Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Problems activating characters

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Problems activating characters
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

ZeroPlus
01.09.2013 , 04:03 AM | #1
Hello,

(Posting on behalf of my son who cannot post.)

First of all, let me quote from the relevant patch notes:
Quote:
•Character slot restrictions are now being enforced:
•By default, Free-to-Play players are restricted to 2 characters per server.
•By default, Preferred Status players are restricted to 6 characters per server.
•By default, Subscribers are limited to 12 Characters per servers.
•All players have a Global Active Character Limit of 350 Characters.
•Additional Character Slots may now be purchased from the Cartel Market. Each Character Slot will increase the number of Characters a player may have across all servers by 1 (players can go beyond their default character slot restrictions). Each purchase will increase the number characters that a player may mark as Active across all servers.
Subscribers and Preferred Status Players who have more than the current character limits will be allowed to keep and play all characters. No new characters may be created on the account until the number of characters on the account falls under the Global Active Character Limit for the account type, even if additional character slots are purchased.
My son, who is a Preferred Status Player, was very pleased when he read the above patch notes as he currently has nine (9) characters on The Red Eclipse (EU) server.

Yesterday, due to homework and studies, he did not update his client or log into the game. However, this morning he got up 15 minutes ealier, (with my permission ), to patch his client and login to check his account.

When he logged into the game he noted that *all* nine of his characters needed to be "Activated". He was a little perplexed as he expected all nine to be active (as per the patch note quoted above) but he went ahead and started to activate them.

This is what happened:
  1. He selected the first character and clicked on the "Activate" button, on the dialog box that appeared he clicked on "Confirm". Nothing happened. The character still displayed "Activate". He again clicked on the "Activate" button and then on "Confirm". The character was now "activated" and displayed the "Play" button.
  2. He selected the second character to activate, clicked on the "Activate" button and then on "Confirm". Again, there was no change: the second character still displayed "Activate". He again clicked on the "Activate" button and then on "Confirm". The second character was now "activated" and displayed the "Play" button.
  3. At this point my son noticed something strange: the character selection screen was indicating that he had consumed FOUR activations even though he only had TWO characters active. My son called me to come see what was happening.
  4. Together we selected the third character. We again clicked on the "Activate" button and then on "Confirm". Again, there was no change: the third character still displayed "Activate". HOWEVER, the character screen was showing that he had now consumed FIVE activations even though he still only had TWO characters active.
  5. We exited the game completely, started the Launcher and logged in again. The character screen now showed THREE characters as "activated" but it still showed that he had consumed FIVE activations (even though he only had THREE characters active).

At this point we stopped (it was time for school (for him) and work (for me ).

I would like your assistance with understanding the following:
  1. Should my son not have had *all* nine of his characters activated as per the patch note quoted above?
  2. Why has he consumed FIVE activations when he currently only has THREE character active?
  3. What needs to be done to correct this situation so that he has ZERO activations available and *all* NINE characters available (as would be expected from reading the patch note quoted above)?

I can provide my son's account e-mail and account name (in a Private Message) if needed.
If you seek answers, you must always ask questions. - Master Vandar Tokare.

[Suggestion] Add another Blaster Pistol with the "A-300 Heavy Sonic Needler" model = DONE!

ronniehenlau
01.09.2013 , 05:13 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Speleo
Hi everybody,

I had encountered 2 bugs yesterday with the prefered status while I can't post to the official forums, I like to ask here does anybody else experienced something like this (also can somebody would be kind enough to post this to customer service forum in swtor forums?)

I was playing last month in Prefered Status with my 12 characters in Red Eclipse forum, after yesterday patch, during my first login, swtor asked me to choose 6 characters to activate out of my 12 to play in Red Eclipse....

Now according to the patch notes this shouldn't be...

http://www.swtor.com/patchnotes

"Subscribers and Preferred Status Players who have more than the current character limits will be allowed to keep and play all characters. No new characters may be created on the account until the number of characters on the account falls under the Global Active Character Limit for the account type, even if additional character slots are purchased."

Now this is definetely not the case the game forces me to choose 6 active characters....

But there is a bigger problem, because I can 't reach customer support directly, I decided to activate my 6 chars....

First one was activated no problem, but something gone wrong with the second one, GUI couldn't managed to activate the character but it start displaying I used 2 of my 6 slots then a second try to activate the same char worked but then I had used 3 of 6 slots, then activation of 4 characters failed and I used the 4 of 6 slots and at the final try I activated 3rd char but my 5 of 6 slots are used.....

So I have 3 active characters in Red Eclipse but 5 of the 6 slots are used??????????????

Did anybody else experienced something like this....

PS. As I said before if somebody can post this to the official forums I will be grateful....
Quote: Originally Posted by Speleo
Same Problem in this thread in SWTOR forums

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=583615

Can somebody please make a comment on thread that there is at least one other person with the same problem?

Thx for the help
Link to thread.

Saw this on our unofficial server forum.
Bållsdeep - Powertech Pyrotech
Amazeballs - Deception Assassin
7 Republic 55s
10 Imperial 55s

Beesodd
01.09.2013 , 05:26 AM | #3 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
We've gotten a few reports to this effect, and we're looking into the activation limit issue.

Zeroplus, thanks for the detailed description. We can't take PMs on the forum, but if you wish you can post one of your son's characternames and their server, which can be used to check an account.

Thanks for the link, ronniehenlau. Could you post up a charactername and server for speleo(in case that's not their game account name) if you know them?

Beesodd | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support

ZeroPlus
01.09.2013 , 05:36 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Beesodd View Post
Hi Zeroplus,

Thanks for the detailed description. We can't take PMs on the forum, but if you wish you can post one of your son's characternames and their server, which can be suede to check an account.

Thanks for the link, ronniehenlau. Could you post up a charactername and server for speleo(in case that's not their game account name) if you know them?
Hello Beesodd,

Thank you for the quick reply.

Details of one of my son's characters:
CHARACTER NAME: Zaffar
SERVER NAME: The Red Eclipse.

Please let me know if you need any additional information.

Thanks again for your assistance.

[Suggestion] Add another Blaster Pistol with the "A-300 Heavy Sonic Needler" model = DONE!

Beesodd
01.09.2013 , 05:44 AM | #5 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Thanks for that.

I can see that 2 of the activations counted twice, as per your decription.

Unfortunately, I can't directly fix this from the forums, but thank you for the information. This will be useful in getting this fixed asap.

ZeroPlus
01.09.2013 , 06:26 AM | #6
Thanks for that.

I can see that 2 of the activations counted twice, as per your decription.

Unfortunately, I can't directly fix this from the forums, but thank you for the information. This will be useful in getting this fixed asap.
Hello Beesodd,

Thank you for the information. I'm guessing that there is not much more I can do at this time other than wait.

If I may though, I would like to ask you to clarify what you mean by "getting this fixed asap". Does this mean that:
  1. My son's NINE characters will be activated as per the patch note quoted in my original post? or..
  2. The TWO activations that counted twice will be corrected, so that my son will have THREE activations available to unlock THREE additional characters (for a total of SIX activated characters)? (Which would appear to be contrary to what is indicated in the patch note I quoted in my original post.)

Any additional information you may be able to provide would be most appreciated.

Beesodd
01.09.2013 , 07:10 AM | #7 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Sorry for the delay in response, I'm still waiting for a 100% definite confirmation on it, but it appears that the patch note is incomplete/misleading.

It looks to be the case that preferred status players will have a limit of 6 active characters on the account, and the note is referring to the fact that we won't delete the characters if you are already over the limit. As mentioned, I don't have full confirmation of this, but I believe it to be the case.

The "getting this fixed asap" is for getting the duplicate activations fixed, as this is absolutely a bug.

I hope this helps clarify somewhat and I'm sorry I can't give a more concrete response at this time.

ZeroPlus
01.09.2013 , 07:27 AM | #8
Sorry for the delay in response, I'm still waiting for a 100% definite confirmation on it, but it appears that the patch note is incomplete/misleading.

It looks to be the case that preferred status players will have a limit of 6 active characters on the account, and the note is referring to the fact that we won't delete the characters if you are already over the limit. As mentioned, I don't have full confirmation of this, but I believe it to be the case.

The "getting this fixed asap" is for getting the duplicate activations fixed, as this is absolutely a bug.

I hope this helps clarify somewhat and I'm sorry I can't give a more concrete response at this time.
Hello Beesodd,

Thank you for the clarification.

Hopefully this situation will soon be fully clarified one way or the other.

ZeroPlus
01.09.2013 , 09:40 AM | #9
Hello again Beesodd,

I just did a little more thinking about this and the patch note really does need clarifying, because if as you say
... I'm still waiting for a 100% definite confirmation on it, but it appears that the patch note is incomplete/misleading.

this is going to cause a world of headaches.

Right now the patch note indicates: (quoting again and adding a few emphasises (what a difference the word "and" makes))
Quote:
•Subscribers and Preferred Status Players who have more than the current character limits will be allowed to keep and play all characters.
Let's imagine that we have a player, let's call him JohhnyUser, who is currently a Subscriber and had 12 characters (placing him at the Subscriber Character limit). JohnnyUser then purchases a character unlock and creates a 13th character that he plays for a month or two. JohhnyUser then lets his subscription lapse (for whatever reason) and becomes a Preferred Status player.

With the current wording quoted above, while JohhnyUser is a Preferred Status player, he will be able to access and play all 13 characters he created while he was a subscriber (with the known in-game limitations inherit to being a Preferred Status player). When JohhnyUser again subscribes, everything continues as before (but without any in-game limitations).

However, if the current wording is incorrect, and it should in fact be more like:
... I'm still waiting for a 100% definite confirmation on it, but it appears that the patch note is incomplete/misleading.

then things start to become complicated.

When JohhnyUser lapses to a Preferred Status, he will now be prompted to "activate" 7 characters (6 standard limit and 1 unlocked). JohhnyUser then subscribes again and he again has access to all 13 characters. What happens if he lapses back to Preferred Status though?
  • Will his previously activated characters still be activated?
  • Will he be prompted to "activate" 7 characters again?
  • What if he decided to purchase Character unlocks to access all his characters (6 additional unlocks) while he was preferred? Will he now be able to create 6 additional characters when he subscribes again (for a total of 19)?

As I mentioned this needs some serious clarification. As the wording stands now, it is pretty clear and headache free:
  • what you have you can play no matter whether you are a Subscriber or a Preferred Status player;
  • if you want more, you need to unlock or subscribe;
  • if you move from Subscriber to Preferred Status, or vice versa, you can still play what you have.

NOTE: While not exactly related to my son's current situation (although it might affect his future situation) but still just something that needs contemplating.

warriorcat
01.09.2013 , 10:27 AM | #10
fyi max characters for everyone is 12 cant purchase more than that for now even with the store

when mekab comes out may increase to 16 so ppl who have 8 rep and 8 imps can transfer them to same server (mekab is just a made up time of when i hope they will add more slots (paid or otherwise (example lotro added more character slots with expansions you did not have to pay extra but this was only case for preorder but you could pay for more ofc when they brought out turbine store/points (however you could not go past the amount of extra character slots you would have got with preorder don't know if they changed that as i stopped playing shortly after isenguard )
Aim the rockets at Tomb of Freedom Nadd!
Level 50's Darkri/Zeraya//Jess'e char slots used 11/12
level 55 Raffes