Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

What is going on with my connection?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
What is going on with my connection?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Ceasaigh's Avatar


Ceasaigh
01.03.2013 , 09:27 PM | #11
The internet is broken lol

Spoiler
Sith Marauder Wyy'rlok
"The Hawk Legacy"
Jedi Covenant

Ceasaigh's Avatar


Ceasaigh
01.03.2013 , 09:34 PM | #12
If you do a internet search for dft-gw.customer.alter.net [152.179.164.162] you will see that this backbone is/has been giving a lot of people fits.

it seems to be the main issue for a lot of latency/packet loss for a lot of people traveling along it's path.

Hopefully it will resolve it self in due time. If you call your ISP they will more than likley tell you you're crazy and don't know what you're talking about. But ISP's need to reroute away from this troublesome backbone.
Sith Marauder Wyy'rlok
"The Hawk Legacy"
Jedi Covenant

Vailence's Avatar


Vailence
01.03.2013 , 09:47 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Highallday View Post
I've followed all the posts here on fixing it, it's strange for a 5-6 months it was perfect. No issues. Then the past 3 days it's been a nightmare. I'm trying to play it off hopefully to the holidays with the issue. I can't even get on instance 2 of the pub fleet without hitting red bar every 60 seconds. I can't even play anything.
I'm having the same Problem! But my ISP is Shaw, and I'm from the West Coast of BC in Canada. About 3 days ago this lag problem has ruined my experience, along with the rest of the family. Everything else seems to be running fine, but only SWTOR has the problem. I used to always get 50ms, whole last year with the occasional spike which is okay. But now i get 50ms, then 1 red bar to 1500ms every minute. *** is going on. I just don't know how to solve this problem.

Ceasaigh's Avatar


Ceasaigh
01.03.2013 , 09:51 PM | #14
Pretty much doesn't matter about the ISP.

The path to the SWTOR servers trace along this troublesome backbone.


To be fair this really doesn't seem to be a SWTOR based problem. As long as this backbone is not accepting packets the connections issues will continue.
Sith Marauder Wyy'rlok
"The Hawk Legacy"
Jedi Covenant

Vailence's Avatar


Vailence
01.03.2013 , 09:58 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Ceasaigh View Post
Pretty much doesn't matter about the ISP.

The path to the SWTOR servers trace along this troublesome backbone.


To be fair this really doesn't seem to be a SWTOR based problem. As long as this backbone is not accepting packets the connections issues will continue.
Mine doesn't run through that path. Well It never came up in my traceroute, so I could assume it doesn't go through? Mine follows some 152.179 variants though, so maybe that's what you mean?

Vailence's Avatar


Vailence
01.03.2013 , 10:03 PM | #16
Or, maybe it does? I honeslty have no real idea how to analyze this thing.. But here it is haha

Tracing route to 159.153.68.252 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.1
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 13 ms 17 ms 13 ms tl19du.du.shawcable.net [64.59.161.178]
4 12 ms 13 ms 13 ms rd1cv-ge3-0.gv.shawcable.net [66.163.72.6]
5 17 ms 23 ms 15 ms 66.163.77.58
6 16 ms 15 ms 33 ms ix-0-0-2-0.tcore1.00S-Seattle.as6453.net [64.86.123.29]
7 14 ms 15 ms 15 ms 64.86.123.46
8 35 ms 35 ms 36 ms 0.so-0-3-0.XT1.SCL2.ALTER.NET [152.63.0.249]
9 39 ms 38 ms 40 ms 0.TenGigE0.4.0.0.ALTER.NET [152.63.56.22]
10 37 ms 37 ms 37 ms vantagedatacenters-gw.customer.alter.net [152.179.99.218]
11 36 ms 37 ms 37 ms 159.153.68.53
12 36 ms 42 ms 36 ms 159.153.68.252

Is the red what you are talking about? And any idea how or if this will be fixed? Thanks!

Ceasaigh's Avatar


Ceasaigh
01.03.2013 , 10:07 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Vailence View Post
Or, maybe it does? I honeslty have no real idea how to analyze this thing.. But here it is haha

Tracing route to 159.153.68.252 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.1
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 13 ms 17 ms 13 ms tl19du.du.shawcable.net [64.59.161.178]
4 12 ms 13 ms 13 ms rd1cv-ge3-0.gv.shawcable.net [66.163.72.6]
5 17 ms 23 ms 15 ms 66.163.77.58
6 16 ms 15 ms 33 ms ix-0-0-2-0.tcore1.00S-Seattle.as6453.net [64.86.123.29]
7 14 ms 15 ms 15 ms 64.86.123.46
8 35 ms 35 ms 36 ms 0.so-0-3-0.XT1.SCL2.ALTER.NET [152.63.0.249]
9 39 ms 38 ms 40 ms 0.TenGigE0.4.0.0.ALTER.NET [152.63.56.22]
10 37 ms 37 ms 37 ms vantagedatacenters-gw.customer.alter.net [152.179.99.218]
11 36 ms 37 ms 37 ms 159.153.68.53
12 36 ms 42 ms 36 ms 159.153.68.252

Is the red what you are talking about? And any idea how or if this will be fixed? Thanks!

Yup you trace along alter.net

its a Verizon owned backbone and right now it's down.

My guess is anyone unfortunate enough to trace along that gw-customer.alter.net backbone is having connection issues.
Sith Marauder Wyy'rlok
"The Hawk Legacy"
Jedi Covenant

Vailence's Avatar


Vailence
01.03.2013 , 10:09 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Ceasaigh View Post
Yup you trace along alter.net

its a Verizon owned backbone and right now it's down.

My guess is anyone unfortunate enough to trace along that gw-customer.alter.net backbone is having connection issues.
Ohh okay! Finally something makes sense. So it's not related to my ISP, but this Verizon backbone. I wonder if they are aware of the issue, or can/will fix it? Do you have any knowledge about that stuff? Thanks for at least clarifying that issue for me. Sigh of relief at least.. Haha

Ceasaigh's Avatar


Ceasaigh
01.03.2013 , 10:20 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Vailence View Post
Ohh okay! Finally something makes sense. So it's not related to my ISP, but this Verizon backbone. I wonder if they are aware of the issue, or can/will fix it? Do you have any knowledge about that stuff? Thanks for at least clarifying that issue for me. Sigh of relief at least.. Haha
As long as that Verizon backbone is having issues there will be connection latency.

Doing several tracert's has shown that its on all of there backbones.

My guess is there is a network outage somewhere or the backbones are just receiving a lot of traffic atm.

It should resolve itself, but as long as one is down or not receiving packets there will be issues.
Sith Marauder Wyy'rlok
"The Hawk Legacy"
Jedi Covenant

Vailence's Avatar


Vailence
01.03.2013 , 10:23 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Ceasaigh View Post
As long as that Verizon backbone is having issues there will be connection latency.

Doing several tracert's has shown that its on all of there backbones.

My guess is there is a network outage somewhere or the backbones are just receiving a lot of traffic atm.

It should resolve itself, but as long as one is down or not receiving packets there will be issues.
Okay, Good to know. It must be that something is down, that would make the most sense.. My problems are occurring all day, not just within a time, so that could possibly remove the increased traffic issue?

Either way, I just really hope it gets fixed soon haha. Lag ruins games!