Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

I have no problems with PUGs. Do people just like to exaggerate about them?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
I have no problems with PUGs. Do people just like to exaggerate about them?

Felioats
01.03.2013 , 12:20 AM | #1
Maybe 1 in 20 PUGs will I come across someone I don't want to group with again, and it's always because they had an attitude problem or did something like queue up as tank when they are DPS spec/geared. Most runs are smooth, and disbanding because we can't beat a boss is exceptionally rare.

Yet I frequently hear people say they've sworn off PUGs or they hate them or whatever.

I see a number of possible explanations:

People like to complain/act superior
Bad players who do not know they are bad complain that groups are bad (unlikely that this is a main factor, I think)
People get upset really easily/I'm really easygoing

Or it could be that I'm an awesome healer who makes up for bads. Of course this is my favorite theory, but I am biased, so I want to find out what other people have experienced and think.
>

ladwar
01.03.2013 , 12:47 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Felioats View Post
Maybe 1 in 20 PUGs will I come across someone I don't want to group with again, and it's always because they had an attitude problem or did something like queue up as tank when they are DPS spec/geared. Most runs are smooth, and disbanding because we can't beat a boss is exceptionally rare.

Yet I frequently hear people say they've sworn off PUGs or they hate them or whatever.

I see a number of possible explanations:

People like to complain/act superior
Bad players who do not know they are bad complain that groups are bad (unlikely that this is a main factor, I think)
People get upset really easily/I'm really easygoing

Or it could be that I'm an awesome healer who makes up for bads. Of course this is my favorite theory, but I am biased, so I want to find out what other people have experienced and think.
i can carry undergeared group ok healing in my dps gear, but most of the time i end up with bad pugs becuase they just don't follow instrutions, ie tank pulls multiple mobs and is in a dps stance, dps stands in aoes or dragged them into healer/tank, healer doesn't heal and thinks its ok if he doesn't heal ever. about 1 out of 10 i get one of those groups and place them into my ignore and move on but with that said i want/need a bigger ignore list. mine on all my imp toons is full and been full for a while due to that fact i don't want to get groupped with those about pugs.

ArkonCh
01.03.2013 , 01:54 AM | #3
I have to agree with the OP here, 19 out of 20 flashpoints go off without a hitch, and the one that doesn't is usually a ninja. I'm not talking about doing it overgeared, my vanguard reached 50 on the first, I put him in full recruit and started running HMs, finished Kaon earlier with 3 other people who were at all not overgeared, yes, we wiped once, but that was my fault so we'll let that one slide...
Dps is science, tanking is strategy, healing is art.

IAmViiOLENT
01.03.2013 , 02:00 AM | #4
Its mostly going to come from players who come from raiding guilds. For example, I can run HM LI in 15-20 minutes with my guild, never wipe etc, but when I pug it; it usually is an hour ordeal spent explaining mechanics and trying to teach someone how to play their class. It's not even elitism, its just that people from higher end guilds/groups end up expecting better and for the most part, pugs aren't close to the same quality as a good raiding guild.

POPsi
01.03.2013 , 04:30 AM | #5
it depends... sometimes it goes without problem, but other times you just run into annoying people... like yesterday, EC weekly, we make our way to the tanks. Everyone ready, go... I dance around the tank, healing the people, and already see our tank does not know the DD mechanic. Ok, we survive that, then he runs with us under the shield. Wipe. Ok, next try, I explain every phase and what/where to do. Shield phase, the guy stays on the tank, we wipe. I ask to switch tanks, since the other is easier to manage. The other tank doesn't have a clue how to tank the other tank. I was facepalming hard But none of them would come out before the fight saying don't know what to do.

haliy
01.03.2013 , 06:48 AM | #6
Its the lack of some players not taking the time to review the fights before they actually go into the instance. Some of the flashpoints you can get away with because there's just 1 mechanic that you really have to look for. Others though you kind of need to see at least a video which explains the fight in detail before you actually step inside to do it. Yes, I realize that there is a difference from watching a video explaining the fights and actually doing them but if you have seen the videos, you can get the general idea on what to do.

It's the main reason why i have put up all the fights for all the Ops and harder flashpoints on our guild website. That way our guildies don't need to search for any of the fights.
MOSAIC - JEDI COVENANT
Guild Website
Haliy - 55 Sentinel ~ Windigo - 55 Shadow ~ Kája - 55 Sage
Vindeta - 55 Commando ~ Snapshote - 55 Operative

Infalliable
01.03.2013 , 07:39 AM | #7
They're generally fine and you'll rarely have issues.

But when they're bad... they're really bad.

TheMarmalade
01.03.2013 , 07:40 AM | #8
Maybe I am wrong here but the complaining about pugging is usually referring to ops not fps. Almost all fps can be two manned. Ops is a different story. In an op on person not knowing what they are supposed to do and not asking can cause a wipe. In a FP normally no one dies even if someone doesn't know what to do because its easier to cover just cause fps are really easy with very little mechanics involved.

DataBeaver
01.03.2013 , 07:58 AM | #9
I haven't had any problems with FPs so far, but yesterday I spent four hours in a PUG that tried to do TfB and couldn't get past the second boss. The apparent cause was inferior gear and resulting lack of DPS. The day before another group took two hours to get through EV, wiped three times at Soa and gave up. That time the reason was not knowing how to descend between phases and/or healers not healing during the descent.

The failures themselves don't faze me; I'm very patient and willing to try again. The waste of time for no gain is mildly irritating, but I can cope. What really annoys me is that having partial lockdowns for an operation makes it hard to find a different PUG to complete it with, so in practice I've been denied the BH comms from those two operations this week.

TheMarmalade
01.03.2013 , 09:27 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by DataBeaver View Post
I haven't had any problems with FPs so far, but yesterday I spent four hours in a PUG that tried to do TfB and couldn't get past the second boss. The apparent cause was inferior gear and resulting lack of DPS. The day before another group took two hours to get through EV, wiped three times at Soa and gave up. That time the reason was not knowing how to descend between phases and/or healers not healing during the descent.

The failures themselves don't faze me; I'm very patient and willing to try again. The waste of time for no gain is mildly irritating, but I can cope. What really annoys me is that having partial lockdowns for an operation makes it hard to find a different PUG to complete it with, so in practice I've been denied the BH comms from those two operations this week.
Beaver are you on the shadowlands? I might of been in that EV run. If not I had the same thing happen to me. I even offered to put a target over my head and jump up and down when it was time to heal. The healers got upset and said they know what to do even though the one was trying to put a salvation circle down on every platform. Needless to say he kept having the platform fall out under him. We even made it to the bottom once with a commando dps off healing but it was his me the tank and one other dps that made it. Unfortunately we did not have the dps or heals to kill him with only three guys since they got pulled into mindtraps and I as a tank don't have enough dps to kill em fast.