Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Slow download speeds from launcher

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service (Read-Only)
Slow download speeds from launcher

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Senatsu
01.02.2013 , 08:20 PM | #1
I recently had to do a fresh instal on my computer thanks to the genius work from BioWare developers that made the game fry my graphics card and harddrive (gotta love SWTOR right? (I should get some props for still playing this game)), and I'm currently in the process of downloading SWTOR again, but the speeds I get are just horrendous.

When I start the launcher, the game downloads at around 1 Mbps, but then after 5-6 minutes it drops down to 15-20 Kbps, if I restart the launcher again it the speed will go back up and then slow down again. I have no idea why this happens, and don't give me any silly suggestions like my ISP doesn't give me enough bandwidth, or disable your firewall, or some **** like that, I have been around computers long enough to check all of these before I post.
This has happened to me before, on 2 different computers with 3 different ISPs, so I'm no stranger to this. The issue here is, since it's the servers that are killing my download, I must ask the question: Why? 1 year after the game is out, these types of download speeds shouldn't even be possible in theory much less in practice. I download stuff from steam, other games through Origin, World of Warcraft, and many others, at over 4 Mbps. This is getting to the point where I'm seeing so many flaws and issues with, not just the game, but simple things inside the BioWare/EA infrastructure, that I'm really losing the will to give them more money even though they are responsible for creating some of the most memorable games in my gaming career.

Snowbirrd
01.02.2013 , 11:01 PM | #2
Yes the download speeds are ridiculous. I had to reinstall due to something stupid I did. I have been downloading the game and patches since 10 am this morning, it's now 9 pm and still downloading at a blistering rate of 32-115 kbps.

Cerimon
01.03.2013 , 05:22 AM | #3 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Greetings Senatsu and Snowbirrd,

We have seen in the past that pausing the download for a minute and then unpausing it can speed up the download substantially. Also, try not to use other downloads while patching, even though other things like skype/youtube/torrents may not use all of your bandwidth they can assume priority and this can reduce the download speed seen in your swtor launcher.

Cerimon | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support

Sreepje
01.03.2013 , 07:43 AM | #4
pro tip! make a backup of your game folder and you never have to download again(except for patches)

Sreepje
01.03.2013 , 07:54 AM | #5
srry double post

edusblaze
04.30.2013 , 10:24 PM | #6
I have been having the same problem. Every time I try to install an update I get around 300kb/s when I should be getting 2Mb/s. I have tried everything but nothing helped. I don't understand why the launcher downloads the patches at a reduced rate.

OwenBrooks
05.01.2013 , 01:00 AM | #7
There is several possible causes, boot to safe mode with networking and your download rate will likely be improved

or

Change your DNS server to a Public DNS in a different region and see if that improves the download, just don't forget to change back after the download is finished.

tanktest
05.01.2013 , 02:00 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Cerimon View Post
Greetings Senatsu and Snowbirrd,

We have seen in the past that pausing the download for a minute and then unpausing it can speed up the download substantially. Also, try not to use other downloads while patching, even though other things like skype/youtube/torrents may not use all of your bandwidth they can assume priority and this can reduce the download speed seen in your swtor launcher.
why not start steaming it like rift , wow , EQ and few others games do ? .