The Death of the Class Story - Chapter 4: Rise of the Hutt Cartel

CelCawdro

Edit: To anyone who took and "wait and see" approach, well, here is the result. Death confirmed.

Where does the development team stand with regards to individual class stories? Are these still a priority for upcoming content?

Great question. The way you choose to overcome your own personal villains is a crucial part of what defines your character, and once you’ve gotten closure on your personal story, you’re ready to be a key player in the larger conflicts that threaten the Empire and the Republic. Moving forward, we’re focusing on those stories – conflicts that decide the fate of the entire Galaxy and demand the attention of other living legends like yourself. You can still put your personal touch on these stories, and you’ll develop relationships just like before, but now the stakes are higher, and the experience can be shared with your friends.

As seen here. (Edit: And confirmed here.) Yes, it's datamined. No, it isn't completely concrete. But it's a good indication of the direction of the game. And it is being indicated that class stories are done for - there will be continuation, but nothing more in-depth than the generalized story you can find in WoW or any other MMO out there.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is the item that unlocks Makeb.

And yes, this is speculation. But given answers like this...

When Makeb was first announced, we were told that it was not a continuation of the class story. Yet in a recent interview, Jeff Hickman said that Makeb is the continuation of your story. I think there might be a bit of confusion in semantics. Can you clarify and perhaps expound on what exactly Makeb is going to offer as far as the story is concerned?

Our goal when designing stories for The Old Republic is to ensure that they can be enjoyed both while playing alone or as part of a group, and Makeb is no exception. Players of all classes will discover that their previous adventures have made them bigger celebrities than ever before, with both enemies and allies recognizing the players' characters as some of the most important people in the galaxy. Players will be summoned to Makeb precisely because of who they are and what they've done in their class plots -- and their new adventures will place them squarely at the center of the Great War.

...it isn't baseless. Edited by CelCawdro

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"If" this is true, I agree with you. The ONLY strength of SWTOR was "The Story". Story becoming "genericized" won't really "feel" that epic anymore. Without continuations to the "personal story" things will feel incomplete. I know from the IA Story perspective, I have many questions that I would like to see resolved. :cool:

If so I'm not surprised since that was so expensive.,,, But I think what they are doing is the MMO version of Dragon Age Awakening. And hopefully any work they've done on class specific stuff can be jammed in later, on some other planet , space station etc.

If so I'm not surprised since that was so expensive.,,, But I think what they are doing is the MMO version of Dragon Age Awakening. And hopefully any work they've done on class specific stuff can be jammed in later, on some other planet , space station etc.

There may be no "later" to jam things into. Given how sub par SWTOR is from a MMORPG perspective the only draw is the story. I don't "end game" in SWTOR. To me it's not worth it. I "end game" in other games. I play SWTOR for the story. If there isn't going to be any real continuation of the "class stories" then we are talking essentually about "planet story missions" for the forseable future. With all the threads that have been started about "can I just do my personal story and level up" and with others like me that are only playing for the story you would think that EAware would know better. :cool:

As seen here. Yes, it's datamined. No, it isn't completely concrete. But it's a good indication of the direction of the game. And it is being indicated that class stories are done for - there will be continuation, but nothing more in-depth than the generalized story you can find in WoW or any other MMO out there.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is the item that unlocks Makeb.

And yes, this is speculation. But given answers like this... ...it isn't baseless.

Now they are punishing people for playing alts. Oh the irony.

Well, here's the thing - given the layoffs, delays, etc. I can see why they are making chapter 4 a catch all.

However, if money is made from the F2P and bioware gets back on track, I see no reason why Bioware can't have down the line more individual class story chapters, and then more inclusive chapters for everyone. It would actually enhance the narrative if the chapters allow everyone to come together for some big event, and then go their separate ways again in their own stories, only to have another chapter or two where they are all together again - its actually very star wars.

However, if going forward, there will never again be individual class stories and only these larger in scope stories, then yes, I do consider it a huge and grave disappointment. Time will tell.

Because this game hasn't been ask successful as they had hoped, maybe not. However, even if the rest of the story was told just like the 'Planetary Story Quest Arcs' it would still be a cut above any other MMO out there. However I will miss my companions having their input and reation to other NPCs and situations, and just the pure personal touch the 8 class stories had.

I dont think anyone will be surprised given how the first year went, and the lack of class story updates.

A shame really, even if understandable

Wonder how much had to change considering they had a lot of the writing pre done for the story,

Because this game hasn't been ask successful as they had hoped, maybe not. However, even if the rest of the story was told just like the 'Planetary Story Quest Arcs' it would still be a cut above any other MMO out there. However I will miss my companions having their input and reation to other NPCs and situations, and just the pure personal touch the 8 class stories had.

I disagree. Given that Story is the ONLY thing that SWTOR does well, only having "planetary story quest arcs" with VO is not a "cut above". The game becomes no different than WoW from a leveling perspective when playing alts. When playing alts, I ONLY listen to the personal story again and tab thru the planet stories. :rolleyes:

Well, here's the thing - given the layoffs, delays, etc. I can see why they are making chapter 4 a catch all.

However, if money is made from the F2P and bioware gets back on track, I see no reason why Bioware can't have down the line more individual class story chapters, and then more inclusive chapters for everyone. It would actually enhance the narrative if the chapters allow everyone to come together for some big event, and then go their separate ways again in their own stories, only to have another chapter or two where they are all together again - its actually very star wars.

However, if going forward, there will never again be individual class stories and only these larger in scope stories, then yes, I do consider it a huge and grave disappointment. Time will tell.

The problem I see, and the concern I have, is that recoloring items for the cash shop takes significantly less development resources than continuing the story and creating fresh new content while returning a potentially large sum based on how many fall for the lottery box scam.

I have no reason to believe EA will do anything with the profits from the cash shop other than line their pockets, though I do hope to be proven wrong.

The problem I see, and the concern I have, is that recoloring items for the cash shop takes significantly less development resources than continuing the story and creating fresh new content while returning a potentially large sum based on how many fall for the lottery box scam.

I have no reason to believe EA will do anything with the profits from the cash shop other than line their pockets, though I do hope to be proven wrong.

Indeed. "They're not gouging, but there're charging".

I disagree. Given that Story is the ONLY thing that SWTOR does well, only having "planetary story quest arcs" with VO is not a "cut above". The game becomes no different than WoW from a leveling perspective when playing alts. When playing alts, I ONLY listen to the personal story again and tab thru the planet stories. :rolleyes:

That's a shame, because there are 2 different planet quest arcs and random quests (1 per faction) and unless you play them back to back and all your character choose the same dialogue and make the same descisions... you'd likely have a cool down period before you did the same quest again, and might see different outcomes.

My strat is make 1 Pub characters, then 1 Imp, then 1 Pub then another Imp... and so on. Gives you time to forget you did a quest or at leats isn't so fresh in your mind.

And yes... it is a cut above WoW... WoW is all 'skipped quest text' and silent heroes. There have been some interesting quest arcs in SWTOR, and I can't remember 1 in WoW.

I understand the concern and fear, but keep in mind, they likely will be charging for Makeb, so putting these chapters out will bring in cash for them.

That link was leaked some time ago.

Really, guys. The doom and gloom is killing me. There is nothing in that link to suggest what Cel is stating. I get that people are anxious about class story. Hell, on my Agent I was wanting more the day after the Star Chamber. But Alexander Feed, when he left Bioware, said on his Twitter feed that he'd written several installments ahead of time, & he was moving on because 6 years on a project was enough. Did Bioware hand him his hat? Probably. But that's besides the point.

Just because we've seen three chapters doesn't mean that's all Bioware has for us. It's very likely that the Voice Acting has already been completed for some if not all of it.

But you're right. I could be wrong. I'm far from Bioware's faniboi defender. And if the day comes where Bioware states emphatically that 1-3 is all we get, that's the day I cancel. And I will eat crow on that day. Until then, it's impossible to know.

So please, in the mean time, have some egg nog and cookies and play with your new Cartel Market Revan Gear & Tythonian Fore-Master's lightsaber with the pretty glowies... ;P

There's already 'planet' stories for every planet, so if there is only the 'Planet' story for Makeb it is ch4 in name only, which would suck cause story is half the reason I play. No story, 50% of the reason to play just got removed from the game. I'd rather Makeb be delayed then they release it with out class stories.

That's a shame, because there are 2 different planet quest arcs and random quests (1 per faction) and unless you play them back to back and all your character choose the same dialogue and make the same descisions... you'd likely have a cool down period before you did the same quest again, and might see different outcomes.

My strat is make 1 Pub characters, then 1 Imp, then 1 Pub then another Imp... and so on. Gives you time to forget you did a quest or at leats isn't so fresh in your mind.

And yes... it is a cut above WoW... WoW is all 'skipped quest text' and silent heroes. There have been some interesting quest arcs in SWTOR, and I can't remember 1 in WoW.

I run with the "text" on as I tab. I can read faster than it can be acted out. I see the differences. I am used to reading and typing very fast from my days of fast scrolling MUDs.

As far as memorable stories in WoW. There is Darrowshire from Vanilla. The scatterred Vrykul quests that lead up to the Lich King. The Lilian Voss story that started in Cata and continues in MoP. The VanCleef story continuation in Cata. There are many interesting stories in WoW but, you have to "read" them to know. So I too think it's a shame that you didn't experience the rich stories that are in WoW. :cool:

That link was leaked some time ago.

I've been aware of it for as long as its been out there. The reason I post is now is because this is the moment that I've realized that I've been holding on to a fool's hope for the past year. The direction the game is taking has been made obvious, and it certainly isn't high-quality narrative content that EA perceives as being single-use.

I want to believe that more class story is coming. But EA really did ruin the chances of that. It's not even that SW:TOR wasn't a success, financially or otherwise. It was, and is. The problem is that EA set their sights on dethroning WoW -a completely unrealistic goal. When SW:TOR failed to reach that goal, they diverted resources into not making more content, but into making more cash. And we're seeing the consequences of that refocus.

They're not encouraging.

Death of the class stories? Really? Even with your caveats that this is speculation, I think it is a huge jump to say anything of the sort. Look, Makeb may not have class stories, but that doesn't mean there isn't anything planned for future expansion packs. And... what about new classes as a part of new expansion packs or content? It seems logical that new races will introduce new classes and story.

Nah, man... its is a huge generalization that say that class stories are dead. It might be more accurate to speculate that there aren't new class stories in Makeb. But even that is speculation.

Edited by Rafaman

I understand the concern and fear, but keep in mind, they likely will be charging for Makeb, so putting these chapters out will bring in cash for them.

O god that's another thing I need to save my CC for , I forgot they might charge for Makeb ;/.

Makeb will be interesting to say the least , luckily I will have a choice on my 16 characters to play Makeb or finish off side stories on the final two planets and/or a few bonus series that I haven't seen. Obviously this takes into account the cap is raised , which it should do. Hopefully each class's story on Makeb will be different enough to keep other players ( including myself ) happy and not just repeating a planet 16 times ( in my case ). Still the free 99 tionese level 50 bonus is going to make it much easier to get from 50 and above now , not that I'm complaining it was about time us PVE'ers got something for being 50.

I do hope for personal class stories similar to what we have now in the future or I will be long gone in 12 months ( that's my prediction to get all 16 characters to the new cap ).

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Might be good for a little while. But if a major expansion is ever released, they may go back to the split stories. I think they are large undertakings, and they won't be able to make the class stories different for free content patches. That's just my speculation. Doesn't bother me as long as it's a goods story.

Death of the class stories? Really? Even with your caveats that this is speculation, I think it is a huge jump to say anything of the sort. Look, Makeb may not have class stories, but that doesn't mean there isn't anything planned for future expansion packs. And... what about new classes as a part of new expansion packs or content? It seems logical that new races will introduce new classes and story.

Nah, man... its is a hug generalization that say that class stories are dead. It might be more accurate to speculate that there isn't new class stories with Makeb. But even that is speculation.

^ This...you guys are jumping the gun way too soon here. Just because Ch 4 MIGHT not be class story continued, doesn't mean that in expansion packs(which make more sense then just a regular update) won't continue class stories.

Think of it like filler content, a break so to speak between the class stories.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi