Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

When do Commando actually become a DPS class?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Commando / Mercenary
When do Commando actually become a DPS class?

Dabrixmgp
01.10.2013 , 10:21 AM | #1
It certainly isnt 50. Been watching PvP videos to decide whether to go Commando or Vanguard. Also for lolz watched a Jugg/Guardian video. They are hitting for 6-7k crits on an attack thats instant. Snipers/GS also seem to get some sick crits as well. Then every Commando video I watch Grav round hardly tickles anyone. Most crits are around 2500 with the rare 3K and has a cast time. So if not at level 50 when do they become an actual DPS class?

Gyronamics
01.10.2013 , 11:03 AM | #2
You must be new to this.

People have been ************ about the poor usability of commandos in pvp for ages.

In pug games there isn't really an issue and in general it is a L2P matter, I can be in the top 3 dps any game of the day in a pug match.

In organised matches it's a load of ***** because your main attacks have this 1.5s warning before doing any damage called a cast bar and you have no protection against interrupts, physics, leapers, blinds, stuns, CC, stealth abilities

All of which either interrupt and/or also put your main attacks on a cooldown.

So you are constantly broadcasting a signal that your damage can be crippled and you have no way of protecting against this and you have nothing very good you can use while your main attack is crippled.

THE BIGGEST NUMBER in one hit is not why certain classes are better, a gunnery commando can do horrific damage if you let it cast, the grav rounds don't kill you, it's the massive ramp up of damage they create on full auto, high impact bolt and demo round.

But if they can't cast grav rounds those damage buffs never happen.

Anyway, that's PVP, mobs are idiots and don't gang up to interrupt you properly so commandos are really quite good in PVE.

Thus endeth the introduction to commandos.
Hotwired @ Not Good Enough @ ToFN

Dabrixmgp
01.10.2013 , 11:36 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Gyronamics View Post
Anyway, that's PVP, mobs are idiots and don't gang up to interrupt you properly so commandos are really quite good in PVE..
Yea but this is more of a PvP focused game. I mean in all those Star Wars movies I dont recall them raiding much. But I do remember a lot of PvP between the Republic and Empire. In fact I dont understand how PvE even fits into this game when everyone knows the main focus is the conflict between the Empire and Republic.

ArchangelLBC
01.10.2013 , 11:45 AM | #4
Most PVPers would tell you it's PVE focused game.

Anyway commando is great in PVE in all of the raids really.

PVP we're absolute bottom of the foodchain. Been that way awhile, gonna keep being that way. Too little utility and no way to reliably get damage out if the enemy notices you there.
In update 2.9 the game will simply uninstall itself for you.

-Wnd

Kitru
01.10.2013 , 12:00 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Dabrixmgp View Post
But I do remember a lot of PvP between the Republic and Empire.
If you want to get technical, none of the characters in the movies are "players" so it's not so much PvP as it is EvE. In addition, PvP is kind of predicated upon a conflict between equals. None of the movies really show much in the way of "rivals fighting rivals": in the first trilogy, Luke is obviously outclassed by both Vader and the Emperor, which is much more applicable to PvE than PvP; in the second trilogy, the closest you get to rivals for the heroes are Grievous and Dooku, who spend a lot more of their time directing large scale conflicts compared to the heroes who are mowing through hordes of minions to get to the big guys, which is, once again, way more applicable to PvE as PvP.

Just because the villains are well developed characters and have names and backstories doesn't mean that it's PvP; it just means that the villains are characters and have names and backstories (which good PvE *should* have); the overall design and power difference between the heroes and villains, not to mention the fact that the villains tend to operate alone or with faceless minions whereas the heroes tend to work in their own group, actually lends some credence to SW being a much more PvE focused environment.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

Jherad
01.10.2013 , 04:50 PM | #6
Yeah you're a bit late to the party if you want to complain about Commando DPS in PvP.

Try one of the threads in the more populated sections of the forum. Devs don't come here.
Zachar´ah - Commando / Chasso - Merc
Youtube / Twitch
2.4 is the PvP Patch! ... J/K, Removing RWZs trolololol

ArchangelLBC
01.10.2013 , 06:27 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Jherad View Post
Yeah you're a bit late to the party if you want to complain about Commando DPS in PvP.

Try one of the threads in the more populated sections of the forum. Devs don't come here.

In fairness, they don't waste an overabundance of words in the PVP forum either LOL
In update 2.9 the game will simply uninstall itself for you.

-Wnd

Kitru
01.10.2013 , 06:49 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by ArchangelLBC View Post
In fairness, they don't waste an overabundance of words in the PVP forum either LOL
I'm pretty sure there are specific forums they're not allowed to comment in as developers, like all of the class forums and the PvP forums. Supposedly, they (meaning the actual developers and not just art leads and CS reps that do most of the developer tracker content) read all of the forums, including the ones that they don't explicitly post in.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

SnoggyMack
01.10.2013 , 10:46 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Dabrixmgp View Post
Yea but this is more of a PvP focused game. I mean in all those Star Wars movies I dont recall them raiding much.
Episode IV ended with a raid on the death star.

Episode V began with an Imp raid on Hoth.

And Episode VI had the Jabba barge/Sarlacc Pit raid, the Shield Generator raid, AND a second Death Star Raid.
Snoggy Mack
My Blog
My quote: "All the other kids with the pumped up Sith, you better run, better run, faster than my blaster"

Smuglebunny
01.11.2013 , 07:30 AM | #10
My commando wrecks in PVP. Im not sure why but the imp team seems to ignore me while I freecast on Jedi Covenant. In 3 grav rounds I can do tons of damage not to mention the bomb and HIB comming after them...and procced full auto. The secret is to open up on people as far away as possible and who are fighting others. Then they just take all the damage. Im doing 350K plus per zone at lvl 42. My 50 merc doesnt do as well cuz there are better pubs than imps on my server.