need if my main needs it and greed on everything else.
Thanks
May the Gray Jedi Order Prevail Server: Prophecy of the Five
Looking for Sith guild.
Jhornak - Sith Assassin Zarchon - Jedi Shadow Cadezann - Smuggler Vistani -Trooper

HBMalachorfive
01.27.2013 , 07:03 PM | #65
Quote: Originally Posted by DataBeaver View Post
Crafting materials are perhaps the hardest to form a policy on. On a single occasion I've seen it announced at the beginning of an op that everyone should need on mats. If no such announcement is made, I'll wait a moment and need if I see anyone else needing on it, otherwise I greed.
On our server we do inter-guild ops and most of our Prog groups are made up of 2 or 3 guilds. Our way to solve the 'crafting mats issue' was to random all mats chests. We do enough runs per week so that most people will get something and most of us now can RE a lot of stuff so mats aren't a huge issue anymore.
When i do run my daily FP i'm usually group lead on my Tank and i'll bring my own healer along just so i know i'll actually get healed :P then we pick up 2 random dps and go from there. I found 2 ways to stop ninja rolls. First as group lead set loot to master looter that way people can roll for it and then you will generally know if they need it or not. Secondly if you don't want to do that you can quite easily boot them from the group and pick up another dps
Medianne - Wa'ka - Zincona - L'akre - Brancard - Kiaavi

R.I.P F O R K L I F T #PYROWORLD

Ryofo
01.28.2013 , 06:32 AM | #66
So. yeah I'm wondering what the point of this thread is? we all know ninjas are out there, whether through ignorance or idiocy but making a thread on the forums tying to get some validation for you butt-hurt feeling is just as immature. You clearly know what a ninja is and that they exist, this is a pointless thread can we get it locked now.

Ardarell_Solo
01.29.2013 , 09:48 AM | #67
Quote: Originally Posted by SnoggyMack View Post
I play this game trying to focus on having fun and dealing with things I can control. That means I try not to let the behavior of others get to me. Because I can't control the behavior of others.

This means when I PUG I tend to be very laidback about the kind of behavior that crops up in random groups I'm placed in by the LFG tool. These are strangers. I don't know them. [...] I have zero control over what buttons they push.
Hey, that's (for the most parts ;-) a very wise post, cudos for that! If everybody followed that, playing the game would be a lot more fun. Ultimately, any experience including more people than just yourself, will confront you with any imaginable kind of people. Tolerance in the best case and indifference in the worst case is the wise player's healthiest way of reacting to that. I guess...
El'ethon (Sentinel) | Rickmyron (Gunslinger) | Alreegan (Sage)
Craeg (Scoundrel) | Dacs (Commando) | Vayus (Guardian)
<Taking the Jawas to Alderaan> rDD gesucht: -> hier klicken
T3-M4

Icestar
01.29.2013 , 11:14 AM | #68
So much hate and problems could be avoided if the lootsystem got changed to common sense like many other MMOs has done to great success.

psandak
01.29.2013 , 11:38 AM | #69
Quote: Originally Posted by DataBeaver View Post
Recently I got called out for needing on a biometric crystal alloy since I can't make a rakata whatever stim (I'm a cybertech). I politely educated the person that all crafting skills can in fact use those materials, and he seemed to understand it.

Crafting materials are perhaps the hardest to form a policy on. On a single occasion I've seen it announced at the beginning of an op that everyone should need on mats. If no such announcement is made, I'll wait a moment and need if I see anyone else needing on it, otherwise I greed.
When the game was new and those materials were in fact rare, needing on them was a DB move. But now that the market is so flooded on the GTM that it is hardly worth selling them, when someone clicks need, I shrug my shoulders and move on.

Quote: Originally Posted by Icestar View Post
So much hate and problems could be avoided if the lootsystem got changed to common sense like many other MMOs has done to great success.
I disagree with your assessment of other MMOs. Every MMO's loot system has a flaw. Not going to go into details here. Suffice it to say, that some are too restrictive and some are not restrictive enough.

The solution is actually VERY simple...

COMMUNICATION!!!!!

If you are in a group, in a particular FP looking for a specific piece of gear, then TELL THE REST OF THE GROUP!!!!. I guarantee that the group will listen. And if one person decides to be a DB and click need anyway, they have just alienated three players not just one.

Slugamaniac
01.29.2013 , 11:45 AM | #70
Need for your spec, greed for everything else. I don't mind under geared folks needing on crafting mats in FP's since I give them the benefit of the doubt for actual crafting. Besides, those mats are stupid cheap on the GTN anyway if you really need them. If something REALLY useful drops for a companion (and no one else needs it) I ALWAYS ask first before needing on it, that way if anyone else wants to need it for their companion then they should have the opportunity to need on it as well. It's very refreshing to note that most people are pretty gracious about it.
The Last Centurions - The Madhi Legacy - The Harbinger
Slugfest Slugtrooper Slugconsular Slackfest Slugshadow Slugfeast
Slugagent Slugwarrior Slughunter Slugsorcerer Slugassassin Slackmeister