Combat Medic PvE Guide (Updated for 1.2)

RuQu

Healing has been more difficult in Hard Mode flashpoints. However, my ammo rotation remains largely unchanged. I dropped all Alacrity off of my gear besides 51 points of it, which I will replace as soon as I can get something better. I have 9% via my skills, however.

So far every hard mode has been doable with the exception of Lost Island, which we have only tried one time. The first boss (droid) was very difficult. But in all fairness, two of our DPS were not even Tionese geared, which may have something to do with it. Additionally, the next time we try this encounter, I am asking the two other commandos to throw a heal on themselves if my ammo is below 7ish. It will slow DPS down a bit, but should allow me to keep ammo up until the boss is around 25% or so, where I can then be ready to use recharge cells, SSC and reserve power cell. We did get the boss to 30% on our last attempt before I went OOA, so I feel some better DPS may all be that is needed for this encounter. But I do love the flexability of having two commandos that CAN throw a backup heal on themselves. We havn't needed to do that yet, but the lack of interupts may cause me to heal more than intended which could be offset by the commandos throwing a heal on themselves.

for healing you should never have your ammo go below 9 at all if you do have 2 commando dps also then the droid boss should be a cake. make sure that all 3 ranged are separated at all times and that the tank is interrupting incinerate at all times., and you have to cleanse the stacks that he missed. if you do this only one has to move at a time and dps should be continuous and the dps ranged shouldn't be taking much damage and the commando dps can heal themselves if they moved a bit slow away from the aoe lightning.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for healing you should never have your ammo go below 9

Curious to know why. Ammo regen remains at .6 when you have 8 ammo and if you dip into 7 for a slight second, it is pretty insignificant as typically it isn't a true 7, it is a 7.6 or something, which quickly (200-300 milleseconds) drops back into the high regen rate. Despite that, my goal is to have 8 ammo on hand, but if I dip to 7 for a millsecond, I am not too worried. I don't believe any of my issues are ammo rotation related.

As for your other suggestions - Thanks, we will give that a try.

Curious to know why. Ammo regen remains at .6 when you have 8 ammo and if you dip into 7 for a slight second, it is pretty insignificant as typically it isn't a true 7, it is a 7.6 or something, which quickly (200-300 milleseconds) drops back into the high regen rate. Despite that, my goal is to have 8 ammo on hand, but if I dip to 7 for a millsecond, I am not too worried. I don't believe any of my issues are ammo rotation related.

As for your other suggestions - Thanks, we will give that a try.

Try shifting to maintain 10 Ammo instead of 8. My simulations for 1.2, which general disillusionment is keeping my from polishing up to publication quality, show about an 8% drop in max HPS if you try and maintain 8 Ammo instead of 10.

Staying at 10 also gives you more "Oh ****" freedom, since you can afford to cast an AP or MP (with FT) without dropping into medium, or even a full price MP while dropping only to 7.9 instead of 5.9.

Try shifting to maintain 10 Ammo instead of 8. My simulations for 1.2, which general disillusionment is keeping my from polishing up to publication quality, show about an 8% drop in max HPS if you try and maintain 8 Ammo instead of 10.

Staying at 10 also gives you more "Oh ****" freedom, since you can afford to cast an AP or MP (with FT) without dropping into medium, or even a full price MP while dropping only to 7.9 instead of 5.9.

I think there has been a misunderstanding. I don't maintain '8' ammo. Not sure where I even gave that idea as that would be silly and allow for no breathing room. I just don't let myself get below 7 once a cast is finished. In other words, I don't cast when I have 7/8 ammo, I cast when I have 10ish ammo if there is something to heal. If no one is taking damage, then my ammo will regen to full and then I can apply TP or something.

Lets say the tank get hits with spike damage for 12-15K+ (it happens!) I am going to cast AMP,MP,MP,BI, this will leave me at like 7.6 ammo. However, if the tank merely takes a mild hit, I'll do AMP,MP and HS anyone else that has 'small damage'... The only time I'll hit 7/8 ammo is when the incoming damage is greater than the damage I am able to heal. In which case, I'll ask for assistance with the other two commandos to heal themselves. Whether I heal the damage right away or defer it until later (risky) makes no difference to my ammo supply if I remain at 8+ ammo. In the end, I have to heal the damage so whether I do AMP, MP, MP, HS, HS, HS or AMP, MP, HS, MP, HS, HS makes no difference as I used the same amount of ammo and my regeneration rate remained at the highest tier. Are we in agreement?

Edited by Gabe_Grinstead

I think there has been a misunderstanding. I don't maintain '8' ammo. Not sure where I even gave that idea as that would be silly and allow for no breathing room. I just don't let myself get below 7 once a cast is finished. In other words, I don't cast when I have 7/8 ammo, I cast when I have 10ish ammo if there is something to heal. If no one is taking damage, then my ammo will regen to full and then I can apply TP or something.

That makes far more sense.

It was this line:

Despite that, my goal is to have 8 ammo on hand...

Clearly what you meant was you don't drop below 8 (or barely). Looking back at your post, you are correct, there is no harm in being between 8 and 9. Clipping below 8 can start to add up, but so long as its barely below (as in 7.X) you are not likely to notice a problem.

That makes far more sense.

It was this line:

Clearly what you meant was you don't drop below 8 (or barely). Looking back at your post, you are correct, there is no harm in being between 8 and 9. Clipping below 8 can start to add up, but so long as its barely below (as in 7.X) you are not likely to notice a problem.

You are correct, I was unclear with my wording.

You are right that clipping would add up, but there is something to be said for an easy rotation versus an overly complex one. While the latter will edge out the former in efficiency, it is rather small and is easier to mess up. Ideally perfect efficiency is never hitting full ammo and never going below 8 (with the exception of SSC + Recharge Cells), always getting the full ticks on your AMP and using Kolto Bomb intelligently.

On another note, when I first started a combat medic, your guide was immensely helpful. I appreciate the hard work you have put into it, and also the work on your calculator, which I have used on a number of occasions. Your knowledge of the class is superb and a great asset to the community.

Edited by Gabe_Grinstead

I have been a combat medic since day one. One major change I have done since 1.2 is the use of Field Aid as a heal. It's an instanct, it has a fast cool down, low ammo cost, and it is very easy to make it crit.

Does someone have a good pve combat medic spec after 1.2 they would like to share?

what i have for my spec is i have combat medic full except for dress wounds and med zone because i dont do pvp if you pvp get both of those. for gunnery i have the whole bottom row and special ammunition. so this is how it looks 33/8/0

• 4 weeks later...
I have been a combat medic since day one. One major change I have done since 1.2 is the use of Field Aid as a heal. It's an instanct, it has a fast cool down, low ammo cost, and it is very easy to make it crit.

I've found that my Hammer Shot heals for two or three times what Field Aid heals.

Also, my guild and I just got server second clear of hard mode EC, without using the out-of-combat rez, so the first legitimate clear of hardmode EC on our server. Combat medics may have taken a hit in 1.2, but they're still goddamn viable.

• 2 months later...

I know i read it somewhere but was looking for a quick answer relating to other classes columi gear i could nick the mods out of. i'm in rakata/black hole/columi gear but my stats are a bit borked.

i'm at 40% crit, 65% surge and 15% alac 559 bonus healing (base stats from character pane with only static buffs) .

i appreciate my crit is probably 10% too high and my surge needs a bit more before dr and i could stand to lose some alac. I came back to swtor last week and started raiding on this toon as a healer and its very fun, been learning ammo management etc. just need to sort my stats out really.

any tips would be appreciated. i've read through a few threads but the itemisation on the gear dropping is really weird/bad and short of spending millions of creds for mods/enhances are there other classses stufff i can nick with my unneeeded columi badges?

thanks in advance chaps

Gax

• 2 months later...

I have 40% crit, 80% surge, and 3% alacrity. The heal bonus is around 700.

I find alacrity useless as the scoundrel in our HM EC can handle the fast bursty heals while I handle the heavily sustained heals.

We don't have as much HoTs or channeled heals like Scoundrels or Sages do, hence I replaced all the alacrity with surge.

Our ammo management makes alacrity kind of obsolete, as well, in my opinion.

• 1 month later...
These guides are very helpful, thank you.

How does a Combat Medic's play-style differ from PvE to PvP? Is there much of a difference or does one just have to be more careful and ready to deal with being jumped in PvP?

In PVP, the big green laser will basically disclose your position to any nearby opposing team members.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
In PVP, the big green laser will basically disclose your position to any nearby opposing team members.

I took your advice and stopped using it, however I have found some useful situations where getting their whole team to suddenly realize "Hey, there's the ******e who keeps healing everyone" to be very helpful. For example, I've been able to keep the tank alive in some situations where my healing couldn't keep up by just spamming my Hammer Shot heal. Their team saw this and immediately piled me, which I was able to sustain for a good 30 seconds by healing myself. That distracted helped us capture the objective and our DPS got their and handled the situation.

I died, but the tank and DPS survived and we got the objective.

This strategy might not work often, but I have found it helpful in some situations.

just got me this

Impressive! Nice work

Edited by Kickimanjaro

I took your advice and stopped using it, however I have found some useful situations where getting their whole team to suddenly realize "Hey, there's the ******e who keeps healing everyone" to be very helpful. For example, I've been able to keep the tank alive in some situations where my healing couldn't keep up by just spamming my Hammer Shot heal. Their team saw this and immediately piled me, which I was able to sustain for a good 30 seconds by healing myself. That distracted helped us capture the objective and our DPS got their and handled the situation.

I died, but the tank and DPS survived and we got the objective.

This strategy might not work often, but I have found it helpful in some situations.

Impressive! Nice work

thank you :) I use the Green Beam when possible (E.g. in small group fights) yes it may draw attention to me, but i find it usually doesn't'. (m.b this shows the quality of pvp on the TOFN server? :p) i keep TP on me at ALL times, and when i get targeted Pop Adrenaline + RS and your good for about 20s use SCC and Kolto Grenade to give yourself +10% healing (& slows Enemies) and kite like a MOFO :p (also have Rakata medpack which helps + CC).

I fell like i can get out of most situations, just OP Mara's who cause me a problem. also, don't forget you have Tech Override and Reserve Cells (?cant remember name, but makes skills instant / free).

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
any up to date guides for 1.6 or is this pretty much it ?

I've just come back to the game after leaving the game in April 2012. I'll start running some flashpoints on my Commando and try and get back up to speed on the state of the class to put out a 1.7 update.

• 3 months later...
This thread needs an update, since the guide still has many essential combat medic stuffs that are just too good to be left outdated.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=635473

Here is my personal up to date guide present on both the commando forums and healing forums. Probably should have taken a look before resurrecting a WAYYY outdated post. If there is anything you can't find or I left out feel free to post in a comment and I will include/ elaborate upon that point next time I update it.