Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Empire or Republic?

VigDiath
12.11.2012 , 05:05 PM | #21
I play both and enjoy the lore of both sides.

On the one hand, you have the Empire whose citizens for the most part would give their lives to protect their beliefs. And not all of them are fanatical individuals bent on destruction. However the majority are. But you do see insight into their culture. Crime rates are low. On Dromund Kaas in Kaas City, you ever notice how clean and aesthetically pleasing to the eye it is. The Republic on the other hand has more of a run down feel to it. The Sith are all about appearance and it shows. But when you get to their rulers, that's where my praise ends. The Sith are not 'nice' masters to have. They hate aliens, have slaves, and will kill at the first hint of incompetence. Even the military. The side mission you get where you have to kill the guys wife because she cheated on him. Or the paranoia. Fear is what truly drives this society and fear cannot be the one thing that unites people for the better good.

Then you have the Republic. Politicians will like out of one side of their face, and kiss their mother's right after. But in this case, it isn't the majority. You see individuals in the government who truly do care and want to help, but with so many freedoms comes people who will abuse those freedoms and find loopholes around anything they can to get their way. But the people are what really make the republic shine. And the Jedi. They give of themselves to the point where they face death, not for the politicians but for the people. Such a huge opposite of the Sith.

I play both sides though because the characters we create are based on iconic figures in movies, books and comics. Obviously I love playing my Jedi Knight/Consular but I've had a lot of enjoyment from my Smuggler and Bounty Hunter class as well. The Sith toons have been harder to play because I feel you have be evil to play a Sith and I can never bring myself to fully embrace the dark side. I'm usually neutral or light. I do lean more towards the Jedi tho.
Jedi Covenant (The Baltimore Legacy)
Laaron - 55 (Shadow Tank) Eulora - 55 (Sage Healer)
Madmartygan - 55 (Guardian DPS) Skylaadawn - 55 (Sab Smug)
Akon - 55 (Carnage Marauder) L'aron - 53 (Sorc Healer)

Stormcloudx
12.12.2012 , 05:19 AM | #22
I say again, if the empire was minus dumb sith..they'd be the superior force. Maybe its just me and I see that irl "democracy" isn't so democratic and society is always one group or groups outplaying the other. The empire is just upfront about this. I think other than the dumb sith and wanna be righteous jedi... neither side is bad. (ok and repub need to execute those corrupt politicians).

MasterMe
12.12.2012 , 07:53 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by davracahan View Post
Freedom isn't perfect, but it's still better than subjugation. "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." -C.S. Lewis

Plus, if there was no battle between good and evil in Star Wars and The Empire was simply another way to govern...Star Wars would get real boring real fast.

Oh, and I'm Republic, all the way.
^^ You summed it up there. A democracy is far from perfect, but it is the best thing we've got.

MasterMe
12.12.2012 , 07:55 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by armphid View Post
I play mainly Republic, but I have a few Empire characters as well. I will openly say that I am heavily Republic leaning in my play and personal philosophy. The only reason I play Empire at all is because of friends of mine who play that side that I want to talk to/game with.

I've noticed that most of the pro-Empire posts here have to insert hypotheticals or brush off parts of Imperial doctrine/culture that undermine their argument. IF the Emperor was good, IF the Sith were fair and noble minded. IF this and If that. They aren't; no amount of what ifs will change that.

The reality is that the Empire is rabidly xenophobic and genocidal, elitist to an extent that even humans who can't use the Force are second class citizens and can be slain on a whim by their Sith overlords, and that any social mobility is an illusion unless you're a Sith. Because even if you're a Moff, some punk Sith can still decide to part your hair with a lightning bolt and it's his right to do so. And even if you are Sith, you can be murdered by your fellows (who are encouraged to do so) if they want your stuff and it will be institutionally ignored. Playing Empire side, I've lost count of how many missions I've had to do that are all the result of Darth Ponderous or Lord Pretensor's grudge/pet project/cause being put forth and dozens/hundreds/thousands of lives and millions of credits wasted by the Empire. That seems pretty corrupt to me.

The OP also castigated the Republic for allowing slavery in other governments but the fact that the Empire openly enslaves hundreds of millions of people is all right somehow. There is no slavery in the Republic; it is illegal and those who practice it are criminals who are pursued and prosecuted when caught. If there is slavery in parts of the galaxy that are not part of the Republic, it is not their job to make other governments do what they want. They control their territory, their citizens, and their laws, not that of other people.

The Republic is flawed; there's no such thing as a perfect government of any kind but any one that is based on the activity and will of the populace will be as flawed as people are. The Republic as an institution is more fair, more open, and more capable of change and advancement. There will be corruption, because some people are corrupt but it's not the institutionalized and accepted corruption of the Sith Empire. The corruption can also be expunged more easily; in a democracy, the government can be overthrown whenever the populace wants it to be and change effected. If the people want it and are willing to buckle down and do it, all the structures and systems are in place to effect change. It's not that it is perfect but that it can be that way if the people try hard enough. Reformers in the Republic build support, win small victories and build on them, gaining momentum until change is effected. Reformers in the Empire are killed.

In the Empire, there's no reason to want to change anything and even if you did, there's no way to do it without a coup d'etat, the structure doesn't support that kind of thing. The more terrible parts of the Empire are, in fact, essential for it's functioning. The Empire needs slavery; it couldn't afford to do all the things it does if it had to pay for all that work/food/equipment. The Empire needs xenophobia because it keeps the ruling class from completely disintegrating into paranoid massacres that would fracture it immediately; it creates a boogeyman for them all to unite against. The Jedi and the Republic work the same way for that purpose. The Empire's evil is part of the institution and thus any attempt to change it would have to fundamentally remake the institution itself.
Preach it!!

BradTheImpaler
12.12.2012 , 04:34 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by MasterMe View Post
^^ You summed it up there. A democracy is far from perfect, but it is the best thing we've got.
Yep, except we don't have it. The Republic is an oligarchy (with monarchist worlds as members), not a democracy. At best you could call it a "polyarchy".
In the Imperial Army, it takes more courage to retreat than to advance.

MasterMe
12.12.2012 , 05:19 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by BradTheImpaler View Post
Yep, except we don't have it. The Republic is an oligarchy (with monarchist worlds as members), not a democracy. At best you could call it a "polyarchy".
Good point. It's a democratic system that governs worlds in which many are monarchys. How's that?

lobotaru
12.12.2012 , 07:39 PM | #27
I'm imperial because small pink twileks are cute. That and I like to spite my sith masters by being a goody-goody. It brings such warm joy to my heart to know they hate me so.

unbilledrelic
08.09.2013 , 12:19 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by LegendaryBlade View Post
I play Republic mostly because i'm not on the 'evil is cool' bandwagon that seems to make up a lot ofStar Wars fans. That said, the Old Republic Jedi Order was a straight up cult and I much, much prefer Luke's Jedi Order.

I do plan to make a bounty hunter down the line though, as they've always been a very cool part of Star Wars lore.
Bounty hunters don't have to be played dark side though you can play them light and they are still bad asses.

Kaedusz
08.09.2013 , 02:49 AM | #29
Right now the Republic is particularly insuferable and terribly boring to me,oh and cheesy.

The moment i hear the Smuggler theme or the general Republic theme sometimes heard in the Rep fleet,i wanna puke and my hand instinctively proceeds to press the escape button as quickly as humanly possible and go to the character selection screen,after which i log in with a sith or my agent or bounty hunter and my mental agonies are over.And i feel at peace.

Omg how i hate the smuggler and the republic theme.And the male consular voice.And the Jedi Guardian basic atack animation.

My dislike of the Republic has nothing to do with good/evil/government and whatnot .It has has to do purely with aesthetics and atmosphere.

Jeduthun
08.10.2013 , 12:12 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Amien View Post
Actually... If Sidious hadn't been defeated, his massive navy and elite troopers would have been ready for the Vong invasion. The death star would have been VERY convenient to have around to blow their moving home world away
Well, as Han Solo said to someone, the Empire would have created something of gargantuan power to combat the Yuuzhan Vong, and give it a grandiose name, like the "Nostril of Palpatine," but then a hotshot Yuuzhan Vong pilot would have found something like a open heat vent of a sort, shot torpedoes through it and destroyed the weapon. "That's what the Empire would have done." - Han Solo

Anyway, I think that in spite of its problems, the Republic still represents the best of civilization that anybody, Human or not, could come up with, since it epitomizes the ideal of species coming together and resolving their differences peacefully without going to war over it, and symbolizes peace, unity, and freedom. However, I would be content to be a roamer in the Outer Rim Territories without worrying too much about galactic events.
"there is only justice when everyone is equally unsatisfied!" - pan_sObak