Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What if there were a server WITHOUT the cartel market?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
What if there were a server WITHOUT the cartel market?

_Bonifacius_
01.11.2013 , 08:33 PM | #41
No just no!!! This is even worse idea than the Cartel Market. I rather get my 500-600 monthly coins that I can save to buy the expensive stuff than having to pay another $5-10 to get it for "free".

Master Bonifacius Fernandev
Remember Ven Zallow

Petnil
01.11.2013 , 08:42 PM | #42
With the rate people are leaving swtor is would be a bad idea. The F2P who end up subscibing would most likely stay on the server they start on so new players on a non CM server would be rare. Add to that the people who drop to preffered would have to be transferred to a CM server. Itīs just not worth it. Especially the way CM is made. The intension of CM is not to unlock options to improve the F2P experience, itīs to get all of us, including and probably predominantly subscribers to use the CM.

If a server were made with no CM EAware would loose money unless they would get more subsrcibers in total that way. Probably alot more.

Machine-Elf
01.11.2013 , 08:45 PM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by Petnil View Post
With the rate people are leaving swtor is would be a bad idea.
But you have to ask yourself, why are people are leaving in the first place? People like the guy who wrote this thread.

Exactly.

Free to play.

Drudenfusz
01.11.2013 , 08:47 PM | #44
I am fine on the server where I am right now, I can buy all the stuff that is in those random packs on the GTN with credits and I can play together with people who do not spend any money on the game.
My Old Republic Warring is Magic
Gwenya - The Drudenfusz Legacy, Jedi Shadow on Jar'Kai Sword
When you play the game of PvP, you win or you die.
English version <- SWTOR Wiki -> German version

ItchyThePenguin
01.11.2013 , 09:13 PM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by Machine-Elf View Post
But you have to ask yourself, why are people are leaving in the first place? People like the guy who wrote this thread.

Exactly.

Free to play.
I'd wager that the inflow from F2P has surpassed the simultaneous outflow.
Jedi Guardian -- Miscreant (60)
Formerly of Mind Trick and Corellian Run -- Now of The Shadowlands

Knockerz
01.11.2013 , 09:20 PM | #46
I kinda like the cartel market. You can buy an item off cartel market or you can buy it with in game credits. Thus, I haven't seen any thing bad with the cartel market. They just need to add cartel market items and crafting items so as to not marginalize crafters.

Tumedus
01.11.2013 , 09:31 PM | #47
Quote: Originally Posted by annabethchase View Post
Well actually, if it was technically simple to do, I'd support that in general. Some of your suggestions are intentionally silly, but you could certainly come up with some servers that a lot of people would like to play on.

The two main changes we'd need would be adding cross server pvp and pve, at least within a group of servers to make the population big enough for que's.

The visible & que population then would esentially be the same as instances make it now.
Yes, some were silly but that was kind of the point . Apart from the FFA server, which could be practical in a different sort of game, the idea was that you have to establish 2 branching server types for every feature that you include.

There will always be a contingent of people that prefer things the way they were and you set a precedent for there to be a seperate ruleset every time. Nevermind that you would get weird branching rulesets. How about the people that want add-ons but also don't want companions? What about Ortolan onlies that also want no cartel market? It becomes a bloody nightmare.

Also, considering how much difficulty they have implementing a patch without mucking up the works, think about how difficult it would be if they had different rulesets everywhere. I can just see the outcry when a patch that only changes something in the market manages to screw up some bit of code on the servers without the market.

Machine-Elf
01.11.2013 , 10:24 PM | #48
Quote: Originally Posted by Tumedus View Post
Also, considering how much difficulty they have implementing a patch without mucking up the works, think about how difficult it would be if they had different rulesets everywhere. I can just see the outcry when a patch that only changes something in the market manages to screw up some bit of code on the servers without the market.
This is basically the one fact that, in my opinion, truly detracts from the idea.

annabethchase
01.11.2013 , 11:10 PM | #49
Quote: Originally Posted by Tumedus View Post

Yeah, I"m saying if the technology to do so was there. Obviously it's not, so this is all theoretical.
"Rossum Eponine" & assorted other characters

Machine-Elf
01.11.2013 , 11:27 PM | #50
Quote: Originally Posted by annabethchase View Post
Yeah, I"m saying if the technology to do so was there. Obviously it's not, so this is all theoretical.
Oh no, the technology is most definitely there. The only question is whether or not Bioware would be competent enough to see it through.