Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Frusterated with Level cap increase

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Frusterated with Level cap increase
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Shwarzchild
12.19.2012 , 11:28 AM | #41
The more threads that show frustration with 1-49 and 50+ parts of the game, the more I wish they had set up the game differently. I almost wish that flashpoints were not available for the story part of the game, and the bonus series for planets were heroics. In my mind you could group the flashpoints as they do now tier by tier, each tier requires tier X gear, and each flashpoint grouping would have an overarching story to follow. That, to me, would have been a really interesting way to encorperate flashpoints + gearing + love of story + end game content to this game. PVP warzones stay the same in this example, you can play them whenever and gear up as you go. Ops could still stay at the highest level, or at the end of a flashpoint tier there is an operation that ties it all together.

LegendaryBlade
12.19.2012 , 11:31 AM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by -Matze- View Post
I loved FFXI, played from launch for 8 years. Was 50 cap for about 8 months, then raised to 60, then 75 on ps3 release. Stayed 75 for years until abys came out. Then with each abys expansion they raised it by 5. I remeber the old days before TaU where it took months of lvling on moon area to get from 70 to 75. Then TaU came and could do 70-75 in a few weeks
I actually believe it was 50 back when I first, first started but I never got anywhere close to it, when I had my human warrior on an entirely different account than the one I have now. That was back when having a character in the high 30s was something impressive. I quit, and rejoined the game some years later where I made my Tarutaru. Right now i'm waiting for the new expansion to come out, and kind of hoping they put in paid character re customization because after a few years I get tired of the way my dude looks.

Hope you join me for the new expansion. Really Aby didn't ruin the game, it just made it different and kind of hurts to think that old acheivements mean so little now. Good news is, getting 99 is still super hard due to the fight to beat Maat's teacher.
Star Trek Online Science Officer - "To boldy go where no man has gone before."
Jung Ma RP-PVP Server:
Armetage - Gunslinger

SnoggyMack
12.19.2012 , 11:40 AM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by kirorx View Post
Still, why exactly are level caps needed?
It's a design tool. When used properly they create the treadmill/timesink that keeps the end-game players distracted long enough for new end-game content to be slowly incorporated into the game.

This is the Everquest model.

And level cap raises were designed to take you a bit of time so that the top raiding guilds didn't just waltz through each new expansion.

Things are not exactly the same these days but the remnants of that model persist.
Snoggy Mack
My Blog
My quote: "All the other kids with the pumped up Sith, you better run, better run, faster than my blaster"

Chemikal
12.19.2012 , 11:44 AM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by atduncan View Post
Supposedly they are gonna scale up dailys and other ops. Ex boarding party nightmare mode (as opposed to hard mode).
If that's what they're planning, that is seriously the sorriest excuse for an 'expansion' I've ever heard of. What's the point of raising the level cap if all I get to do is the same Ops and Flashpoints I've been doing for about a year now, just scaled up?

Chemical
Bria's Master Musician Extraordinaire

Quantum
12.19.2012 , 11:56 AM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by sstanks View Post
So you want a skill based game? Then you don't want a RPG.
Um wha..... MMORPG's started out skill based.. it wasn't until games like Everyquest became popular the Level/Grind/Gear formula took hold.

It would be more logical to say that he didn't want an RPG if he was asking for a Gear > Skill type game.

AllisonBerryman
12.19.2012 , 12:09 PM | #46 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Hi everyone! While we can't address every concern raised in this thread right now, we can reassure you that the gear you've obtained in our current endgame will continue to be relevant after the expansion is released, and it will provide a great bootstrap into the higher-level content offered by Rise of the Hutt Cartel. You won't be replacing your Dread Guard gear with gear you pick up as you level, and thanks to improvements in the way item power is calculated, we won't be handing out any entry-level gear at the new level cap. You'll hear more about RotHC as we approach its launch, and we'll continue to answer questions and provide more details!

pudim
12.19.2012 , 12:14 PM | #48
So, we'll be starting at blue grade 52 items?
You either subscribe, or you don't, cartel coins are useless

Orlesian
12.19.2012 , 12:15 PM | #49
Indeed, good to hear that our gear will not become obsolete.
❤ Please make Talos Drellik a romance option for female Inquisitors ❤
Red Eclipse

-Matze-
12.19.2012 , 12:15 PM | #50
Quote: Originally Posted by LegendaryBlade View Post
I actually believe it was 50 back when I first, first started but I never got anywhere close to it, when I had my human warrior on an entirely different account than the one I have now. That was back when having a character in the high 30s was something impressive. I quit, and rejoined the game some years later where I made my Tarutaru. Right now i'm waiting for the new expansion to come out, and kind of hoping they put in paid character re customization because after a few years I get tired of the way my dude looks.

Hope you join me for the new expansion. Really Aby didn't ruin the game, it just made it different and kind of hurts to think that old acheivements mean so little now. Good news is, getting 99 is still super hard due to the fight to beat Maat's teacher.
I haven't played in a year. Came back after couple years break to try it out. Didn't stop due to abys. Just felt like it was time to end it. Had 5 75s before abyss came out lol. Managed to get 2 to 80 in the couple months I tried abyss

It will always be my favorite MMO, but at some point, you just have to say goodbye to it