Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Game shot down takes forever

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Game shot down takes forever

ClaudeTaylor
01.13.2013 , 05:44 AM | #1
When i quit the game , either by logging to character screen then quiting game or just quiting game it seems to be taking a really long time to shutdown. As soon as i click to quit then confirm. Whatever sounds are going on in the character screen or any sound it makes when exoiting the game , the sound will stutter and then the sceen turns black , you can still see the ingame cursor and it takes anywhere from 3 to 5 minutes to exit out of the game completely.

OwenBrooks
01.13.2013 , 05:53 AM | #2
Does it take just as long if you play in fullscreen window mode ?

DeludedAussie
01.13.2013 , 05:57 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by ClaudeTaylor View Post
When i quit the game , either by logging to character screen then quiting game or just quiting game it seems to be taking a really long time to shutdown. As soon as i click to quit then confirm. Whatever sounds are going on in the character screen or any sound it makes when exoiting the game , the sound will stutter and then the sceen turns black , you can still see the ingame cursor and it takes anywhere from 3 to 5 minutes to exit out of the game completely.
I had the same issue, Then i started spamming Alt + f4 or alt tabbing and closing it via killing the process in task manager.

Needless to say many people are experiencing the issue and its caused by the memory leaks of the game. At least thats what 'we' (the people experienceing it) narrowed it down to.

OwenBrooks
01.13.2013 , 06:03 AM | #4
I did see one post where this was fixed "cough"

Only problem was the guy had to reformat his drive after he got a virus and after he did a re-install of windows his issue with long shutdown with swtor was fixed.

I'm more inclined at looking at why windows is having an issue closing the program, which is why I asked if it behaves the same in fullscreen window mode.

(not saying a virus caused it just after he did the above it was fixed for him)
I blame my higher electricity bill on memory leaks as well

Icestar
01.13.2013 , 06:28 AM | #5
Try defrag?

ClaudeTaylor
01.13.2013 , 03:38 PM | #6
Thank you all for your respocs. I really appreciate them all.

It cant be a virus (i hope ) its a 3 day old computer . I have tried killing it with task manager that works to.

ClaudeTaylor
01.13.2013 , 03:51 PM | #7
I forgot to add the task manager thing still takes a while.

ClaudeTaylor
01.13.2013 , 04:17 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by DeludedAussie View Post
I had the same issue, Then i started spamming Alt + f4 or alt tabbing and closing it via killing the process in task manager.

Needless to say many people are experiencing the issue and its caused by the memory leaks of the game. At least thats what 'we' (the people experienceing it) narrowed it down to.
When i alt+tab , something pops up saying i need to change resolutions. Im running windows 8 64 bit by th way. if that helps.

ClaudeTaylor
01.13.2013 , 04:20 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by OwenBrooks View Post
I did see one post where this was fixed "cough"

Only problem was the guy had to reformat his drive after he got a virus and after he did a re-install of windows his issue with long shutdown with swtor was fixed.

I'm more inclined at looking at why windows is having an issue closing the program, which is why I asked if it behaves the same in fullscreen window mode.

(not saying a virus caused it just after he did the above it was fixed for him)
I blame my higher electricity bill on memory leaks as well
I havent tried it in windows mode, yet. I will . Just to see how it acts

OwenBrooks
01.15.2013 , 12:45 AM | #10
I would recommend a chkdsk c: /f and a sfc /scannow and the below.

Delete the DiskcacheArena file then do a defrag does it make any change to the long shutdown ? Recreating without defrag will most likely put it back straight where it was.

You can remove/delete the DiskCacheArena file by going to the following location:
32bit: C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\swtor
64bit: C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\swtor

Doing so will not harm your installation of the game as it will be re-created upon launching the game.