Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

The Death of the Class Story - Chapter 4: Rise of the Hutt Cartel

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
The Death of the Class Story - Chapter 4: Rise of the Hutt Cartel

Darka's Avatar


Darka
12.12.2012 , 11:22 AM | #11
I dont think anyone will be surprised given how the first year went, and the lack of class story updates.
A shame really, even if understandable
Wonder how much had to change considering they had a lot of the writing pre done for the story,
THE DEFENDER PROGRAM - Gaming Community Est 2006
Information
Owner of the Hat'o'Awesome

Urael's Avatar


Urael
12.12.2012 , 11:25 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Lionflash View Post
Because this game hasn't been ask successful as they had hoped, maybe not. However, even if the rest of the story was told just like the 'Planetary Story Quest Arcs' it would still be a cut above any other MMO out there. However I will miss my companions having their input and reation to other NPCs and situations, and just the pure personal touch the 8 class stories had.
I disagree. Given that Story is the ONLY thing that SWTOR does well, only having "planetary story quest arcs" with VO is not a "cut above". The game becomes no different than WoW from a leveling perspective when playing alts. When playing alts, I ONLY listen to the personal story again and tab thru the planet stories.

Master-Nala's Avatar


Master-Nala
12.12.2012 , 11:29 AM | #13
This is not surprising. There is still plenty of individualism that can be contained within a unified story, so I'll reserve judgment.
Republic Level 55s - Alana, Rickta, Nal'aa, Alan, Myschal, Sinbad, Frank'lin, Angiola, Vesnas, Nightsail, Mioni & Hard-Top
Imp Level 55s - Palatine, Ztephanie, Frank-lin, Ka'Mate, Chisami, Azureraven, Curiosi-dux, Vodoun, Thofia

DawnAskham's Avatar


DawnAskham
12.12.2012 , 11:29 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by ZionHalcyon View Post
Well, here's the thing - given the layoffs, delays, etc. I can see why they are making chapter 4 a catch all.

However, if money is made from the F2P and bioware gets back on track, I see no reason why Bioware can't have down the line more individual class story chapters, and then more inclusive chapters for everyone. It would actually enhance the narrative if the chapters allow everyone to come together for some big event, and then go their separate ways again in their own stories, only to have another chapter or two where they are all together again - its actually very star wars.

However, if going forward, there will never again be individual class stories and only these larger in scope stories, then yes, I do consider it a huge and grave disappointment. Time will tell.
The problem I see, and the concern I have, is that recoloring items for the cash shop takes significantly less development resources than continuing the story and creating fresh new content while returning a potentially large sum based on how many fall for the lottery box scam.

I have no reason to believe EA will do anything with the profits from the cash shop other than line their pockets, though I do hope to be proven wrong.

Urael's Avatar


Urael
12.12.2012 , 11:32 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by DawnAskham View Post
The problem I see, and the concern I have, is that recoloring items for the cash shop takes significantly less development resources than continuing the story and creating fresh new content while returning a potentially large sum based on how many fall for the lottery box scam.

I have no reason to believe EA will do anything with the profits from the cash shop other than line their pockets, though I do hope to be proven wrong.
Indeed. "They're not gouging, but there're charging".

Lionflash's Avatar


Lionflash
12.12.2012 , 11:34 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Urael View Post
I disagree. Given that Story is the ONLY thing that SWTOR does well, only having "planetary story quest arcs" with VO is not a "cut above". The game becomes no different than WoW from a leveling perspective when playing alts. When playing alts, I ONLY listen to the personal story again and tab thru the planet stories.
That's a shame, because there are 2 different planet quest arcs and random quests (1 per faction) and unless you play them back to back and all your character choose the same dialogue and make the same descisions... you'd likely have a cool down period before you did the same quest again, and might see different outcomes.

My strat is make 1 Pub characters, then 1 Imp, then 1 Pub then another Imp... and so on. Gives you time to forget you did a quest or at leats isn't so fresh in your mind.

And yes... it is a cut above WoW... WoW is all 'skipped quest text' and silent heroes. There have been some interesting quest arcs in SWTOR, and I can't remember 1 in WoW.

ZionHalcyon's Avatar


ZionHalcyon
12.12.2012 , 11:35 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by DawnAskham View Post
The problem I see, and the concern I have, is that recoloring items for the cash shop takes significantly less development resources than continuing the story and creating fresh new content while returning a potentially large sum based on how many fall for the lottery box scam.

I have no reason to believe EA will do anything with the profits from the cash shop other than line their pockets, though I do hope to be proven wrong.
I understand the concern and fear, but keep in mind, they likely will be charging for Makeb, so putting these chapters out will bring in cash for them.
BobVader - We will always remember.
Remain civil in the face of incivility, lest you be the barbarian.

Mercurial_Harpy's Avatar


Mercurial_Harpy
12.12.2012 , 11:38 AM | #18
That link was leaked some time ago.

Really, guys. The doom and gloom is killing me. There is nothing in that link to suggest what Cel is stating. I get that people are anxious about class story. Hell, on my Agent I was wanting more the day after the Star Chamber. But Alexander Feed, when he left Bioware, said on his Twitter feed that he'd written several installments ahead of time, & he was moving on because 6 years on a project was enough. Did Bioware hand him his hat? Probably. But that's besides the point.

Just because we've seen three chapters doesn't mean that's all Bioware has for us. It's very likely that the Voice Acting has already been completed for some if not all of it.

But you're right. I could be wrong. I'm far from Bioware's faniboi defender. And if the day comes where Bioware states emphatically that 1-3 is all we get, that's the day I cancel. And I will eat crow on that day. Until then, it's impossible to know.

So please, in the mean time, have some egg nog and cookies and play with your new Cartel Market Revan Gear & Tythonian Fore-Master's lightsaber with the pretty glowies... ;P

* * *
~The Argost Legacy~

~Jedi Covenant~

Lithy's Avatar


Lithy
12.12.2012 , 11:40 AM | #19
There's already 'planet' stories for every planet, so if there is only the 'Planet' story for Makeb it is ch4 in name only, which would suck cause story is half the reason I play. No story, 50% of the reason to play just got removed from the game. I'd rather Makeb be delayed then they release it with out class stories.
Lithium
Imperial Sniper

The Hartshotte Legacy
Tallianna, Gunslinger

Urael's Avatar


Urael
12.12.2012 , 11:42 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Lionflash View Post
That's a shame, because there are 2 different planet quest arcs and random quests (1 per faction) and unless you play them back to back and all your character choose the same dialogue and make the same descisions... you'd likely have a cool down period before you did the same quest again, and might see different outcomes.

My strat is make 1 Pub characters, then 1 Imp, then 1 Pub then another Imp... and so on. Gives you time to forget you did a quest or at leats isn't so fresh in your mind.

And yes... it is a cut above WoW... WoW is all 'skipped quest text' and silent heroes. There have been some interesting quest arcs in SWTOR, and I can't remember 1 in WoW.
I run with the "text" on as I tab. I can read faster than it can be acted out. I see the differences. I am used to reading and typing very fast from my days of fast scrolling MUDs.

As far as memorable stories in WoW. There is Darrowshire from Vanilla. The scatterred Vrykul quests that lead up to the Lich King. The Lilian Voss story that started in Cata and continues in MoP. The VanCleef story continuation in Cata. There are many interesting stories in WoW but, you have to "read" them to know. So I too think it's a shame that you didn't experience the rich stories that are in WoW.