Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

I have no problems with PUGs. Do people just like to exaggerate about them?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
I have no problems with PUGs. Do people just like to exaggerate about them?

psandak
01.03.2013 , 09:42 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Infalliable View Post
They're generally fine and you'll rarely have issues.

But when they're bad... they're really bad.
In a nutshell this.

Furthermore, most individuals remember bad experiences more readily than we do the good experiences. I am reminded of my days as a sale rep for a retail chain. In any customer service environment the following holds true...

Give a customer a positive experience and you have retained one customer. Give a customer a negative experience and you've lost ten potential customers. Basically, a customer who leaves with a negative feeling is going to report that to his friends who will repeat it to their friends.

The same thing can be said of MMO random grouping. If you have a positive experience you say thank you to those random players and move on. On the other hand, when you have a negative experience chances are you leave and start chatting with your guildmates and/or friends about how and why the FP went badly.

This is the way we are wired, there is nothing you can really do about it...except take what you hear 'third hand" with a grain of salt.

mykaels
01.03.2013 , 10:21 AM | #12
9 out of 10 PUGS are bad for me. That said, I just attribute it to Murphy's law

Before F2P it was not bad really. Now, I only op or flashpoint with my guild. Just not worth it.

Knightsire
01.03.2013 , 10:27 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by IAmViiOLENT View Post
Its mostly going to come from players who come from raiding guilds. For example, I can run HM LI in 15-20 minutes with my guild, never wipe etc, but when I pug it; it usually is an hour ordeal spent explaining mechanics and trying to teach someone how to play their class. It's not even elitism, its just that people from higher end guilds/groups end up expecting better and for the most part, pugs aren't close to the same quality as a good raiding guild.
There is a degree of bullying that happens in groups with 3 guildies plus one PUG member. I often find that it brings out the worst in people. I'm always cautious about a PUG with that group make-up. Sometimes it goes really well and we clear it really fast, but other times you had better watch out because you will become the scapegoat if something goes wrong regardless of whose fault it is.

Fayme
01.03.2013 , 10:43 AM | #14
I normally don't have a problem with pugs because I'm usually the healer and my husband's usally the tank. We only have problems when one of us decide to dps.

Our problems usually stem from someone in a hurry to finish the instance and we didn't skip a trash pull or accidently pulled trash mobs trying to skip. I usally put that person on ignore so I don't have to deal with the unnecessary pressure of catering to someone else's time restraint. If you don't have time to enjoy the game, don't queue in a pug. The rest of us are trying to enjoy the experience.

If you are new to the instance, please say so. I have no problem helping someone that is new if they say they've never been in the instance before.

On the flip side of that, to those who fail to read chat. If someone says they are new the instance and you don't read that, and then later complain that they are "acting like a noob" it's your fault for not paying attention.
SWTOR PvP = nerf teams of stunlocking operatives to create teams of stunlocking [insert any AC here]

mikebevo
01.03.2013 , 11:27 AM | #15
I agree 99.99999% of my pugs have been great. It is just that .000001% that ruins the experience. I do most of mine with a healer, wipes are not really a issue because she is so overgeared, my bad PUGs have been with ninjas taking others gear and with people just being rude and abusive towards others. I have no problem with it being towards me, but if someone is rude and abusive towards another group member, I will not tolerate it. These stand out in my memory even though they are so few and far between. Most HMFP are just good fast fun, but that is quickly forgotten when you get a bad group.

I will admit, HMLI I only do with guild members. I can't heal people through falling off the platform, so I gave up on PUGs there. It happened far too often.

Khevar
01.03.2013 , 01:10 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Infalliable View Post
They're generally fine and you'll rarely have issues.

But when they're bad... they're really bad.
I agree with this 100%.

Most ALL of my pugs go well. But the few that were bad were SO BAD that it's painful. I've actually had a player find a way to "push my buttons" so thoroughly that I stopped playing for a few days. Later I calmed down and everything was fine.

It's like going to the park with my family. Most of the time it's awesomely fun. One day some )^%$# jerk keyed my car all along the right side. I told my wife, "I'm never going to that park again!" (I'm about half glad I didn't catch him doing it or I probably would have gone to jail for assault with a deadly sidewalk.)

Some people are terrible awful horrible people. It's just a fact of life. When they play online games nothing suits them better than to try and ruin someone else's day.

Pantaro
01.03.2013 , 01:40 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by mykaels View Post
9 out of 10 PUGS are bad for me. That said, I just attribute it to Murphy's law

Before F2P it was not bad really. Now, I only op or flashpoint with my guild. Just not worth it.

I play a healer most of the time and love to grind flashpoints,totally support this statement!

grallmate
01.03.2013 , 02:57 PM | #18
For me it comes down to 1 thing in bad PUGs: Some players simply make things harder than just not having them.

I usually tank but lately I've been healing too and the pattern is usually the same. Most are fine but you sometimes get a DPS that:
- Pulls before the tank
- Breaks CC
- Ignore mechanics
- LOS the healer
- Ignore the kill order and get Gold Fever
Almost universally those players also say nothing in chat or get defensive when you try and explain what happened and how to prevent it next time. Amusingly, almost all of those DPS I come across have been Sentinels or Marauders. Now rarely does this cause a wipe but it really annoys me. A bad tank or a bad healer though, that can just wipe a group repeatedly.
The Kae-Sare Legacy - The Harbinger
<Vindication> <Retribution>

Gralleh Grall'eh Khyar
Gralleh's Guide to Guardian Tanking [UPDATED for 2.0]

CrazyGreggy
01.03.2013 , 03:53 PM | #19
I've found, to my own disappointment, that I'm getting less and less tolerant of PUGs. Instead of explaining carefully and patiently how dps blowing explosive barrels is a bad thing because of the threat generated, I just don't heal them and let them pick up a repair bill instead.

If I see Kaon come up and I don't need it for the Rakghoul weekly, I'm highly likely to bail if I see dps in less than full columi.

If I'm tanking and the dps face pull, I'm more likely to let them die and find a spot to wait for the adds than charge back and taunt.

And seriously, what's with all the 14k scrappers?

AngusFTW
01.03.2013 , 03:54 PM | #20
Rarely ever have problems pugging normal hm fps. LI HM isnt the best idea to pug but its a level above the rest and sometimes you get people queueing for it who have no idea/undergeared so its easier just to do a quick guild run.
Tomb of Freedon Nadd
55s.
Bleezar, Bleezár. Bleezlórd. Bleezard. Bleezford, Bleeznaut, Bleezfatt,
Lowbies
Bleezbian, Bleezguard, Bleezdian

vid
twitch