Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Should I be affronted

bahdasz
01.14.2013 , 09:52 AM | #11
wow, just wow

Yes, everything is an insult aimed directly at you, it's a great big conspiracy.

Akiviri
01.14.2013 , 09:57 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by bahdasz View Post
wow, just wow

Yes, everything is an insult aimed directly at you, it's a great big conspiracy.
To listen to some people today - you'd think so though......

bahdasz
01.14.2013 , 10:59 AM | #13
Actually, as with everything else, BW messed it up. The republic capital is Corruscant, and in the movies what accent does everyone from corruscant have?

And George Lucas specifically instructed Dave Filoni that Twi'leks have french accents when they were doing the episodes about Ryloth.

I'm sure there are many others, but that's just stuff that jumps out off the top of my head.

CaptRavenous
01.14.2013 , 01:58 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by ajfrankj View Post
It's like this, I'm British. While I don't live in G.B. I still think of myself as being British. The thing is The Republic is American and the sith have British sounding voices. The Sith are the bad guys in this game. Even though I play them.
Should I therefore be affronted that the makers of this game have used British sounding voices for the sith?
I think the Republic should be insulted that you compared them to Americans.
THE GREYWALKER CONCLAVE- Master Zarchon Greywalker
HOUSE OF XARDOX - Darth Xardox

BEGEREN COLONY ROLE PLAY SERVER - west coast

Journeyer
01.14.2013 , 02:10 PM | #15
The imperials, as a group of people who all came from one place, have similar accents. This isn't surprising.

As for British, what are you talking about??? What's Britain? They all sound like they've got Dromund Kaas accents to me.

Unless you want an out-of-game-lore anwer. In which case I've got that for ya too. Watch the movies. See how the Imperials sound? Canonical accent.

As for why the Imps in Canon have accents--no worries. George Lucas isn't anti-brit. He did, however, find himself with a unique need back in the 1970's. He needed the world's largest soundstage for his new screenplay, and for the majority of the film's extras (who happen to be Imperial), he hired local talent once he arrived at Leavesden Studios. Which is in England.
I make useful, game-expanding suggestions.
Holorancor | Food! | Outfit Storage | My Career | Ultimate PvE Solution

eldefail
01.14.2013 , 03:36 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by ajfrankj View Post
It's like this, I'm British. While I don't live in G.B. I still think of myself as being British. The thing is The Republic is American and the sith have British sounding voices. The Sith are the bad guys in this game. Even though I play them.
Should I therefore be affronted that the makers of this game have used British sounding voices for the sith?
In the movies many of the Empire's officials had British accents. That's really the only reason the Empire has this kind of accent in the games. Also, whether the Empire (not the Sith, but the EMPIRE) is good or bad actually is pretty subjective.

If you want to look at an accent and feel affronted because it's used to represent a group of people that you may not particularly like, then World of Warcraft must think Jamaicans are nothing but a bunch of voodoo worshipping lazy layabout trolls. Catch my drift?

The Empire has an accent. It could just as easily have been German or Chinese or anything else.

legolegion
01.14.2013 , 03:57 PM | #17
As a brit living in britan, i am honoured that all the empire sound like us. That starwars recognise our rightfull place in the galaxy, as it rulers. Name another country, what charm the socks of you while taking all your power of you. Even buy your country, and make you kill their own people to defend it for us. We where the ultimate empire, and sw honours that.

Anglvamp
01.14.2013 , 04:05 PM | #18
As long as I get to be offended that there are guys with Chicago accents on Hutta.

There are all kinds of accents in the game, just let it go, its just a game.

^.^
NO one said SGR content should be at the top of the priority list, but eventually you have to get to the bottom of the list

TheHunterC
01.14.2013 , 04:18 PM | #19
I've noticed this to. I've also actually heard some Irish sounding officers too. Some even have no accents.
BioWare consider the ideas in THIS thread.

proud Collector's Edition owner

hillltrot
01.14.2013 , 05:06 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by AlexDougherty View Post
Affronted is not the same as offended, affronted is offended by the whole concept, it's a broader offense, a cultural broadside if you will. Besides we are allowed multiple words for the same thing, it would be a boring language if we all had to comply to american usage, or american's had to observe english usage.

On the subject of the thread, as a British person I am doubly offended, firstly that the Empire seems to be based on the English, and secondly that it's a mock up of southern accents, where's the Brummies and the Lancashire/Yorkshire accents, and could the have at least one scouser in Nar Shadaa, after all we get everywhere.
They obviously don't teach American in England. Affront is not used like that in American. Learn more American, less Brittish.(sic.) Follow Hugh Laurie's example.

The Empire being based on the British Empire. The gall!

I also feel disrespected by the fact that only Midwestern/New England accents are being used. They aren't the only ones who can run a self-destructive, corrupt "democracy".

I'm having too much fun laughing about this.