Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Too Much Damage? What?


Ansalem's Avatar


Ansalem
01.07.2013 , 09:47 AM | #11
Tell your dps to slow down or stop then. Control that dps and you control the encounter. That's what my guild does.

Lostpenguins's Avatar


Lostpenguins
01.07.2013 , 10:16 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Spoletta View Post
Right, completely unacceptable. How dare they let a bug that affects maybe 1 party per server and can be easily avoided and instead focus on those bugs that the other common mortals have???
No, he's right. It's dumb that groups are punished for being "too good". It should never be that way where you have to do a complete DPS spot just so the scripted encounter can go through it's motions.

I also played in WoW and never had to have a raid say "woah, woah, slow down. Boss X has to do Y Ability before we push him to Z % HP left".

It's a bad mechanic.

DawnAskham's Avatar


DawnAskham
01.07.2013 , 11:12 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Lostpenguins View Post
No, he's right. It's dumb that groups are punished for being "too good". It should never be that way where you have to do a complete DPS spot just so the scripted encounter can go through it's motions.

I also played in WoW and never had to have a raid say "woah, woah, slow down. Boss X has to do Y Ability before we push him to Z % HP left".

It's a bad mechanic.
To be honest, WoW has had issues with pushing phases too fast in heavily scripted encounters, though not to the extent it seems to be prevalent in SWTOR and most of the time it was more of a 'we must push X before the next Y ability, but not push X while Y ability is in use'.

The problem seems to be the use of inflexible rules coupled to fixed timings set in the scripting such that the encounter expects you to do everything the same way at the same speed along a fixed time path, and if you don't complete every single step (or allow the script to complete every single step) in the right order at the right speed, you will run into problems including possible having the entire encounter bug out.

Rafaman's Avatar


Rafaman
01.07.2013 , 11:35 AM | #14
FYI, the Gharj one island bug happens irrespective of dps.

But... yea, our guild manages dps based on a percnetage of health. It seems to work well and the tanks sure to appreciate it.

Lostpenguins's Avatar


Lostpenguins
01.07.2013 , 11:53 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Rafaman View Post
FYI, the Gharj one island bug happens irrespective of dps.

But... yea, our guild manages dps based on a percnetage of health. It seems to work well and the tanks sure to appreciate it.
Can't just do percentages. On Toth and Zorn you have to also factor in the Fearful debuffs on the tanks.

Alec_Fortescue's Avatar


Alec_Fortescue
01.07.2013 , 12:39 PM | #16
Best example of a boss bugging out due to too much damage is hk-47...
*Best Dressed Jedi of 2014* http://mmo-fashion.com/tor-fashion-contest-results/

Atris' robes are great. But how about letting players wear the robes that are already in the game but not accessible to them?

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=720547 - Cool compilation of Jedi outfits worn by NPCs.

Don't let your artists' work go to waste, Bioware

-Sirus-'s Avatar


-Sirus-
01.07.2013 , 12:43 PM | #17
The only actual problem here is the Toth and Zorn fight. If you dps too fast, you could cause a jump before fearful wears off of the tank. This is fine if there isn't much duration later because the tank can just hold with taunt for the last few seconds. If the debuff has significant time left though, the only real out is pull dps a bit.

Writhing Horror does not have a problem with too much much dps. Your problem is that you tanks do not produce enough threat. Like any boss anywhere if your tank can't keep up with the threat per second of a dps, the dps is going pull the boss. This boss simply has an explicit mechanical penalty for this. Combat logging can be used to parse threat per second, have your tanks work on their threat rotation just like you would have a dps work on the dps rotation. If that's still not enough, try replacing your tank's endurance color crystals with power. Try having your tank burn an attack adrenal during the boss opening. Make sure your highest threat party members are guarded. Make sure all the dps know to use threat drops and when.

Lostpenguins's Avatar


Lostpenguins
01.07.2013 , 12:53 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by -Sirus- View Post
Writhing Horror does not have a problem with too much much dps. Your problem is that you tanks do not produce enough threat. Like any boss anywhere if your tank can't keep up with the threat per second of a dps, the dps is going pull the boss. This boss simply has an explicit mechanical penalty for this. Combat logging can be used to parse threat per second, have your tanks work on their threat rotation just like you would have a dps work on the dps rotation. If that's still not enough, try replacing your tank's endurance color crystals with power. Try having your tank burn an attack adrenal during the boss opening. Make sure your highest threat party members are guarded. Make sure all the dps know to use threat drops and when.
No, it has to do with getting the little adds with a Jealous Mate at the same time as his <10% HP mechanic where adds just start showing up.

-Sirus-'s Avatar


-Sirus-
01.07.2013 , 01:15 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Lostpenguins View Post
No, it has to do with getting the little adds with a Jealous Mate at the same time as his <10% HP mechanic where adds just start showing up.
I was more replying to the people talking about pulling off the tank and getting adds without a pool.

The 10% burn is not really a problem of too much dps. If you had good dps, you'd have downed him before the fourth Jealous Mate phase. If you claim to get the twisted spawns during your third Jealous Mate, I'd express severe doubt until you could prove it with a combat log. After seeing such a log, I would concede you have problem of having too much dps. If you get them during your fourth Jealous Mate, your party in no way has too much dps. The boss hits his hard enrage very shortly after the fourth mate shows.

grkguru's Avatar


grkguru
01.07.2013 , 01:57 PM | #20
This is not an issue of our tanks not being able to keep aggro enough, at least not the way it has been stated. Both tanks are highly geared and hardly ever miss a taunt or mess up their rotation. But with popping inspiration right in the beginning of the fight to coincide with the power use relics and my Flyby, tanks aren't given enough ability to sustain threat through that kinda of dps output, especially with 2 sentinels hitting master strike during that phase. Threat generation simply hasn't been balanced well to keep up with Dread Guard level gear for DPS.

That being said, we had to wait to use Inspiration and wait to use the power use relics until tanks could generate enough threat. There should be absolutely no concept of "too much dps." This should be something that's impossible to do, especially with a boss that has an enrage timer. The Zorn and Toth fight is way worse, I agree, but the Writhing Horror fight is bugged when you do too much damage too quickly and rip aggro off the tank.

And honestly, if you aren't encountering these issues, you might want to make sure your dps are doing the proper rotations. I've had to leave the flyby completely out of my rotation in order to not bug the fight. That is just not acceptable.