Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender romance discussion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender romance discussion
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Lent_San
01.25.2013 , 02:20 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by jmqqer View Post
This whole controversy about SGR has surprised me greatly. I don't think it should be a big issue. RPGs (yes, even MMOs) are supposed to provide players with flexibility and choice when creating their characters and conducting their personal narrative, and these romance options provide just that. The world is filled with all kinds of people: heterosexual, gay, lesbian, bisexual, transexual, and all of these groups (although some intolerant people may claim otherwise) play videogames and would want to express their own identity in the virtual world, or in some cases, just try something different. For instance, I'm a heterosexual male but I happily played a lesbian Shepard in ME because it provides for a compelling narrative and moral twist. People who are taking offense with this decision by BioWare should be reminded it's just an option provided to everyone, but absolutely no one is forced to play a gay character if he/she is not willing to. Is it absolutely necessary for the game? Of course not. Is it a nice role-playing choice for a portion of the game's fanbase? Absolutely. People should be a little bit more tolerant and respect every SWTOR player.
Amen to that!

Tatile
01.25.2013 , 02:25 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Lent_San View Post
Amen to that!
I'll never understand the arguments against player choice, especially in an MMO

Lent_San
01.25.2013 , 02:35 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
I'll never understand the arguments against player choice, especially in an MMO
*in Gollum's voice*

It's those ressources, you see? Ressources!

They're so incredibly sparse these days and hard to come by. There's barely enough for me, so whatever 'tis you want, you'll have to wait until I say it's okay for you to get some.

Which is never, but I still like you, I do! .....

Sorry, I know this isn't very productive, but I had to get that out. Can breathe better now.

All for CHOICE in a game! Have always been and that'll never change.

Tatile
01.25.2013 , 02:38 PM | #14
So, it's all new NPC's, right?

Am I the only who wants a super-sexy Imperial Officer in their super-sexy Imperial Officer's uniform to be an on-going romance for Makeb?

I can really see my Juggernaut running around Makeb with a female Spec Ops. heavy gunner and my Agent dropping in to get intel and kisses from a military-II liason.

SithKoriandr
01.25.2013 , 02:48 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by jmqqer View Post
This whole controversy about SGR has surprised me greatly. I don't think it should be a big issue. RPGs (yes, even MMOs) are supposed to provide players with flexibility and choice when creating their characters and conducting their personal narrative, and these romance options provide just that. The world is filled with all kinds of people: heterosexual, gay, lesbian, bisexual, transexual, and all of these groups (although some intolerant people may claim otherwise) play videogames and would want to express their own identity in the virtual world, or in some cases, just try something different. For instance, I'm a heterosexual male but I happily played a lesbian Shepard in ME because it provides for a compelling narrative and moral twist. People who are taking offense with this decision by BioWare should be reminded it's just an option provided to everyone, but absolutely no one is forced to play a gay character if he/she is not willing to. Is it absolutely necessary for the game? Of course not. Is it a nice role-playing choice for a portion of the game's fanbase? Absolutely. People should be a little bit more tolerant and respect every SWTOR player.
While I disagree that anyone has ever thought such people don't exist, no matter how intolerant they are of the people, I do agree the more RP options BW is willing to put into the game the better.

Lent_San
01.25.2013 , 02:52 PM | #16
So, it's all new NPC's, right?
Am I the only who wants a super-sexy Imperial Officer in their super-sexy Imperial Officer's uniform to be an on-going romance for Makeb?
I can really see my Juggernaut running around Makeb with a female Spec Ops. heavy gunner and my Agent dropping in to get intel and kisses from a military-II liason.
You know what's really stupid? I started playing a male smuggler (finally) because I was told that his bromance with Corso would really be nudge, nudge, hinty, hinty. Problem is, it is.
So I wanted my guy to basically hit on everything, but can't bring myself to, because it feels like cheating on poor Corso. Feels like I'm missing out on all the fun. I must try to get him to flirt with people, since I heard that Corso would react jealously, but it seems smuggler guy is really a boring old fart so far. :/

I honestly wish I could play Imp characters with any kind of interest in them. I've tried with a female Inquisitor, but I really have to play her really light-side to be able to play her at all. I may try again with a male though, once SGR get implemented with companions. That could make Imps more compelling to me, to let me see their side of things.

Tatile
01.25.2013 , 02:53 PM | #17
Roll Agent, you can be super-Light Side if you want to and still be good for the Empire. Plus, it [Flirt]s like Smuggler.

Lent_San
01.25.2013 , 03:11 PM | #18
Roll Agent, you can be super-Light Side if you want to and still be good for the Empire. Plus, it [Flirt]s like Smuggler.
We've talked about this earlier, but it still strikes me as funny that while in other MMOs I always used to play female chars and felt perfectly alright doing that, only since I created a male guy for this one I kind of started enjoying the game more.

Maybe it has to do with the fact that from day one, Dragon Age and all, I've always played male chars in Bioware games and I don't even know why. I guess it's the Bioware roleplaying/storytelling thing. It's experiencing things through a male perspective which is thoroughly fascinating.

I might try an Agent then. I wanted to play all the classes eventually, but knowing myself, the Reps prolly are the first ones on my list, until I get sick of playing the same planets and quests all over and over.

Quething
01.25.2013 , 03:18 PM | #19
Alternating helps the tedium a lot. Play an Imp to 50, then a Pub to 50. Gives you more time to forget a planet quest before you have to go do it again on another alt.

Although so far I've been enjoying my dual-leveling a great deal - I have a vanguard and an operative that I'm keeping at the same level, so I'll play Hoth as Republic and then Hoth as Imperial, and it lets me do a sort of side-by-side comparison of the two stories and see how they fit together and get a sense of the overall storyline. It does make it easy to lose track of the class storylines, though.

SithKoriandr
01.25.2013 , 03:33 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Quething View Post
Alternating helps the tedium a lot. Play an Imp to 50, then a Pub to 50. Gives you more time to forget a planet quest before you have to go do it again on another alt.

Although so far I've been enjoying my dual-leveling a great deal - I have a vanguard and an operative that I'm keeping at the same level, so I'll play Hoth as Republic and then Hoth as Imperial, and it lets me do a sort of side-by-side comparison of the two stories and see how they fit together and get a sense of the overall storyline. It does make it easy to lose track of the class storylines, though.
So true. As I'm playing all the 8 classes side by side, with a concentration of one over the others as they hit level cap, I've come back to a storyline and gone "What? Huh? Where was I?"