Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Thermal Detonator Tweak

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Thermal Detonator Tweak

DarthAkromious
01.18.2013 , 08:18 PM | #1
An idea I had for this ability.

What if Thermal detonator blew up instantly.

TD isn't bad at all in my opinion, but It's kind of a pain to use in PVE if you need to burst at any given moment. I know it's a PVP spec, and yes there's always Rail Shot which is wonderful for burst damage, but for a top tree ability the countdown seems unnecessary. We've already got one ability with a countdown (Explosive Dart).

Granted than what makes TD any different from Immolate if you remove the countdown. Still, TD doesn't apply a DoT or proc anything, it's just there to give you more burst damage, so why not chuck it at your target and have it blow up on impact?

I can live with...

Incendiary Missile
Railshot
Explosive Dart
Thermal Detonator
Flame Burst
Rocket Punch

To avoid being OP they'd probably have to lengthen the cooldown. I can't imagine much of anything standing up to a Railshot that ignore's 90% of armor, a Thermal Detonator that hits just as hard, and an explosive dart to finish it off. Not to mention the incredibly high Tech Crit Rate that Powertechs can reach. Then factor in Explosive Fuel. I dunno, just a thought.

ScytheEleven
01.20.2013 , 12:12 PM | #2
I used to love TD, and all I did was PVE. Then I dropped it, and realized how worthless it really was.

The only way to buff it for PVE would be to add some kind of armor penetration to it. Making it explode instantly doesn't really do much for it, since you would still have to spec-out of other talents that provide your max DPS.

Now, if TD had, say, 30% armor penetration and had it's heat reduced to 10 or something, yeah, I'd give it another shot.

But if that never happens, I won't lose any sleep over it.

DarthAkromious
01.22.2013 , 02:47 PM | #3
http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#30...r0oZfhrbdh0M.2

I've considered just rolling Adv. Prototype, the speed increase and heat management are excellent for PVE. The other DPS spec I tried I've listed above. I used to work up to Retractable Blade so I could simply trade abilities rather than lose one outright. My heavy-hitter is Railshot and only Railshot, which I am just fine with.

I'm not sure if I should spec into Steely Resolve or Rain of Fire. Power and Crit versus a straight damage increase on a burning target (the latter of which is naturally maintained by my rotation). I really should do some number crunching, but I'm not very good with numbers and calculations. Any suggestions? What spec do you currently run for DPS?