Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

PvP Guard Damage Mitagation

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
PvP Guard Damage Mitagation

GHoppa
01.13.2013 , 04:03 PM | #11
Wow, awesome job!

I was going to round up some sucke... err i mean friends myself and do some of my own testing, but what you have done is alot more comprehensive than i would have.

So, we now know that all our own mitigation sources apply to gaurd damage, and you will take the same damage weather or not you gaurd a commando or a sage. We also know dark shroud does not affect guard damage.

This is another definitive reason for tanks to be in tanking gear if the role they are assigned is to help their teammates survive.

Thanks again!

funkiestj
01.17.2013 , 01:03 PM | #12
Can you test with an attack that is melee/ranged but yellow (internal/elemental) damage?

Shield mitigate based on attack type, while armor mitigates based on damage type. Melee/ranged + internal/elemental should be migitated by shield but not armor (if shield works for guard damage).

Mr. Hat says "BW support is the best"!
I am a bad player, so what?

Kitru
01.17.2013 , 01:07 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by funkiestj View Post
Can you test with an attack that is melee/ranged but yellow (internal/elemental) damage?
There are none of those in game atm. M/R I/E attacks are a theoretical possibility but not practically present. If it's yellow damage, it's a Force/Tech attack, not M/R so you're never going to see an M/R attack that throws up yellow numbers.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

funkiestj
01.17.2013 , 01:07 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by xGBox View Post
I

I can also confirm that Defense chance will be calculated through Guard damage so long as the originating damage could've been mitigated (i.e. Melee/Ranged but not Force/Tech). You can easily prove this by dealing damage to the targeted player and see that, occasionally, damage towards the tank will not be applied at all. One caveat: This will not show up on a parser, and you will not see text indicating that you have dodged a guarded attack.
Again, great work! If you need help testing and you are on Bastion or Harbinger, let me know. I'd love to help.

I think my guardian tank has a significant resistance percentage, so unless the attacker (e.g. sage) is stacking accuracy, some of his attacks should miss me.

funkiestj
01.17.2013 , 01:10 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Kitru View Post
There are none of those in game atm. M/R I/E attacks are a theoretical possibility but not practically present. If it's yellow damage, it's a Force/Tech attack, not M/R so you're never going to see an M/R attack that throws up yellow numbers.
Hmmm, now I want to start drawing pictures of all the classes, their abilities and which quadrant they fall into. Of course spec affects this so that means more variations on same pictures.

Kitru
01.17.2013 , 01:21 PM | #16
I think my guardian tank has a significant resistance percentage, so unless the attacker (e.g. sage) is stacking accuracy, some of his attacks should miss me.
Guardian tanks actually have no resistance chance. Shadows get 2% from the Shadowsight talent, and VGs get 2% from their 4 pc. set bonus.
My New Class Idea

funkiestj
01.17.2013 , 01:49 PM | #17
Guardian tanks actually have no resistance chance. Shadows get 2% from the Shadowsight talent, and VGs get 2% from their 4 pc. set bonus.
there is avoidance and mitigation. Resistance is avoidance? What is the yellow damage mitigation? I'm pretty sure my guardian tank has a fair amount of one of those. Now that you mention it, yeah, I think resistance is 0% and force/tech mitigation is 20%?

EDIT: my guardian has significant internel/elemental damage reduction. So yeah, force/tech attacks will always hit. Thanks for reminding me I need to review these mechanics.

EDIT2: these discussions are so much easier when I can login to the game and review my character sheet.

Kitru
01.17.2013 , 05:19 PM | #18
Now that you mention it, yeah, I think resistance is 0% and force/tech mitigation is 20%?
Resistance is avoidance and applies to Force/Tech attacks. Since Force/Tech attacks can be either I/E *or* K/E damage, both of your DR varieties are used against it. In addition, Guardian tanks actually have middling DR on both counts (as far as tanks are concerned, compared to all other roles, tank DR always wins out in both categories): for K/E DR, a Shadow will have ~40%, a Guardian will have ~50%, and a VG will have 56%; for I/E DR, a Shadow will have 21%, a Guardian will have 20%, and a VG will have 19%.
My New Class Idea

steave
01.18.2013 , 12:59 AM | #19
a Shadow will have 21%
Are you forgetting the set bonus? My assassin has 23%.

Kitru
01.18.2013 , 01:07 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by steave View Post
Are you forgetting the set bonus? My assassin has 23%.
You're right. >.< Forgot the set bonus.
My New Class Idea