Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Windows 8 problems

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Beesodd
01.17.2013 , 07:06 AM | #51 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Hi guys, I'll just chime in here, it may be relevant.

Another player had been having similar issues to those described here, and running the compatibility wizard (which then set it in Windows 7 mode) for both the launcher and swtor.exe fixed it for them.

This has been mentioned previously, of course, I'm just reiterating in case it was skimmed past by anyone.

Thanks.

Beesodd | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support

Crayghe
01.18.2013 , 12:55 AM | #52
Answering for myself.

Compatibility - Both launcher and swtor have been run through the compatibility tests, and the result is the same. In-game, the connection bar is red.

Firewalls - The whole game folder has been added to Windows Defender exception list, and Trend Micro exception list. (Though I usually turn off the Windows side of it and leave the rest to my paid virus killer.) I've turned off both programs (to many dire warnings from my computer), and tried that too. Again, connection bar in-game is red.

Outside the game my connection is fine, and I'd rate my gaming computer as mid-to-high range as far as specifications go. As I mentioned, I did jag one session of excellent connectivity - but that was undone by the next restart. Given the number of comments (here and on other forums) that "Windows 8 works fine", it shouldn't be this hard to get a decent gaming experience...
I'll have champagne for my real friends, and real pain for my sham friends...

OwenBrooks
01.21.2013 , 04:38 AM | #53
Hi Crayghe
last time I saw this behavior it was the firewall settings on defender.
Make sure the exceptions for windows defender are also set for allowing access to public networks and reboot is required for the changes to occur. This will cause red connection and DC every few minutes.

TheNightcrawler
01.21.2013 , 12:31 PM | #54
Dumb question, decided to check my Windows Defender and it is currently not on. Would that cause issues as well?

Edit:>> The reason I ask is because I have another Virus protection program that turns Window Defender off when it is activated.
Heavily Medicated For Your Safety

Self Control. The Only Way To Survive In This World Dominated by Idiots.

Benfynyn
01.21.2013 , 12:56 PM | #55
I had upgraded to Windows 8 when it came out and was crashing to "desktop" multiple times during each gaming session. Literally, the game was becoming unplayable. What I found is that a program was running in the background that was supposed to provide a smoother playback of streaming videos. It was bundled with Windows 8 and set to turn on at start up. I turned that off and my disconnects stopped.

I'm at work at the moment so I can't say for certain what the program name is. When I get home I'll check and update this post. But you can check your Task Manager and see if anything else is running.
Quote: Originally Posted by JovethGonzalez View Post

After some investigation, it appears that there was some miscommunication between teams and this patch note was not intended to be included in this last patch.

OwenBrooks
01.22.2013 , 11:27 PM | #56
For those with windows 8 and low FPS - possible solution ? - Turn off Hyper V

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...3566eb4?page=2

SPKyle
01.30.2013 , 08:45 PM | #57
i am having the same problem on my new PC. It just freezes up, can still hear music but nothing else. I have to reboot to get out.

UncelSam
02.04.2013 , 01:14 PM | #58
Same problem here

OptionalFTW
02.04.2013 , 03:08 PM | #59
....People must seriously not know how to install drivers or configure their games graphical settings properly this day and age...

Go to nvidia.com or amd.com and download the drivers for your card + windows 8 64 bit

profit. end of story. If it's not working, something is wrong in your computers hardware, or there's conflicting programs that came over from an "Upgrade" to windows 8 and not a fresh install. Figure it out, don't blame SWTOR.

I have windows 8 + swtor running on a gtx 670 from nvidia at 60+ fps.

UncelSam
02.05.2013 , 11:53 AM | #60
Quote: Originally Posted by OptionalFTW View Post
....People must seriously not know how to install drivers or configure their games graphical settings properly this day and age...

Go to nvidia.com or amd.com and download the drivers for your card + windows 8 64 bit

profit. end of story. If it's not working, something is wrong in your computers hardware, or there's conflicting programs that came over from an "Upgrade" to windows 8 and not a fresh install. Figure it out, don't blame SWTOR.

I have windows 8 + swtor running on a gtx 670 from nvidia at 60+ fps.
Tried that, it didnt help.

game Still freezing up. Never had this problem with Win 7.