Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

A question about alacrity

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
A question about alacrity

SleepyKing
01.12.2013 , 05:45 AM | #1
Does alacrity affect the tick rate of damage/heal over time or just the channeling time?

A bit of context would be useful, I guess. I have a seer (healer) Sage with whom I (perhaps foolishly) have geared with enough alacrity to improve speeds by close to 10%. An effective 10% increase in heals per second is nothing to sniff at, I thought, but that only works if it also applies to heals over time that persist beyond the channel time (we're mostly talking Deliverance and Salvation here). Salvation in particular is a crucial healing ability, and if the alacrity boost only shaves .2 of a second off the original channel time and does nothing for the actual heal rate, then it seems rather pointless. I may as well have stacked power.

To put it another way, is alacrity completely useless? Should one just stack power (for which there are no soft or hard caps) instead?

Kitru
01.12.2013 , 09:05 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by SleepyKing View Post
Does alacrity affect the tick rate of damage/heal over time or just the channeling time?
Alacrity only affects the raw cast time. You want to have *some* degree of alacrity, but it should never be something you have to stack.

Something to keep in mind, concerning itemization, is that alacrity never competes with power for itemization except on augs (which, as a Sage, should always be Willpower augs anyway, so it's a moot point). Power competes with Crit (and Shield and Accuracy, but those don't matter as a Sage, much less a healer); Alacrity competes with Surge (and Defense, Absorb, and Endurance, but, as before, those don't matter for a Sage or a healer).

Surge's contribution drops off *very* rapidly once you get to roughly 75%, so it's actually generally recommended for healers to stack roughly even amounts of Alacrity and Surge. As such, it's actually pretty common for healers to have ~10% activation time reduction from Alacrity.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

SleepyKing
01.12.2013 , 02:06 PM | #3
Thanks Kitru!