Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Easiest (Republic) PvE class for casual player?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Easiest (Republic) PvE class for casual player?

Yoooooooooooooo
12.30.2012 , 09:14 PM | #1
Hey, i'm not really here for competing against others; just wanna sit back and go through a story without much grinding etc?
Any suggestions as to what republic class I should play

grallmate
12.30.2012 , 10:09 PM | #2
Honestly, play what you find fun and it will feel less grindy than anything else. Also, certain classes will feel grindier at different points. For example, my Scoundrel healer was a dream to level until about 25, then became really painful until 30 and was easy street after that. My Shadow (well Assassin, still leveling the Shadow again) tank was a pain until about 35 but was a breeze after 40. My Vanguard (again, actually a PT, still leveling the VG) was a breeze to level using Shield Tech until about 30 when it felt really sluggish and then respecced to Pyro and it was a breeze all over again, at low levels, the huge amount of AoE just melts trash pulls so its real fast. My Guardian tank was stoic and slow but never felt tedious. Sniper (Gunslinger mirror) felt pretty clunky early on, but didn't feel grindy at any point.

If you like leaping in and killing stuff: Go Sentinel or Guardian.
If you like shooting thing from afar: Go Gunslinger or Commando
If you like stealth and backstabbing or shotguns to the back of the head: Go Shadow or Scoundrel
If you like casting: Go Sage
If you like shocking things with a taser and hitting them with your rifle: Go Vanguard
If you like healing: Go Sage, Scoundrel or Commando
If you like tanking/being hard to kill: Go Guardian, Vanguard or Shadow

I should add one amendment from above. Scoundrel/Shadow DPS aren't very solo friendly because they need to be behind the target for their big hits and mobs auto rotate to face you. So either run with a tank companion that can taunt or group up. That said, Scoundrel animations are the best in the game IMO (followed closely by Death From Above), nothing matches pulling out a shotgun, placing it to the back of someone's head and blowing their brains out.

EDIT:
Also, in terms of story: Jedi Knight or Smuggler are great. Consular is all diplomacy so it's low action but has a lot of impact on the war overall. I've yet to get my Trooper past Coruscant so I can't comment on that story.
The Kae-Sare Legacy - The Harbinger
<Vindication> <Retribution>

Gralleh Grall'eh Khyar
Gralleh's Guide to Guardian Tanking [UPDATED for 2.0]

Ratham
12.31.2012 , 12:51 AM | #3
For just playing the stories solo, anything works fine.

Play what you want
1/18/12 - Fail Day - Ilum

Dabrixmgp
12.31.2012 , 08:27 AM | #4
Commando is by far the weakest class when it comes to both damage and healing.

RendValor
12.31.2012 , 08:37 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Dabrixmgp View Post
Commandos are excellent DPS and have the best single target burst healing in PvE. Don't listen to uninformed people giving bad advice.
The Trayus Legacy - Prophecy of the Five

CarthOnansi
12.31.2012 , 08:47 AM | #6
gunslinger, easy big numbers always. PvE wise is good as you provide really strong dps no matter the spec and good utility.
End game PvE gunslinger is best dps class in my opinion.
Good range so can stay out of boss aoes - (melee would get affected by). Is able to always keep damage on boss, even whilst moving. Has good defences for boss fights (dodge and shield) more than enough whilst at range (+ damage reduction from cover).
Good utility in scrambling shield + flash grenade for mobs.
Flourrish shot - reduces armour for all party for x seconds (sorry forgotten how many)

- Cons
Energy management, learn to do it effectively then it becomes easy..
Reyer DurinAlyva Durin
"Live Free, Go Down Fighting"

Furiel
12.31.2012 , 09:08 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Dabrixmgp View Post
This is so far from being true this has to be a troll post.

I've leveled at least 1 of each republic class to 50 so my summary would be like this...

Smuggler - best story, survivability varies by spec, scoundrel has decent survivability due to access to heals, stealth and CC, Gunslinger less so due to lack of a humanoid CC, no heals and no healing companion until late game
Jedi Knight - 2nd best story, mediocre survivability because of good DPS, but lack CC and healing companion til late
Jedi Consular - 3rd best story, good survivability because of early healing companion and tools like stealth, CC and heals depending on the spec you play
Trooper - Worst story (still good, just not as good as the others IMO), great survivability due to getting healing companion early, heavy armor and either CC or tanking abilities depending on spec

Story quality is totally my opinion, and I'm sure some would disagree with my rankings. All the stories are good, this was just my rankings of which one I liked the best.
Furiel Plush
Cardinal and Raid Coordinator of The Church of Alvis

Dabrixmgp
12.31.2012 , 01:06 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by RendValor View Post
Commandos are excellent DPS and have the best single target burst healing in PvE. Don't listen to uninformed people giving bad advice.

Oh wait people care about PvE? Was talking about PvP.

Kitru
12.31.2012 , 02:35 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by RendValor View Post
Commandos are excellent DPS and have the best single target burst healing in PvE.
That's actually not true. Scoundrels can manage better ST burst healing and sustain it for longer.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

NoFishing
12.31.2012 , 02:51 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Yoooooooooooooo View Post
Hey, i'm not really here for competing against others; just wanna sit back and go through a story without much grinding etc?
Any suggestions as to what republic class I should play
Least grind? Go with a stealth class, which means either a shadow or scoundrel.

Scoundrel healers are pretty good, if that appeals to you. Shadows also get their healer pet fairly early, and since you can spec for tank, they can be very durable.