Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Lag concern

JodinJ
01.03.2013 , 08:48 PM | #1
This is something that has been bothering me for a couple of weeks now. Now I can run literally any other program on my new computer without any trouble whatsoever. But playing SWTOR, the game almost always lags. I don't mean jerky lag, I mean the 3 seconds pause from button push to reaction lag. I have tried everything I know to do. My computer is the only active device on the entire network, the firewall has exceptions to allow swtor to play, the router has been set for high QoS and DMZ has been enabled for the computer's IP address as well (IP address is static so it never changes), I just can't figure this out.

On the same computer, I can run Battlefield 3 or Call of Duty perfectly fine, while even running something as big as a torrent download on my laptop, on the same network, and still experience zero lag whatsoever on those games. And, when this game first came out, I didn't have this issue. So I have to wonder, is this a game issue that the developers should be investigating and correcting? Or am I somehow doing something wrong with my internet settings that is keeping me from having a mostly lag-free experience??? Honestly I would play WoW over SWTOR if there were no lag in it, this is ridiculous.

Ceasaigh
01.03.2013 , 09:46 PM | #2
The path to the SWTOR servers travels over a backbone. Tonight alter.net which is a Verizon backbone is either down or experiencing heavy traffic.

if you do a tracert to the SWTOR servers you will see packets not getting through on the alther.net backbone.

Until this is fixed anyone attempting to trace over this backbone will have connection issues.
Sith Marauder Wyy'rlok
"The Hawk Legacy"
Jedi Covenant

sxdrugsrocknroll
01.03.2013 , 10:10 PM | #3
Ceasaigh, I've seen in more then one post about lag you asking about Comcast.. I myself Have comcast and never had an ISSUE until today. do comcast users go through alter.net?

Vailence
01.03.2013 , 10:26 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by sxdrugsrocknroll View Post
Ceasaigh, I've seen in more then one post about lag you asking about Comcast.. I myself Have comcast and never had an ISSUE until today. do comcast users go through alter.net?
Hello, I've encountered this problem too. My ISP is Shaw, in Canada. WHat Ceas has been posting in another topic,the one "what is wrong with my connection" is that yea, anyone running through this backbone will be having problems. Likely because it is down or broken right now. I run through it, and for the last few days I've had problems. None for a year until now. If you are experiencing a lag problem that spikes up every couple mins or so, then you are likely going through this backbone. It's not specific to comcast, but some comcast users seem to be included right now too!

sxdrugsrocknroll
01.03.2013 , 10:29 PM | #5
I did a tracert and found that I am having the same problem. I have just been frustrated all day because I just built a new PC and thought their might be something wrong with it. I live down in the Miami area in south Florida this has been a horrible experience. the lag spike i experience are every 10 or 15 seconds 58ms 383ms 1200ms.. If i enter a WZ i lag out.

Vailence
01.03.2013 , 10:32 PM | #6
I did a tracert and found that I am having the same problem. I have just been frustrated all day because I just built a new PC and thought their might be something wrong with it. I live down in the Miami area is south Florida this has been a horrible experience.
Yea, so I'm really thankful that Ceas had pointed this problem out. I thought it was my ISP for some time, and blah blah blah. I have a decent comp too, and was really hoping there was nothing wrong haha. And yes, my lag spikes are very frequent, and sometimes they just stay like that for a solid 5 mins or so.

It's just the internet failing us :P No worries eh?

Ceasaigh
01.03.2013 , 10:33 PM | #7

Alter.net is a Verizon Business backbone. There are several routers that our packets travel over (hop) to. alter.net is one of many.

I have done quite a few tracert's tonight and it seems that more than one of Verizon controlled backbones are not "peering" correctly. Our packets are not getting through. Sometimes I can get through one but not another.

The main cause of this is a network outage affecting Verizon fiber customers. I don't know this for sure but based on the tracert's it is the Verizon backbone that is causing the latency/connection issues tonight.

To answer your question not everyone is routed through alter.net so not everyone weill have the issue. Comcast seems to be the main culprit tho.
Sith Marauder Wyy'rlok
"The Hawk Legacy"
Jedi Covenant

daernhalfelf
01.04.2013 , 03:27 PM | #8
I am also having this issue, as are many others, and after several weeks, and working with Bioware CS, I am working with my ISP. they tried to deny a problem, as most will, but when forced had to admit they had one.
There is also a problem however in the LLNW servers, or Limelight. Networks. This is a large company using multiple server routers. It seems several of these "HUB" stations are getting overtaxed. I have, well forced, my ISP to deal not only with their own problem, but to file a ticket an work with Limelight. I am also contacting Bioware in regards to this.

Thought this may help to show it is not just a Verizon problem but from multiple hub port venders.

My thought, the hub venders do not want to repair or upgrade their systems to handle the traffic load, Suggested solution. Get on the hub venders non stop until they do their job.

sxdrugsrocknroll
01.04.2013 , 05:01 PM | #9
I was suscessful today in playing with no lag until about 4:30 est. At this time the lag spikes started to take place. Though this was after I updated Windows.