Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Heals - my fault or not

kunderam
01.21.2013 , 04:23 AM | #1
K, so . . . my main is a sent, but have a heals spec comando, fresh 50. Just tried to run my first HM FP (false emperor). First pull, I get slammed immediately. Pop defensive CDs, but am just getting slammed. We wipe. Try again, same thing. Am I doing soething wrong? Or am I just a dumb dps who needs to learn to heal? I know the instance -- I mean, this was the first pull (though no one seemed to think it necessary to cc one of the big droids). Tried to sorta los, but I'm pulling aggro immediately (not shooting at anything, had time for one or two heals before MDK)

I'm used to dps, and I've healed normal FPs. But when I've dpsed a HM, I have never pulled that much aggro rught at the start.

Anyway -- advce?

Dragonbgone
01.21.2013 , 04:38 AM | #2
Sounds like your tank was bad. Make sure you CC things until you get enough gear to not have to worry about the extra damage.
. : Messores Republicae : .
Reapers of the Republic

FlyinSpaghetti
01.21.2013 , 04:39 AM | #3
If you go to CC tank needs to pull immediately before hand while it's charging and/or drop an AoE taunt straight after the cc. so the mobs attack him first and not you before the dps can go in and grab secondary threat from the mobs so the healer doesn't get hammered.
Quote: Originally Posted by BaronV View Post
Thats no moon... thats a CARTEL COIN!

Chylla
01.21.2013 , 04:40 AM | #4
Sounds like a bad group to me. Here's why:

1) No CCs.
2) No aoe taunt by the tank to pick up stragglers
3) No taunt to pick things OFF you.
4) No dps trying to in-fight CC to stop things from eating you or at least them melting their faces to make them look at them INSTEAD of you.

I'd just shrug it off and move on. I've had groups like that before. Try not to let em bug you. =)

mcslack
01.21.2013 , 05:22 AM | #5
Hi im really new at this. Im a Healer and when first doing Hard Modes it can be painfull!! What u describe happened many times. Its a combo of bad group and lots of fresh 50s. Really nobodies fault unless there were geared peeps with exp. The Exp. players will tell u what to do. They know these runs inside and out.
After a while i got better gear and things start 2 fall into place. Then i stopped feeling like every wipe was my fault. It takes time and healing really has little social reward 4 all the hard work.
I know exactly what ur feeling. Before u know it youll b seeing from afar that not all wipes are caused because of healer. Trust me it gets better.
Also the speed at which peeps run these makes it very hard to learn and keep up.

suneilr
01.21.2013 , 05:38 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by kunderam View Post
K, so . . . my main is a sent, but have a heals spec comando, fresh 50. Just tried to run my first HM FP (false emperor). First pull, I get slammed immediately. Pop defensive CDs, but am just getting slammed. We wipe. Try again, same thing. Am I doing soething wrong? Or am I just a dumb dps who needs to learn to heal? I know the instance -- I mean, this was the first pull (though no one seemed to think it necessary to cc one of the big droids). Tried to sorta los, but I'm pulling aggro immediately (not shooting at anything, had time for one or two heals before MDK)

I'm used to dps, and I've healed normal FPs. But when I've dpsed a HM, I have never pulled that much aggro rught at the start.

Anyway -- advce?
I assume you have the base tionese/recruit mk2 gear on?
I've not noticed any problems in healing HM fps since they were nerfed.
Let the tank pull before you cc (if you need to cc) and keep your trauma probe on him for the ~2 secs it takes to cc.

Quote: Originally Posted by mcslack View Post
Hi im really new at this. Im a Healer and when first doing Hard Modes it can be painfull!! What u describe happened many times. Its a combo of bad group and lots of fresh 50s. Really nobodies fault unless there were geared peeps with exp. The Exp. players will tell u what to do. They know these runs inside and out.
After a while i got better gear and things start 2 fall into place. Then i stopped feeling like every wipe was my fault. It takes time and healing really has little social reward 4 all the hard work.
I know exactly what ur feeling. Before u know it youll b seeing from afar that not all wipes are caused because of healer. Trust me it gets better.
Also the speed at which peeps run these makes it very hard to learn and keep up.
Well as a healer there isnt much you need to do if the group is racing to finish it, just keep the tank and yourself at full health (and watch powertechs/vanguards who might pull agro) and if everyone else is running on and attacking stuff without topping up their health first feel free to let them die without feeling guilty.
< ToFN Not Good Enough> The Hod Legacy
Lvl 55 Sage - Xivioke || Lvl 55 Scoundrel - El'ara || Lvl 55 Vanguard - Cky || Lvl 55 Sentinel - Black-sun || Lvl 55 Commando - Slack'er

Vanarion
01.21.2013 , 06:38 AM | #7
First off ... you basically died due to aggro mechanics and the fact that a lot of people don't know about them.

The thread generated by healing is distributed among all opponents in fight, whereas thread from damage is only applied to the npc(s) that actually took it. Taunts guaranttee aggro for a few seconds and after those the normal thread table decides who is the next target.

If a mob group is is relatively large chances are high that a few mobs neither have been taunted nor have taken damage.
So even with the slightest heal you do, you're the the lonely inhabitant of their thread list.

In a well prepared pull this should not be a problem and you would rarely have the aggro of even a single mob.
Problem is, preparatiion of pulls in GF runs is often ... lets say ... suboptimal .

When running with a good group you should experince far less problems.
This begins with knowing what to CC while the tank opens the fight. Out of stealth CCs will of course be applied before that.
It continues with the Tank pulling the aggro in a most optimal way using his AOE taunt and attacks.
The DPS should know what to take down first. At the beginning these are usually the taunted normal mobs.
This should only leave a few remaining threads to control.

Of course there are certain bosses that have random aggro, aggro resets, random attacks...
Server: Vanjervalis Chain
Gilde: Corellianischer Sonnenregen
Das Anchoi Vermächtnis: Silan, Gelehrte; Beslan, Revolverheldin; Nalis, Saboteur

slafko
01.21.2013 , 07:47 AM | #8
What I've noticed in the False Emperor FP is ...

1) People take the mid droid head on instead of ignoring it and having one less big mob to worry about,
2) DPS do not bother with weak/normal mobs scattered throughout the group and they rape the healer,
3) Some wiseguy using AoE and breaking cc's,
4) Ranged classes stay at the back eventually picking up aggro from the patrolling droid to the right.

If a few of these PUG festivities happen at the same time, ...

POPsi
01.21.2013 , 07:53 AM | #9
It's always the healer's fault

Joking aside, when I had these groups I just vanish and watch them die, they'll learn from that. Though it's not really an option with your class. Talk to the group, if they don't comply, bail.

Jadescythe
01.21.2013 , 09:43 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Vanarion View Post
First off ... you basically died due to aggro mechanics and the fact that a lot of people don't know about them.

The thread generated by healing is distributed among all opponents in fight, whereas thread from damage is only applied to the npc(s) that actually took it. Taunts guaranttee aggro for a few seconds and after those the normal thread table decides who is the next target.

If a mob group is is relatively large chances are high that a few mobs neither have been taunted nor have taken damage.
So even with the slightest heal you do, you're the the lonely inhabitant of their thread list.

In a well prepared pull this should not be a problem and you would rarely have the aggro of even a single mob.
Problem is, preparatiion of pulls in GF runs is often ... lets say ... suboptimal .

When running with a good group you should experince far less problems.
This begins with knowing what to CC while the tank opens the fight. Out of stealth CCs will of course be applied before that.
It continues with the Tank pulling the aggro in a most optimal way using his AOE taunt and attacks.
The DPS should know what to take down first. At the beginning these are usually the taunted normal mobs.
This should only leave a few remaining threads to control.

Of course there are certain bosses that have random aggro, aggro resets, random attacks...
The TL;DR version of this is correct. Healers pull aggro from everything, your DPS didn't hit the stuff the tank couldn't pick up so it killed you. You can try your aggro dump, but it probably won't work.
I have opinions and stuff