Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Lent_San
01.06.2013 , 03:49 PM | #5101
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Annoy Mr. Hood on Twitter, that's what I do.
I think I will. Maybe a thread in the suggestion forum might be in order too?

SithKoriandr
01.06.2013 , 05:38 PM | #5102
Quote: Originally Posted by JediMB View Post
Steve Cortez and Samantha Traynor in ME3.

Kelly Chambers was in ME2.

That's a pretty gross simplification.

Take Mako as an example. The romance arc with her is part of her larger companion/character arc, which more or less spans the entire class story for the Bounty Hunter. That's just not at all comparable to a few flirts (and sex) with a character you'll never see after you've left that one planet.
Well, you do sorta see him later on in the storyline. And I really can't speak of Mako's romance storyline, as my BH is female. But I didn't think Andy's was much more than that.

I'd check with Torian, but I've decided my BH just wouldn't go that far with Torian. Flirt sure, but no relationship, I'll go with her having a secret crush on Mako that will likely never be filled.

And I have no intention of rolling a class twice just to see it.

JediMB
01.06.2013 , 06:22 PM | #5103
Torian's romance is, just like the rest of his story, not comparable to Mako's.

Where Mako's storyline involved going to Nar Shaddaa and other places to investigate, Torian's was just the player giving (or not giving) him permission to go out bounty-hunting with his friends for the duration of a couple of fades-to-black.

So there's flirting, a kiss, and finally a proposal. Nothing special, but it would have been a whole lot better if the rest of his story actually had some substance. If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say it's because the writer had no idea how to actually do an interesting romance story with a man as the love interest.
The Morrowbringer Legacy The Red Eclipse (PvE) [EU]
Deep into that darkness peering, you reach out your hand and grasp what you are searching for.
Now ring the bells that sweep away the darkness; the bells that beckon tomorrow's dawn.

SithKoriandr
01.06.2013 , 06:28 PM | #5104
Quote: Originally Posted by JediMB View Post
Torian's romance is, just like the rest of his story, not comparable to Mako's.

Where Mako's storyline involved going to Nar Shaddaa and other places to investigate, Torian's was just the player giving (or not giving) him permission to go out bounty-hunting with his friends for the duration of a couple of fades-to-black.

So there's flirting, a kiss, and finally a proposal. Nothing special, but it would have been a whole lot better if the rest of his story actually had some substance. If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say it's because the writer had no idea how to actually do an interesting romance story with a man as the love interest.
That's how Andy's was. Is it that way with all non-first companions?

Roodbot
01.06.2013 , 07:08 PM | #5105
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
Yeah, all companions other than your first have conversations where they go off and do stuff and you don't get to go with them.
Once you go tank, you never go back!

SithKoriandr
01.06.2013 , 07:27 PM | #5106
Quote: Originally Posted by Roodbot View Post
Yeah, all companions other than your first have conversations where they go off and do stuff and you don't get to go with them.
Awww...I didn't expect all companions, but I thought it might be more than just the first.

Quething
01.06.2013 , 07:40 PM | #5107
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
All non-main companions. Every class only gets one companion who actually gives quests. Usually it's the first companion, but for the Jedi Knight it's Kira, who's your second companion. May be the second or third companion for other storylines too, I haven't played them all yet.

It's a little annoying, because every companion has obvious hooks for quests. Like "I gotta go to Taris to rough a dude up!" *fade to black* "OK, back from Taris!" Because it's not like I wanted to go to Taris with you and help out with that.... While they're adding s/s to companions, maybe they can finish that too. A comprehensive "companion patch" that offers universal storyline extras on top of s/s fixes would certainly be a good way to garner the interest and support of folks who are otherwise indifferent to or uninterested in just the s/s aspect.

Wittand
01.06.2013 , 09:11 PM | #5108
Quote: Originally Posted by Quething View Post
All non-main companions. Every class only gets one companion who actually gives quests. Usually it's the first companion, but for the Jedi Knight it's Kira, who's your second companion. May be the second or third companion for other storylines too, I haven't played them all yet.

It's a little annoying, because every companion has obvious hooks for quests. Like "I gotta go to Taris to rough a dude up!" *fade to black* "OK, back from Taris!" Because it's not like I wanted to go to Taris with you and help out with that.... While they're adding s/s to companions, maybe they can finish that too. A comprehensive "companion patch" that offers universal storyline extras on top of s/s fixes would certainly be a good way to garner the interest and support of folks who are otherwise indifferent to or uninterested in just the s/s aspect.
I had the impression that originally it was planned that you would accompany the companions on these quests, why else do they always take place on planets you have already visited in the past. I think that BioWare simply ran out of time and or money to do them right and so all the player gets are those fade to black.

Hudlar
01.06.2013 , 09:20 PM | #5109
Quote: Originally Posted by Quething View Post
I also found the hook/fade to black structure for most companion "quests" pretty annoying. I wonder if the developers originally planned to include full quests for all companions but ran out of time and/or resources. I would love a "companion patch" myself, but I suspect Bioware is more likely to produce additional content for level 50+ than to add to the 1-49 content. Time will tell, I guess.

PluckyDog
01.07.2013 , 01:22 AM | #5110
Just peeking in again. I noticed a small paragraph in the Help Centre and was wondering if it's been there for quite some time or if it's new. Here it is:

" 'Why is a same gender romance option not available for my character?'
Same gender romance options are not available with Companions at this time. However, inclusion of same gender romance options is planned for future, story-focused Game Updates."

Anyone know? My subscription is going to be on renewal very soon. I'm wondering if I need to cancel it still. I haven't played the game in a very long time (been waiting for SGRs).

UPDATE: **Ok, nevermind, lol. I've been out of the loop the last couple weeks. The news is still disappointing. Hmm. Not sure what to do with the subscription now. Thinking of cancelling it. Maybe renew it when we have equal opportunity as the opposite gender romances (meaning companion romances). I've written so many letters on this topic in the last 6 months, to so many different people/organizations, my brain is tired.
Thank you to everyone who has been fighting for SGRs... For providing a voice where people thought there wasn't one.**