Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Keybind or Clicky Clicky?

VigDiath
01.25.2013 , 01:31 PM | #21
I keybind because I hate losing my mouse cursor on my screen which seems to happen at the worst time. This is my first MMO but after awhile of clicking on abilities (2 months) I figured I would try a basic set up that allowed me to use my number pads for certain abilities and click others. It helped me to get used to the idea of not clicking with my mouse to where now I only click on relics or to throw the ball in hutball.
Jedi Covenant (The Baltimore Legacy)
Laaron - 55 (Shadow Tank) Eulora - 55 (Sage Healer)
Madmartygan - 55 (Guardian DPS) Skylaadawn - 55 (Sab Smug)
Akon - 55 (Carnage Marauder) L'aron - 53 (Sorc Healer)

Ansalem
01.25.2013 , 01:33 PM | #22
the fact remains that when you go to click you lose your ability to move effectively in that moment where you are putting your cursor over your skill to click it. it is a fact that keybinding is more efficient. You are only hurting your own game play by clicking. No matter how you try to justify it you look away, you move your mouse cursor, you lose your ability to turn/move with your mouse in that moment. This game is very casual friendly but if you want to be the best you will make the transition to keybinds.
Clickers are certainly able to be proficient or good in the game, but they have the potential to be so much better if they learn to keybind.

hyperdragon
01.25.2013 , 01:44 PM | #23
As an endgame pve'er i'm a hybrid, i keep my 6 main abilities at 1-6 (for easy access) and keep my seventh ability below the 6 mains for quick access. You'll develop a muscle memory for where you keep your stuff and the what nots. keyboard turning is acceptable in pve mostly because you don't need to quickly turn most of the time. i'm not going to speak for pvp because i'm not a hardcore pvp'er but i've been able to hold my own in it (hurray for snipers!). i do keep some things at the letter F for stuff that would make it easy like my tank has his interupt there, my heal sorc has static barrier there, my sniper keeps her take cover in place there, my op and merc healer keeps target self at F. being a clicker isn't as bad and if your good enough people won't notice that you are, and people who say "Your not a clicker are you?" I just say no because they won't be able to tell.

tank DPS heal, i've done all three and the most difficult to be a clicker on is a jugg tank because they have so many abilities and all that but even then, it becomes so easy.

and if you don't need to turn quickly, you can use the keyboard. people (at least on my server) won't prosecute you for it, in pve.

RattyRattail
01.25.2013 , 01:48 PM | #24
I like to key bind myself... allows me much quicker access to my abilities. One thing I like to do is map the most common used abilities to q, e, r, t, f, g, h, z, x, c, v, b ...... those are a very short distance away from your WASD keys. I also own a Naga, and map many abilities to that... I don't think i can play a game anymore not having my naga. Although, it took awhile for my thumb to get to used to the number grid on the side. You can also use 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 as well. Very easy to hit.

mikebevo
01.25.2013 , 01:48 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Ansalem View Post
the fact remains that when you go to click you lose your ability to move effectively in that moment where you are putting your cursor over your skill to click it. it is a fact that keybinding is more efficient. You are only hurting your own game play by clicking. No matter how you try to justify it you look away, you move your mouse cursor, you lose your ability to turn/move with your mouse in that moment. This game is very casual friendly but if you want to be the best you will make the transition to keybinds.
Clickers are certainly able to be proficient or good in the game, but they have the potential to be so much better if they learn to keybind.
I don't get how I am less effective at movement. I move and heal better than most healers I normally play with, perhaps I don't see the problem because I am not a pure clicker, nor am I a pure button masher. I do both. Also according to group logs I usually have the highest HPS, the highest EHPS and almost always have the highest number of heals.

Not arguing dps, since DPS I do almost exclusively use keybinds. Because in that case I am better at dps doing it that way, in the case of healing, I am better a using both methods. It isn't a matter of being more comfortable with one or the other, it is a fact proven by our guild group logs that I am better the way I am doing it. I went back not because it was easy to clicky, clicky, I changed back because it was better for the group by some 400 hps.

Jadescythe
01.25.2013 , 01:53 PM | #26
It's easy to see people who don't keybind when they slowly rotate one way or the other because mouse turning is unavailable. Can you be effective without keybinding? As a sorc healer, yes, but you'll still be better if not clicking. The time you lose moving from ops frame to clicking the ability alone is a loss of 1-2 seconds per heal. These are the people eating green circles in the second phase of DG, not getting out of red circles fast enough on NiM T&Z, etc because they can't click and pay attention to mechanics at the same time.

If all you are going to run is HM FPs and some SM Ops then fine, but if you want to progress further and not be carried you'll have to start keybinding.
I have opinions and stuff

Larry_Dallas
01.25.2013 , 02:03 PM | #27
Click the heals (have a bar going parallel to the ops frame so I barely lose time), bind all non-heals on all characters. Just works better for me that way.

I do bind the heals too, but only really use the bindings in pvp while being attacked, not in ops.

Larry_Dallas
01.25.2013 , 02:07 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by mikebevo View Post
I don't get how I am less effective at movement. I move and heal better than most healers I normally play with, perhaps I don't see the problem because I am not a pure clicker, nor am I a pure button masher. I do both. Also according to group logs I usually have the highest HPS, the highest EHPS and almost always have the highest number of heals.

Not arguing dps, since DPS I do almost exclusively use keybinds. Because in that case I am better at dps doing it that way, in the case of healing, I am better a using both methods. It isn't a matter of being more comfortable with one or the other, it is a fact proven by our guild group logs that I am better the way I am doing it. I went back not because it was easy to clicky, clicky, I changed back because it was better for the group by some 400 hps.
He's probably assuming you use the mouse, and just the mouse, to move, which would make you stationary while using any ability.

I'm in the exact same boat you are (click heals, bind dps) and, if you're anything like me, you use the mouse to move sometimes and qweasd to move other times on your healer.

ChicagoBearsFan
01.25.2013 , 02:38 PM | #29
People will argue till they are blue in the face that their way is the right way... in the end it is personal preference. Its nice that we have the option to do either clicking or keybinding (or even a little of both). Try both ways out and make up your own mind as to which is better.
Bearsfan - Commando Healer / DPS
Chicago - Shadow Tank
BeÓrs - Scoundrel Healer
<The Jedi of Camelot>JawaSpanker Legacy ~ POT5 Server

mikebevo
01.25.2013 , 02:39 PM | #30
I didn't use the mouse to move even when I was strictly a clicker. I can also very easily look about without using the mouse and be healing while I look around. I also have the heals bound, but using them while moving does affect my movement since they bound on my left hand side.