Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Frusterated with Level cap increase

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Frusterated with Level cap increase
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

sstanks
12.19.2012 , 09:46 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by pudim View Post
Oh endgame concept how I hate thee
Why is it so difficult for MMOGs to have a linear progression?

I dream for day a MMO don't forces you to level for weeks so than you can compete with other players, and then months later make your efforts become useless
So you want a skill based game? Then you don't want a RPG.

Kubernetic
12.19.2012 , 09:52 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by mothear View Post
Which means there is little point in subscribing unless you have the 'expansion', BW are certainly trying to alienate there subscriber base at every turn.
You have every reason to subscribe (and more) now than we all had when the game started. I have no idea what you're trying to say here.

Because Makeb exists does not eliminate and nullify all of the 1-50 content that we all enjoyed.
Tekay —— En-ki —— Tékay —— Hassle —— Jaksen
Explorer (80%) • Killer (53%) • Socializer (47%) • Achiever (20%)
Excited Star Citizen — But ready to resubscribe when and if...

_Darkstar
12.19.2012 , 09:58 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Mazikeen View Post
While I agree people should play for fun, some find the gear grind fun. I don't know why, but they do.

And before you argue with me, go check out the various Guild Wars 2 forums. One of their primary complaints there is a LACK of endgame content.

There are several different types of players... grinders and relaxed players are two of them.
Oh I do agree with you, but my point is that the game needs to actually focus on one OR the other, you cannot really have both without a massive budget and playerbase.

WoW manages both because of this, SWtoR probably aimed for both initially but since it has failed miserably it needs to look at the people it has and how best to keep them. The best it can probably do in the eyes of the majority of fans is to stick with the story, make it easier and more fun for for alts, more levelling paths. Just let people play the game and enjoy doing that, no need to add some goal that gets further and further away, because that seems to be something that only a small portion of the players want, and seems to be alienating more than it is likely to appease (Especially when the very people who want endgame content tend to be those who burn through it first, and are by very nature hard to appease if not impossible). Those who play the stories will roll endless alts if you give them the tools.

I will always come back to City of Heroes when comparng MMO's because despite major flaws it did a lot of things right, and the gameplay was so much fun that you could take your max level character and run it though any content you wanted (Scaled down appropriately) in a team of whatever size you want with your friends and it was fun every time (Or you could create a brand new character and be scaled up to join your friends on anything you wanted). I was in the largest guild in Europe and we ran stuff every night and never got bored because just playing the game was fun. Other MMO's don't seem to grasp that it is possible to make people enjoy playing the game and seem to think that changing the destination is the only way to keep people happy.

I know I would love to play my level 50 sorc through the IA's story arc, with my abilities and stats adjusted to the right level. I would love to join a low level Black Talon with my friends without 1 shotting everything, I would love to create another character and level up through different quests - especially since this is meant to be an alt friendly game. But no, they decide that they will raise the cap instead, and put the endgame further out of reach which means that the casual players who might like the endgame never really get to find out because just as they arrive the target moves. I left WoW because I hated doing content that was always 1 tier behind and SWtoR is going down that route.
British by act of union, English by grace of God, Northern by pure good fortune!

_Darkstar
12.19.2012 , 10:02 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by sstanks View Post
RPG should be about a growing story, not an ever changing level cap. The most famous RPG of them all (Dungeons and Dragons) had a cap of level 10 for years, and level 20 is considered 'epic' which means you have the power to walk through the very plains of existance and basically create worlds. That worked because the story evolved and the character evolved in more ways that just chasing down the +5 sword, then aiming for the +6 version.

This game actually had that, the character stories are a great way to put some RPG back into MMORPG, but they decided against that.
British by act of union, English by grace of God, Northern by pure good fortune!

pudim
12.19.2012 , 10:03 AM | #25
No, just a game with linear progression, with or without levels
The problem is the endgame, you are forced to reach the level cap to "participate" in the game,.
Levels are meaningless, you are not getting stronger as you level, you are just wasting time to get to the cap, that is what is wrong
You either subscribe, or you don't, cartel coins are useless

_Darkstar
12.19.2012 , 10:04 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Kubernetic View Post
You have every reason to subscribe (and more) now than we all had when the game started. I have no idea what you're trying to say here.

Because Makeb exists does not eliminate and nullify all of the 1-50 content that we all enjoyed.
Sorry for the triple post!

But this is wrong, because the key part is now there is a clear future what we may not like. At launch everything was about hope, you subbed for the game but could look forward to what was going to come. If you know you won't buy Makeb then spending the next few months in game could be considered a waste of time when instead that effort could go into a different game where you will still be seeing rewards in 3 months.

Mazikeen
12.19.2012 , 10:10 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by pudim View Post
No, just a game with linear progression, with or without levels
The problem is the endgame, you are forced to reach the level cap to "participate" in the game,.
Levels are meaningless, you are not getting stronger as you level, you are just wasting time to get to the cap, that is what is wrong
Weird, as I level I get new skills, new talents and better gear. Oh, I can also PvP, PvE (dungeons or open world), R or just do class quests. I think that's participation... isn't it? Yeah, it is.
"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds

LegendaryBlade
12.19.2012 , 10:10 AM | #28
OH MAN I BEAT THE GAME. I HOPE THEY DON'T ADD MORE GAME TO THE GAME, THAT MIGHT SOMEHOW DAMAGE MY ACCOMPLISHMENTS

New content is always a good thing. If SWTOR wants to survive it's going to need more than one level cap increase. FFXI went from 75 to 100 in 5 level increments (heard it started lower than 75 but it was 75 when I started). This was already an MMO where it took months and months to level to 75 before Abyssea came out. The game has lasted 11 years because new content is always, 100% of the time, a good thing (unless the content is crap or gamebreaking. Kinda like Abyssea). More game for your dollar.
Star Trek Online Science Officer - "To boldy go where no man has gone before."
Jung Ma RP-PVP Server:
Armetage - Gunslinger

H-aTreD
12.19.2012 , 10:12 AM | #29
You have no valid point to talk about skill in anything, you back peddle 'nuff said. And before you go and say "Waaaa no I don't" again, it's clearly in your YouTube video posted in your sig.

pudim
12.19.2012 , 10:13 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Mazikeen View Post
Weird, as I level I get new skills, new talents and better gear. Oh, I can also PvP, PvE (dungeons or open world), R or just do class quests. I think that's participation... isn't it? Yeah, it is.
Not that, the ENDGAME

You reach lv50, then you start doing pvp and ops, you get Tier 1 armor, Tier 2 armor, Tier 3 armor, and then the expansion arrives, everything you achieved is now useless
you are back at the same points as a player who just reached lv50

What we have now, are 2 different games, one from 1 to 49 and another at lv50, that's what I wish for, a game that is completely linear
You either subscribe, or you don't, cartel coins are useless