Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Disappointed With The Romance Options

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Disappointed With The Romance Options

HungryMurloc
01.24.2013 , 12:37 PM | #1
Since I'm a big fan of Biowares game, I really looked forward to a online player game were you had it all; including romance option (as a women I can't get enough of romance!), but got really disappointed when I saw the few boring characters that you could so call "romance". I've heard a lot of people complaining about the flirting itself, apparently just 2-4 conversations? Are there any plans on developing this further? Maybe add more intresting romance conversations and scenes? And add more different characters; races, appearances, personalities, gender? Come on Bioware, you guys can do a hell lot better than this!

Is anyone here happy with a character that they have romanced in the game?

errant_knight
01.24.2013 , 12:48 PM | #2
You have to compare interations to mmos not single player games. This level of companion interaction is fairly unprecedented. In a single player game, they'd only be writing and voicing interactions for one character. Here, it was for 8. They did damn well considering time and financial restrictions that represents. No, the relationships aren't what they were in, say, Dragon Age: Origins, but that's not feasible in an mmo. In my opinion, some of the romances are very good and all add to the game.

bright_ephemera
01.24.2013 , 01:01 PM | #3
Well, for the most part romance in this game is hitting the items labeled [Flirt] any time they come up because if you miss the wrong one you will be locked out of future romance conversations. But don't worry, once you're past the unmarked lockout point you can, with a very few exceptions, never stop the romance again.

A lot of romanceable companions have maybe 5-6 romance conversations, so that's nice. They are gated by approval and by your progress in the class quest; the companion will tell you when he wants to talk to you, so you don't have much control over the pace. Once the conversation line is complete you'll get a few very cool bonus in-game mails, then...nothing. No additional conversations, no special on-click statements, nada.

If you're not looking for the long term, there are one-night stands you can have with some NPCs on individual planets as you quest through; some classes get more of these opportunities than others.

It has been a titanic struggle to get BW to start to take steps toward romantic content for same-gender romances (SGRs); I seriously, seriously doubt they're going to put resources into expanding other romance content for a long time to come. We'll certainly never see the depth of content that single-player games can put their resources into.

All that said? I think Corso is sweet and old-fashioned if clingy; Quinn is either a slightly scary power trip or a long slow ambiguous hesitant strikingly unromantic and yet hard-to-look-away-from saga; Kaliyo is my favorite psycho girlfriend simulator in history; Elara Dorne is just the sweetest possible unfolding of a self-possessed but understandably cautious woman; Andronikos is a leisurely, low-key playmate whose romance stands in wonderful contrast to the hardcore politicking and rank-scrabbling of the Inquisitor's class line. For all their myriad flaws, some of them do add to the game.
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 1900+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

chuixupu
01.24.2013 , 01:12 PM | #4
I have found that the romance options that come with companions that you get as your first or second one are a lot more complicated and fleshed out then the ones that you don't get until your last companion, for obvious reasons. So that is one thing to keep in mind if you're looking at the different classes and the options they have.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

bright_ephemera
01.24.2013 , 01:23 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by chuixupu View Post
I have found that the romance options that come with companions that you get as your first or second one are a lot more complicated and fleshed out then the ones that you don't get until your last companion, for obvious reasons. So that is one thing to keep in mind if you're looking at the different classes and the options they have.
That is a very good point.

In rough order of when you meet them (so descending order of how much content you're likely to get with them):

Corso, Jorgan, Vette, Mako, Kaliyo (starting companions for femSmug, femTrooper, mWar, mBH, mIA)
Elara, Kira, Quinn, Andronikos, Vector (Act 1 companions for mTrooper, mKnight, femWar, femInq, femIA)

That bunch definitely has the most fleshed-out romances, along with arguably Risha, who has some Act 1 conversations as a non party member.

Then:
Risha, Akaavi, Doc, DS Jaesa, Ashara, Torian (early Act 2 mSmug, mSmug, femKnight, mWar, mInq, femBH)
Iresso, Temple (late act 2 for femConsular and mIA)
Nadia Grell (for mConsular; you do meet her and [Flirt] before the very late point when she joins the crew and starts real conversations, but she still gets very little content compared to other love interests)
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 1900+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

ZakMorgan
01.24.2013 , 06:44 PM | #6
^ I'd argue Risha is actually one of the better developed romances. You don't have her as an active companion until the end of Act 1, but she's always around in your ship and very much part of your crew from the beginning of the act. The end-game result with her is pretty serious too:

Spoiler
Founder, and proud Agent since day one

Rabenschwinge
01.25.2013 , 06:50 AM | #7
Well, I don't like the romances in the game much either - less the available options, but more how they are made.

I believe it was a mistake to make such a strong separation between all the classes in game and give every class their own set of companions, even if their story could have easily integrated in different ways - with a few remarkable exceptions such as Kira. As different as our characters may be, they are all adventurers in a the same world of Star Wars who are engaged in the conflict between Empire and Republic in one way or the other. That's ultimately no less common ground to work from as for the Child of Bhaal or the Warden, the Hero of Neverwinter, maybe even Darth Revan. Similar to Baldur's Gate - the choice of the companions should depend on the character instead of the class. Similar to Mass Effect 2, the story might be the companions' own story, with a few blends in the one or the other character story here and there.

Now, what is done is done. But I would very much prefer new companions to be integrated differently into the game than existing ones and have them include romance options. And - while as I said earlier that is not my primary concern - with more choice! With things as they are a Chiss Jedi Knight cannot possibly hope for romance with a member of his or her own species - there is no Chiss romance option in the first place, barring a mini romance for female Chiss Imperial Agents on Hoth.
Ah, yes. "Reapers."

Yria
01.25.2013 , 07:13 AM | #8
I quite liked some of the romances I've seen so far in the game (which are Doc, Vector, Torian, Quinn and Kaliyo). Although some of them were more appealing to me than others - for example, Quinn definetly isn't my kind of guy, - all of them still were more or less well-writen, but.... huge but, in fact. You get all these companions not very late in your story. You have time to know each other better, to develop some relationship, etc. On the contrary, romances with those companions whom you get somewhere past Hoth look pretty rushed. Nadia Grell is ok, I suppouse, since you meet her long before she actually becomes a part of your crew. But with Temple and Iresso... I just don't get it

JediMB
01.25.2013 , 07:30 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Rabenschwinge View Post
I believe it was a mistake to make such a strong separation between all the classes in game and give every class their own set of companions, even if their story could have easily integrated in different ways - with a few remarkable exceptions such as Kira. As different as our characters may be, they are all adventurers in a the same world of Star Wars who are engaged in the conflict between Empire and Republic in one way or the other.
They could have definitely gotten away with one or two unique companions per class (like Mako and Torian for BH, Risha and Corso for Smuggler) and filled out the rest of the team with faction-tied companions. Sure, it would lead to less character diversity, but it could also come with a quite significant increase in quality.

We'd go from 40 companions (+2 ship droids) to 22 (+2 ship droids). Each class would then have their two unique and presumably human romance options, their ship droid, and on top of that three "aliens" with perhaps a 2-to-1 gender ratio. (Maybe two male aliens and one female for the Empire, and vice versa for the Republic. Then maybe two of the three could be romance options, while the third is a Jawa or some other entirely non-human species.)

Heck, with the money saved on the lower number of fleshed out companions, they could have given each class a unique ship droid. The Jedi Knight's astromech could be his/her ship droid, the Imperial Agent could have one of those creepy floaty probe droids, etc.
The Morrowbringer Legacy The Red Eclipse (PvE) [EU]
Deep into that darkness peering, you reach out your hand and grasp what you are searching for.
Now ring the bells that sweep away the darkness; the bells that beckon tomorrow's dawn.

CrazyGreggy
01.25.2013 , 07:30 AM | #10
Iresso is the only romance I've bothered with. Corso is a keep-em-barefoot-and-pregnant creep, Jorgan is a furry fantasy (and starts off abusing your toon anyway), Theran is a creep with a holo-gf, Quinn is Mr Slimy and Pierce is just a cockney bit o'rough. Doc is, in Kira's immortal words, one giant hormone and Andronikos Revel is yet more rough. Iresso is the only genuinely nice guy I've come across so far and neither my Merc or Operative are high enough to have got male comps yet.

Seems to me that the male NPC romance options almost all have something decidedly off about them, something unsettlingly strange, not just normal run of the mill personality quirks.