Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Gunnery Commando PvE Guide

Furiel
12.04.2012 , 04:14 PM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by ArchangelLBC View Post
I like to save Tech Override for an emergency off heal, and I really prefer to save Reserve Powercell for an 8 ammo Full Auto usage. Plasma Grenade just honestly doesn't seem worth it to me, especially since it synergizes with nothing in Gunnery.
I pretty much always use TO to throw an extra GR in during heavy movement if it looks like my stacks are going to drop off, such as T&Z move phase or if I get the yellow circle of doom on them.

As for using PG, I use it sparingly but I find times it is quite useful as it does more damage than GR, so on the rare occasion I can't use FA due to impending movement, I don't need to build any stacks and both HiB and DR are down I use it. But like I said, it's sparingly because it's REALLY rare all of those conditions are met.
Furiel Plush
Cardinal and Raid Coordinator of The Church of Alvis

jesseleeca
12.04.2012 , 09:33 PM | #42
I like to save Tech Override for an emergency off heal, and I really prefer to save Reserve Powercell for an 8 ammo Full Auto usage. Plasma Grenade just honestly doesn't seem worth it to me, especially since it synergizes with nothing in Gunnery.
Heals usually aren't that much of an issue and if I do need to heal myself, I just use Advanced Medical Probe with the 5 stacks of Charged Barrel. This may not be optimal but it's just how I do it

Depending on your DPS situation I wouldn't even bother with relics or adrenals on Toth and Zorn. Even on 8 man we've found we run into the problem of getting to a jump before fearful has worn off the other tank. At that point adrenals and relics are actually hurting. Save it for under 10% and getting the mobs even. It's way more important that Toth and Zorn die very close to each other than it is to kill them as quickly as possible.
DPS is never a problem for us, since our raid is well geared (full 61 to >half 63), just an old habit from a time when people weren't as geared i guess. It is a good idea for people who aren't fully geared up. As for tanks still having fearful, pst... our tanks are boss and can take it just fine . Only time we have to slow dps is when Toth is enraged to stop him from jumping before the Baridium Heave hits him.

We're still trying to get through HM TFB (been integrating a lot of new members recently) so haven't been into NiM EC (also in no rush to spend more time there if I'm honest). New Firebrand and Stormcaller sound kind of annoying with having to switch people for the doubles. What kind of average DPS do you have to push to just split both groups up (2 DPS on each tank the whole time) and not hit a second double destruction?
I wouldn't recommend splitting the dps for this fight since it will almost certainly lead to a second round of DDs. As for the precise dps needed, I don't have hard numbers in front of me so I'll have to ask the other people in my guild but it is the hardest dps check in the game right now and we had to have the heals throw DoTs on the tanks to make sure we cleared the enrage.
[Prophecy of the Five] <The Crushers>
Havok-leader Lvl 55 Commando DPS/Combat Medic Gunnery PvE Guide
Transference Lvl 60 Guardian Tank/DPS
Morehots Lvl 60 Scoundrel Healer

TheBigGregski
12.06.2012 , 09:53 AM | #43
Ok guys, i'm gonna throw a weird idea here, but a gunslinger friend of mine did some math that shows replacing around 15% of his cunning for aim is a net bonus. Something to do with "logarithmic" (not sure, don't laugh ^^) progression of stat bonuses. The guy's serious, and now does a horrible amount of dps (2170+ on a 6min dummy), not even in full 63 gear (got two DG guns though). My GS guildmates followed his advice and saw a dps boost too.

So the idea here is : would it work for Troopers too ? Is there any math nerd around here willing/able to do som sims (as Methodical didn't implement their SimCraft for gunnery commandos before moving back to WoW) and sort this out ? Serious answers only please

EDIT : Got my friend online, apparently the aim gearing only works for Sharpshooter spec, as Aim enhances distance damage and cunning boosts tech damage. As we gunnery do roughly 50% distance and 50% tech, I don't think replacing aim for cunning would be optimal. But maybe Assault spec should think about it though...

ArchangelLBC
12.09.2012 , 01:51 PM | #44
Bump for great justice.
In update 2.9 the game will simply uninstall itself for you.

-Wnd

SafeJungleFever
12.10.2012 , 06:29 AM | #45
Just wanted to chime in again on a couple of things. The Aim/Cunning thing for gunslingers probably has nothing to do with 'logarithmic' curves (which is what the DRs are btw) since the DRs for primary are basically flat out to about 10x what we currently stack. And everything to do with the whole ranged vs. tech thing. Which I think is what your GS friend said when you clarified with him.

As long as Full Auto is a Ranged attack, it's a non-viable strategy for us. That said, if for some reason they decided to make full auto a Tech attack, we'd all be able to dump some accuracy as well as rethink the Cunning thing.

The other thing I brought up a couple pages ago was hitting DRs on surge/accuracy and whether or not alacrity makes sense at that point. After looking at our tree again, I realized that with the 30% increase to bonus dmg of FA and DR, this shifts the relative position of the surge curve compared to the others. In other words, even when you're at soft cap, it's worth it--to a point--to keep stacking surge. I'm not sure what the point is where it becomes beneficial to consider alacrity over surge but based off qualitative math (i.e. pulling it out of my rear end) it'll be at about the 400 points area. Something we won't be approaching until after dread guard. Or maybe not given that they stated they'll be going horizontal progression after this tier of gear. *shrug*

A corollary to this is that with FA being so much of our dmg, it's worth it to stack crit a little past DRs. I'm at 39% and loving life.

I may *actually* math it out at a later point, or do a proper ops dummy parse, but don't hold your breath.

FWIW in full 61 with 63 barrel, 3 63 armorings, and full 63 mods, I'm able to stand toe to toe with some excellent sents in identical levels of gear.

ArchangelLBC
12.11.2012 , 03:25 AM | #46
Quote: Originally Posted by SafeJungleFever View Post
Just wanted to chime in again on a couple of things. The Aim/Cunning thing for gunslingers probably has nothing to do with 'logarithmic' curves (which is what the DRs are btw) since the DRs for primary are basically flat out to about 10x what we currently stack. And everything to do with the whole ranged vs. tech thing. Which I think is what your GS friend said when you clarified with him.

As long as Full Auto is a Ranged attack, it's a non-viable strategy for us. That said, if for some reason they decided to make full auto a Tech attack, we'd all be able to dump some accuracy as well as rethink the Cunning thing.

The other thing I brought up a couple pages ago was hitting DRs on surge/accuracy and whether or not alacrity makes sense at that point. After looking at our tree again, I realized that with the 30% increase to bonus dmg of FA and DR, this shifts the relative position of the surge curve compared to the others. In other words, even when you're at soft cap, it's worth it--to a point--to keep stacking surge. I'm not sure what the point is where it becomes beneficial to consider alacrity over surge but based off qualitative math (i.e. pulling it out of my rear end) it'll be at about the 400 points area. Something we won't be approaching until after dread guard. Or maybe not given that they stated they'll be going horizontal progression after this tier of gear. *shrug*

A corollary to this is that with FA being so much of our dmg, it's worth it to stack crit a little past DRs. I'm at 39% and loving life.

I may *actually* math it out at a later point, or do a proper ops dummy parse, but don't hold your breath.

FWIW in full 61 with 63 barrel, 3 63 armorings, and full 63 mods, I'm able to stand toe to toe with some excellent sents in identical levels of gear.

I'm sitting just a tad over 35% Ranged Crit when fully buffed (circumstances had me briefly stacking power, and then I decided I liked it). Would love to see some hard numbers on this though. LagunaD did some maths a little while ago that seemed to indicate it didn't matter much.

I'd hate to have to go back and get some crit mods made though >_<

-Wnd

spiewak
12.11.2012 , 10:15 PM | #47
So I play Eyvan who is in full Dreadguard. I use the 7-31-3 First Responder build. The rotation I use that works really really well is, Grav round till 5 stacks OR Full auto procs, if FA doesn't proc DR->HiB (reason why DR is a bigger hit and should always be on cooldown when you have 5 stacks on the boss) HiB is the same way but it NEEDS the 5 stacks of charged barrel to do anything. Sticky grenade if you are moving and can't set for X amount of time. Reserve power cell on FA (with pro) if at or below 50% ammo. If below 25% ammo burn out fast and pop recharge cells. Also aim over power all the way with gunnery.
10/10 HM

Pre nerf Revanchist

Still wants to do more DP

ArchangelLBC
12.12.2012 , 01:20 AM | #48
Quote: Originally Posted by spiewak View Post
So I play Eyvan who is in full Dreadguard. I use the 7-31-3 First Responder build. The rotation I use that works really really well is, Grav round till 5 stacks OR Full auto procs, if FA doesn't proc DR->HiB (reason why DR is a bigger hit and should always be on cooldown when you have 5 stacks on the boss) HiB is the same way but it NEEDS the 5 stacks of charged barrel to do anything. Sticky grenade if you are moving and can't set for X amount of time. Reserve power cell on FA (with pro) if at or below 50% ammo. If below 25% ammo burn out fast and pop recharge cells. Also aim over power all the way with gunnery.
Why not HiB > DR for the better ammo regen? 3 Grav Rounds and a Demo will put you deep into mid tier regen.

-Wnd

spiewak
12.12.2012 , 08:53 AM | #49
I can't see that making a profound difference in ammo regen. I would say if it works for you knock yourself out. What I posted is what I have been doing for the last year ish. So all of it is second nature to me.
10/10 HM

Pre nerf Revanchist

Still wants to do more DP

KeyboardNinja
12.12.2012 , 02:51 PM | #50
Quote: Originally Posted by spiewak View Post
I can't see that making a profound difference in ammo regen. I would say if it works for you knock yourself out. What I posted is what I have been doing for the last year ish. So all of it is second nature to me.
I have to agree with Arc here. HiB and DR have the exact same cooldown, so order doesn't matter beyond its effect on energy regen. Going HiB -> DR is vastly superior to DR -> HiB because commando regen is non-linear. The free 1.5s of ammo regen is enough to give you a decent amount of headroom before you use DR.

I think that if you swap the order of those two abilities in your rotation, you will find your energy quite a bit easier to manage.
Computer Programmer. Theory Crafter. Dilettante on The Ebon Hawk.
Tam (shadow tank) Tov-ren (commando healer) Aveo (retired sentinel) Nimri (ruffian scoundrel)
Averith (marksman sniper) Alish (lightning sorcerer) Aresham (vengeance jugg) Effek (pyro pt)