Stradlin

In Star Wars The Old Republic we already have

- Humans

- Humans with tattoos

- Humans who are blind

- Humans with earphones and space eyepatches

- Humans with green skin

- Humans with blue skin

I've always thought this makes a very exiting collection of various humans. Which type of Humans do you think should be introduced as a new PC race in this game with a pool of entire galaxy's worth of exiting exotic races to pick from?

I for one would like to see

Humans wearing scarfs (Sith Version must use Red or Black Scarf, Pubbie version gets to pick between yellow and even more yellow scarf)

Humans with cellphones (Sith uses iPhone, Pubbies get Samsung)

Which type of Human is your favorite human in SWTOR? I think humans make the best humans cause they human the humans so well that human and also human and human human human.

Seriously, whole philosophy behind VA and how BW chose to allow it to chain every single design decision does great harm to diversity of this game. It is a shame they so firmly believed every single race in this game needs to look like it could sound like George Clooney . It is bit of a drag every single race is the same when lights go out (< -admittedly this has nice " we are the world!!" type of a ring to it tho;p )All this sterile bland 100 mil dollah pricetagged lack of diversity just for the sake of being able to hear some dude from Metal Gear go "THERE WONT BE A HEART LEFT BEATING" every 10 mins. WOOHOOO.

In general there is absolutely no true diversity between the races. For a game with 200 mil+++ budget, this is nothing short of pathetic. They all run, sit, walk, fight, etc, etc in completely identical fashion. No differences in animation at all. All armor looks exactly the same on everyone. It is one of the reasons this game looks stale and boring. Races don't differ in any way. Compare to WoW and get depressed.*

Edited by Stradlin

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so glad this thread is back.

The last thread was perfectly civil. Not sure why BW felt the need to erase it when this is a serious concern for many players.

Thanks Besley:) You very much have the right of it, there was no ill spirited convo whatsoever taking place in the thread. Nobody was even disagreeing with one another that much. Mostly it was some 10-15 ppl holding hands and agreeing something could/should have been done differently. Some interesting ideas.

... Besides some misguided remark implying Wookies aren't cool:(

so basicly your original post was deleted by BW and your reposting it? enjoy your ban man.

I am not resposting it no. There was one word you could possibly manage to count as "an attrack towards community" assuming you read through it with malicious enough intent. This word was " Fanboy" I have since removed this word. I challenge you to find anything remotely insulting from that post.

Edited by Stradlin

Which type of Human is your favorite human in SWTOR? I think humans make the best humans cause they human the humans so well that human and also human and human human human...

Oh man, that really made me LOL.

Still

In Star Wars The Old Republic we already have

- Humans

- Humans with tattoos

- Humans who are blind

- Humans with earphones and space eyepatches

- Humans with green skin

- Humans with blue skin

I agree completely. We really need more actual races. And I think you forgot red humans with slightly melted faces.

Oh man, that really made me LOL.

Still

I agree completely. We really need more actual races. And I think you forgot red humans with slightly melted faces.

Saddening part in it is how the VA related restrictions and BW's seemingly misguided " If every single PC doesn't get to LI and wooo them digital ladies peoples' heads will explode!:( " - thinking is only 68.7% of the problem.

Animation could have saved much. It could have brought so much more color and depth to it all. If humans, humans with earphones, humans with goth makeup and twileks would move even in - slightly - different fashion, the problem would be way smaller. If there would be even slightest of difference in ways they carry themselves. But no. But hay, getting Jennifer Hale say " where do you want me?" couple of hundred times isn't free. Gotta cut em corners somewhere.

Think of Blood Elves and Night Elves in WoW. I'm assuming this, lore-wise, is essentially similar setting to Humans&Goth Humans in StaWa EU lore. Ón surface, they don't differ all that much. Ugly looking Elves with glowy eyes vs Paris Hilton elves with green eyes. Yet, these similar races have entirely different way of carrying themselves. It is present in eveyrthing. Way they stand, way they move, way they sit and sleep, way they fight, way they gesture with hands while talking, casting animations. Small differences in literally everything. I'm assuming, lore-wise, it is essentially exactly the same race with different culture and leadership. Yet, they are entirely different. Tons of diversity.

Edited by Stradlin

If BW is worried that a character speaking huttese or wookiee or whatever would be too repetitive, then I'd like to kindly remind them about the canned phrases I get on every one of my characters.

Exactly. Besides there are various ways of making alien language speaking PC very entertaning thing to have.

And as somebody suggested in previous thread(RIP) nothing is stopping BW from making a very exotic race and then just running the VA through some voice altering synth filter or another. In fashion they currently use with Sith Masks and suches.

Edited by Stradlin

Saddening part in it is how the VA related restrictions and BW's seemingly misguided " If every single PC doesn't get to LI and wooo them digital ladies peoples' heads will explode!:( " - thinking is only 68.7% of the problem.

Animation could have saved much. It could have brought so much more color and depth to it all. If humans, humans with earphones and humans with goth makeup would move even in - slightly - different fashion, the problem would be way smaller.

Well I think we wouldn't have such a problem if BW would have never come up with that dialogue wheel. The old school mute characters with actual sentences to pick were better in my opinion. Lots of voices to pick from, because you don't need to record everything and you actually know what you're going to say (I really hate how inaccurate that dialogue wheel is, you pick one thing and your character says something completely unrelated. It was much more accurate in ME series...).

But still in some cases VO isn't even a problem. Only romance is. For example Kel Dor. They can speak basic, so they can easily use already recorded voices and just add some sort of mechanical effect on top and it would be fine. And if they weren't so stubborn about romances they could just disable them for non-humans or make all humans reject non-humans trying to flirt.

Well I think we wouldn't have such a problem if BW would have never come up with that dialogue wheel. The old school mute characters with actual sentences to pick were better in my opinion. Lots of voices to pick from, because you don't need to record everything and you actually know what you're going to say (I really hate how inaccurate that dialogue wheel is, you pick one thing and your character says something completely unrelated. It was much more accurate in ME series...).

But still in some cases VO isn't even a problem. Only romance is. For example Kel Dor. They can speak basic, so they can easily use already recorded voices and just add some sort of mechanical effect on top and it would be fine. And if they weren't so stubborn about romances they could just disable them for non-humans or make all humans reject non-humans trying to flirt.

I for one would welcome non-human races with very few or no romance options. And if you want, you can even keep companion romances, those things are all so general that they could probably stay as-is. I imagine there might be some issues with the kissing scenes but they could be worked around if they really wanted to.

That is what The Secret World has going. (and Dragon Age, if we wanna stick with BW products)

On surface, it is lame how everybody else speaks and your guy just stands there:( Underneath the surface, good things happen. It gives people writing dialogue of those NPCs so much more room and freedom to operate. It gives freedom for people who ( at leasy should..) know about timing and atmopsherics in good dddrama to do their thing freely. It inevitably leads to NPCs that are so much more interesting to listen. Case in point: TSWs dialogue completely blows TOR's out of water. Their NPCs actually have some genuine depth and character. They are interesting and fun to listen. This is a rare thing in TOR.. mostly due to fact every single line of dialogue needs to be build in fashion that gives player a change to roll dat sweet awesome dialogue wheel.

Think of TOR version of this scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_saUN4j7Gw

(note how Harrison Ford, being a classy man he is, keeps his mouth SHUT. Fast forward 1st 2 mins if you dislike Bladerunenr for some incomprehensible reason )

" I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion"

" THERE WON'T BE A HEART LEFT BEATING"

" I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate."

" HARDLY A CHALLENGE FOR A SITH"

"All those moments will be lost in time... "

" WHAT DOES THIS INVOLVE?"

"like tears in rain... "

" THERE WONT BE A HEART LEFT BEATING"

" time...to die.."

" DAMN RIGHT*DS Points force choke clumsy animation*

All that beautiful dialogue. All that timing, all that build up of atmospherics..lost in time. Blood on the altar of dat sweet dialogue wheel.

Edited by Stradlin

That is what The Secret World has going. (and Dragon Age, if we wanna stick with BW products)

On surface, it is lame how everybody else speaks and your guy just stands there:( Underneath the surface, good things happen. It gives people riding dialogue of those NPCs so much more room and freedom to operate. It inevitably leads to NPCs that are so much more interesting to listen. Case in point: TSWs dialogue completely blows TOR out of water. Their NPCs actually have some genuine depth and character. This is a rare thing in TOR.. mostly due to fact every single line of dialogue needs to be build in fashion that gives player a chnage to roll dat sweet awesome dialogue wheel.

Think of TOR version of this scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_saUN4j7Gw

(note how Harrison Ford, being a classy man he is, keeps his mouth SHUT. Fast forward 1st 2 mins if you dislike Bladerunenr for some incomprehensible reason )

" I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion"

" THERE WON'T BE A HEART LEFT BEATING"

" I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate."

" HARDLY A CHALLENGE FOR A SITH"

"All those moments will be lost in time... "

" WHAT DOES THIS INVOLVE?"

"like tears in rain... "

" THERE WONT BE A HEART LEFT BEATING"

" time...to die.."

" DAMN RIGHT*DS Points force choke clumsy animation*

All that beautiful dialogue. All that timing, all that build up of atmospherics..lost in time. Blood on the altar of dat sweet dialogue wheel.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mb18ptePO21r9jhwp.gif

SO BEAUTIFUL

I agree we need more Actual Alien Races.

I can't understand why Biowares response to this is to give us another Human with facepaints and bad hair in the form of the Cathar and then have it take a year to implament. What has taken so long in the process to get that out and to start working on a real alien that doesn't look like a Human.

Great Post!

Don't forget; Red Humans, Green Humans, and soon Furry Humans! Cathar = more humans! Apparently we the subscribers have no right to critique BW and their failure to capture the diversity of the star wars universe by giving players a real racial choice when rolling up a character which they the player are then going to invest significant time and energy into leveling.

If voice acting was the real issue behind the lack of iconic star wars alien races in swtor then why is it that BW has not provided us with access to several of the alien races that do speak basic and can be added?

The cartel market fills up with fluff items but nothing of any substance is delivered. I had hoped that F2P swtor would open the door to adding new alien (not more humans) races but we have no word on this from the ever silent BW. As a subscriber you have a right to critique the game constructively. Your post was great, the humor much appreciated and fully empathised with. After all better to use humor than just rant :)

Above post (and thread that followed) got deleted for some very questionable reason or another. Reason for deletion was, and I quote, " Please do not create threads that criticize the community in ways that incite overly negative reactions, as this is considered rude and disrespectful, which is not allowed."

Your original post is spot on. Granted, not something that bothers me all that much compared to others, but your criticism is justified. I would also like to add, I was not offended by your post or re-post, I did not find it disrespectful or rude, and you shall receive no negative reaction from me.

Also, I see no criticism to the community, but I am tired, so I could have missed something.

If I had one criticism for you, it would be that you left out a few like humans with horns, hairless humans, and red-eyed humans (I figured the blue humans was referring to the Twileks, but if it is referring to the Chiss, then you left out tentacle head humans).

Your original post is spot on. Granted, not something that bothers me all that much compared to others, but your criticism is justified. I would also like to add, I was not offended by your post or re-post, I did not find it disrespectful or rude, and you shall receive no negative reaction from me.

Also, I see no criticism to the community, but I am tired, so I could have missed something.

If I had one criticism for you, it would be that you left out a few like humans with horns, hairless humans, and red-eyed humans (I figured the blue humans was referring to the Twileks, but if it is referring to the Chiss, then you left out tentacle head humans).

Heheh, I'd like to think myself as a fair and balanced person(like that news channel!) Thusly, a restriction of sorts was used:

" Is it possible to make this race happen IRL by using nothing except contact lenses and face paint on average night clubber on saturday evening?"

Sith, horned dudes and the rest (narrowly!)pass the test. Wellp, Sith fails if you play one without them charming face tentacles.

But indeed... even those horned ( these forums censor word "hörny" ;D " people or ones with tentacles share completely identical 1:1 animations&gear with everybody else. This makes everything look samey and dull, tentacles in funny places or not.

This would be easier to try and ignore if the said animations were something spectacular. They are not. Play WoW. Roll orc or female forsaken. Sit, sleep, stand, run and jump around. Roll AnyChar in TOR and do the same. I claims you can't argue latter looked better when it comes to quality in animation.

TOR does have lots of awesome combat animations going tho I give it that much. This does not include Sith Inq casting animations which are depressing.

Edited by Stradlin

TOR does have lots of awesome combat animations going tho I give it that much. This does not include Sith Inq casting animations which are depressing.

OK, you got me here. I was mainly just going along with your joke adding the other humans in there that you did not. But we're on the same page, too many human avatars, not enough "anything else" avatars.

I suspect they did this because they did not want to put in the time to design armor models fitting other body types/shapes. Could you imagine how much more buggy the clipping and what not would be with armor sets in game if we had playable Mon Calamari (gloves and helms would be screwed), Trandos (good luck with the boots for those lizard feet), and wookies (I do not even like their design in this game). Ugh, just thinking about it.

It wouldn't be impossible making Wookiee, Ithorian, Talz etc. playable, it would just take a very long time to develop. If they can't speak basic, then simply substitute the dialogue with their native language and have subtitles played underneath. If they're unlikely to romance a companion then have them restricted from flirting or have any attempts to automatically fail. Of course gear would be the big challenge as they'd nead to alter every piece so they don't clip and appear properly or they could take the short path make them not appear at all like on Broomark. Edited by Vitas

OK, you got me here. I was mainly just going along with your joke adding the other humans in there that you did not. But we're on the same page, too many human avatars, not enough "anything else" avatars.

I suspect they did this because they did not want to put in the time to design armor models fitting other body types/shapes. Could you imagine how much more buggy the clipping and what not would be with armor sets in game if we had playable Mon Calamari (gloves and helms would be screwed), Trandos (good luck with the boots for those lizard feet), and wookies (I do not even like their design in this game). Ugh, just thinking about it.

I suspect what you suspect is very true, prolly a massive drag to design stuff like head slots. Generally speaking, they seem to have pretty massive difficulties with helmets as a whole; Sith mask/breathing thing type of a thing is almost only head slot non trooper/BH classes seem eager to use. Other than that one mostly just hides the headslot. Ability to do so is among things they actually ask F2P crowd to pay money for :D That alone speaks volumes!

I personally wouldn't mind armor that is bit abstract in nature when worn by Mon Calamari or a Wookie. Platey Platemail Of Medieval DuroSTeel Plateness of STamina+10 could look like an ammo belt just fine. I bet nobody wants to see wookie in actual armor. Just aint right.

IMO it would have done them good to completely drop almost all helmets in game and replace em all with more sublte head stuff. (Item name: Killed Mob's Grace of Eagle+1. Looks like a small earphone for scifi humans, it looks like pair of ear rings for hippie alies. ) There are some headslots I suspect people just want to see. Such as Stormtrooper/BH helmets. That's about it. Not many want some freaking clumsy sun bathhing hat on their smuggler or jedi or agent.

I'm not comfortable with adding WoW did it!! in every other post here but meh:l It does have unique armor. On every single race. If you have EA and 200 mils+++++ behind you and you do something as colossal as the VA TOR manages, it should not be beyond em to fix some unique armor to increase ze diversity even somewhat.

Admittedly it is much harder in scifi environment than it is in fantasy; not as much room to go wild.

Edited by Stradlin

Of course gear would be the big challenge as they'd nead to alter every piece so they don't clip and appear properly or they could take the short path make them not appear at all like on Broomark.

I can see the whinge posts now, screaming why cant you make showable gear for X...

Its a can of worms they dont want to open, and I dont blame them, far too many hurdles, and far too much work for the questionable outcome, and theres much more important things this game could do with.

I can see the whinge posts now, screaming why cant you make showable gear for X...

Its a can of worms they dont want to open, and I dont blame them, far too many hurdles, and far too much work for the questionable outcome, and theres much more important things this game could do with.

I don't know how questionable the outcome is! IMO diversity, impression of different cultures and people is very important in MMO.It adds so much life. It has subtle way of making people feel more at home, less bored and more immersed.

I always remember being undead forsaken in wow and seeing pair of humans for very 1st time ever from my vantage point in them bushes. " omg what the hell are those freaks we sure dont have anything looking like that in Orgrimmar at all:O" Twas a culture shock

Edited by Stradlin

I suspect what you suspect is very true, prolly a massive drag to design stuff like head slots. Generally speaking, they seem to have pretty massive difficulties with helmets as a whole; Sith mask/breathing thing type of a thing is almost only head slot non trooper/BH classes seem eager to use. Other than that one mostly just hides the headslot.

IMO it would have done them good to completely drop almost all helmets in game and replace em all with more sublte head stuff. (Item name: Killed Mob's Grace of Eagle+1. Looks like a small earphone for scifi humans, it looks like pair of ear rings for hippie alies. ) There are some headslots I suspect people just want to see. Such as Stormtrooper/BH helmets. That's about it. Not many want some freaking clumsy sun bathhing hat on their smuggler or jedi or agent.

Actually, now that you mention it, I have hidden the headslot on most of my characters...even more ugh.

I'm not comfortable with adding WoW did it!! in every other post here but meh:l It does have unique armor. On every single race. If you have EA and 200 mils+++++ behind you and you do something as colossal as the VA TOR manages, it should not be beyond em to fix some unique armor to increase ze diversity even somewhat.

Admittedly it is much harder in scifi environment than it is in fantasy; not as much room to go wild.

You may not be comfortable with adding "WoW did it!!!" but how about DAoC, SWG, Rift, LOTRO? Good grief, City of Heroes did not even have gear looted from enemies and you had more customization options than any other MMO I have seen.

This game desperately needs an appearance tab because the lack of moddable gear is atrocious. But I doubt that will happen, seeing as how someone in control will most likely think it will somehow hurt cartel market revenues.

Edited by Rezakh