Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

DPS: Merc vs PT

Jayshames
01.18.2013 , 01:59 PM | #1
EDIT: Sorry, I was completely ignorant and made a thread before even reading up, there's a thread baically asking the exact same as me just a few down, feel free to answer anyway.

I currently have a 50 vangaurd + 45 pyro, and a 24 merc.
I'm wondering how a Mercenarys DPS will compare to a Powertechs now, since Thermal Detonator and Incendiary Missile have had their range lowered with powertechs.
I've tried a few warzones on my merc and seem to be doing top damage alot. (then again, it is pre50)

Would anyone be able to compare the two for me since I'm struggling to decide which to play. Personally, I think mercs have decent DPS and I've also noticed that with the 5 extra skill points coming from the expansion they'll be able to help alot.
I know the Arsenal tree requires cast times, so a comparison between the pyrotech trees would be nice. I was told that Pt's have the upper hand since they have more survivability, but I was led to believe that both classes had the same defensive abilitys and with the pyrotech tree would have the same attributes?

I really am lost, any thoughts?

Lorcen
01.18.2013 , 04:19 PM | #2
Quick answer is Powertech. The potential Dps on the Merc is great in a organised team where you can sit back and nuke. But Powertech has the versatility & Mobility to burst targets down and solo play if you don't have the support needed to effectively run a Merc. A lot of people are hoping the Merc (including me) will be reworked soon, but for now role a PT buddy. Run a Pyro spec until around 20-30 to maximise your effectiveness and then take a look at the AP and ST trees. I have low lvl Pyrotech guides on my channel that might be useful if you're starting out! All the best...
Mitt Fisto Powertech

sumuser
01.18.2013 , 11:43 PM | #3
If you have no desire to tank or played in ranked PvP matches, go merc. They do amazing PvE damage and can CC both a humoid and droid.

I have a lvl 50 PT shieldtech that I also had spec'ed into pyro and AP. PTs make great PvE tanks and in the pyro spec are an amazing PvP class. They can put out some serious damage in PvE as well, but honestly there are better melee dps choices (marauders and assassins are a far better PvE class when looked at as a whole).

Mercs on the other hand make amazing PvE dps'ers with hard hitting aoes and the ability to throw out pocket heals (or spec into a full healer). So, for PvE go merc unless you may want to tank. For PvP consider the pyro dps class.
Jedi Covenant
Apotheosis | lvl 50 | Bounty Hunter
Utnapishtim | lvl 50 | Sith Warrior

Talon_Starfire
01.19.2013 , 05:53 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by sumuser View Post
If you have no desire to tank or played in ranked PvP matches, go merc. They do amazing PvE damage and can CC both a humoid and droid.

I have a lvl 50 PT shieldtech that I also had spec'ed into pyro and AP. PTs make great PvE tanks and in the pyro spec are an amazing PvP class. They can put out some serious damage in PvE as well, but honestly there are better melee dps choices (marauders and assassins are a far better PvE class when looked at as a whole).

Mercs on the other hand make amazing PvE dps'ers with hard hitting aoes and the ability to throw out pocket heals (or spec into a full healer). So, for PvE go merc unless you may want to tank. For PvP consider the pyro dps class.
So Pyro PT for PvP?
May the Gray Jedi Order Prevail Server: Prophecy of the Five
Looking for Sith guild.
Jhornak - Sith Assassin Zarchon - Jedi Shadow Cadezann - Smuggler Vistani -Trooper