Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Can't Get a Name

lollie
01.13.2013 , 05:20 PM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by fluttersniper View Post
I've made 5 characters so far and not once did the name I created get shot down by the "already in use" error. Try being more creative.

Avan'Sallana
Ser'ashanteyla
Kor'mala
C'thanap

Just a few examples, yes, I like apostrophes in my names, and they all fit quite well in this universe if you ask me.
Those names look like this to me ---> Gtshabuixiopwkll

CAUTION: DO NOT LOAD SWTOR UNLESS YOU HAVE AFTER-MARKET COOLING INSTALLED!!

fluttersniper
01.13.2013 , 05:43 PM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by lollie View Post
Those names look like this to me ---> Gtshabuixiopwkll
How so? What you wrote out can't be pronounced in any earth language! Mine can And no, those aren't my best names, but I came up with them in a few seconds.

hanhou
01.13.2013 , 06:43 PM | #43
Don't know if this will help you with some ideas or not but for the two characters I use, the way I came up with their names:

Krahn - Playing Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II when I was younger really got me into Star Wars and I even wrote some fan fiction. For a cool name, I really liked Qu Rahn (the master that instructs Kyle Katarn) so I combined the first and second parts of his name, switched the Q to a K, and there you go!

Retep (Napp) - For this concept, I wanted to play Peter Pan if he were grown up and in the Star Wars universe...as a bounty hunter lol...so spell each part backwards = Retep Nap, I decided to add an extra P for the star-warsy feel (like "Fett" has two T's)

Before I lost interest in trooper class, I was also gonna make one named Gutter (as in Sergeant Gutter from "The Boondocks" :P)

Hope that helps...it is unfortunate that names are harder and harder to generate or guarantee (I'll never be able to make my Jason of "the Bourne Legacy" sniper or Captain Jack Sparrow the smuggler), I do feel for you, but hopefully you can figure something out from your hobbies/interests/culture/childhood that you can really get into and enjoy the game with best of luck!
"The Force is what gives a Jedi his power. It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us, penetrates us, and binds the galaxy together."
―Obi-Wan Kenobi

CloudCastle
01.13.2013 , 08:13 PM | #44
Quote:
Stop telling people to use these letters. It's already a pain in the arse to type more complicated name. Trying to type special characters is even more annoying. Worst case, I simply won't group with someone because they had to use Luke or sky walker with a special character.
Two of my characters had the original version of their name and then lost it during the transfers. The only way to keep my names was to use the special characters. One character's name was a real life woman's name, the other was a made up name.

I can second the suggestion to take a random generator name and alter it. I've sometimes done that when I've been stuck for a name.

dacentabaal
01.13.2013 , 09:07 PM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by CloudCastle View Post
Two of my characters had the original version of their name and then lost it during the transfers. The only way to keep my names was to use the special characters. One character's name was a real life woman's name, the other was a made up name.

I can second the suggestion to take a random generator name and alter it. I've sometimes done that when I've been stuck for a name.
Same for me.. back on Trask Ulgo I had Tressk and Erebos... had to re-name them when I moved to The Progenitor so just added the appropriate accent as I workded hard on using them names for those characters (which were base on SW RP group characters named used over 12 years) so now they are Tréssk and Erébos, now I know some keyboards are different but here in the UK the alt accent key is located to the right of the space bar so its easy to use whilst typing
█]╬╬╬╬╬╬(۝)ǁ█خ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓)
http://www.swtor.com/r/sdFwY8

Stenrik
01.13.2013 , 09:45 PM | #46
I scrambled my real life first name to get:

Stenrik
Renkist
Strinek
Kenstri
Sirnket
Rekstin
Nirstek

None taken! (Though I did have a couple 50's at the transfer)

Screaming_Ziva
01.14.2013 , 07:29 AM | #47
Quote: Originally Posted by Saurrantion View Post
Im not using common names. Heck I even did one called Sythen'a and it was all ready taken.
Did you try:

S'ythena
Sy'thena
Syt'hena
Syth'ena
Sythe'na

Vigilanis
01.14.2013 , 08:29 AM | #48
I use a Latin word list usually, like the name of my main character - Vigilanis, it is a slightly differently spelling of the word Vigilans (there are a few other spellings as well) which is latin for Vigilant, there are some cool words in there, like Atavus which is latin for ancestor, Bellum is latin for war...The list really does go on.

Sorry to use that word again but just takes a little 'Imagination' really and a broader view as when you get a game with so many players past and present, a lot of 'cool names' that come to mind will have unfortunately come to a lot of other peoples minds too.
Vigilanis Level 65 Shadow - Othell'o Level 65 Sage - O'Phelia Level 65 Sage
Nepheru Level 65 Sentinel - Graiyle Level 65 Guardian - Kha'fre Level 65 Guardian
Wardens Of The Republic