Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why are you people always attacking the toughest targets?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Why are you people always attacking the toughest targets?

Bhemont
12.07.2012 , 01:24 PM | #1
Why is everyone that I group with either attacking separate targets, or the toughest ones? Is it in their mindset that this is the best solution? As a Tank, every time I join a group of PUGs I end up having to explain to them, please kill the weakest one first and then the stronger ones. But they don't listen, and the healer and tank have to struggle a bit.

It's not terrible, it doesn't lead to wipes in normal mode, but oh man are these folks going to have hard time in heroics later, and in their class stories and solo.
Proud owner of the CE Imperial Agent since day one
- Red Zone

hallucigenocide
12.07.2012 , 01:28 PM | #2
probably because they hit tab once and go for whatever target that is :P
people are lazy..

Jason_T
12.07.2012 , 01:48 PM | #3
I noticed the same thing to some extent. When I joined a guild recently and started grouping with them I even told them I like to kill weakest first and they where cool with that. CC the toughest ones if possible and bash the weak things first.

StefanTOR
12.07.2012 , 01:59 PM | #4
And when you tell them that, do they do it right the next time? Nooooooooope.

mikebevo
12.07.2012 , 02:04 PM | #5
You can talk until you are blue in the face, this will not change.

My main is a healer I love getting in groups when dps uses the right kill order, it is a pleasure to heal and I will pass on all gear when they are doing that. When I get in a group where I have to kill the weaks and strongs since they are too important to belittle themselves in attacking such a inferior target, I greed everything.

When I dps HMFPs, I use the kill order. I cannot count the number of times I have been whispered to by healers thanking me for that and them also saying how great my dps is. Either they are lying or don’t dps themselves, because I play as a Infiltration spec shadow, my dps is terrible, but more than enough to kill weaks in 1 hit and strongs in 3 or less hits So it looks good if people don’t know what will happen if the fight goes over 5 mins.

Petnil
12.07.2012 , 06:18 PM | #6
Maybe when they say your a great dps itīs not that you do über dps. Itīs that you kill stuff in the right order. To me thatīs a great dps. One that will cc and reaply cc if needed, has situational awareness and helps the healer when he/she gets agro.

A dps who jumps in and start nuking away, iīll begin healing him when he has lost agro. If he dies thats his own fault. If the tank decides to save the triggerhappy dps then fine, but iīm not healing dps "tanks"

darthtrunkmonkey
12.07.2012 , 06:24 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Bhemont View Post
Why is everyone that I group with either attacking separate targets, or the toughest ones? Is it in their mindset that this is the best solution? As a Tank, every time I join a group of PUGs I end up having to explain to them, please kill the weakest one first and then the stronger ones. But they don't listen, and the healer and tank have to struggle a bit.

It's not terrible, it doesn't lead to wipes in normal mode, but oh man are these folks going to have hard time in heroics later, and in their class stories and solo.
i go after the toughest target on my mara because i know i can kill it in a couple seconds, your dealing with undergeared people...

GarfieldJL
12.07.2012 , 10:10 PM | #8
In some cases you can only use certain attacks if you've already used a different attack on the same target. If you're dealing with a guardian dps, they're simply trying to maximize DPS output and get a working rotation going.

If you're dealing with gunslinger DPS, Commandos, Vanguards, etc., then you have a very good point.

Bhemont
12.08.2012 , 01:49 PM | #9
No, I rarely join up with Guardian DPS classes, mainly because I'm playing as one. It's not that I don't like Guardian DPS, it's just that, usually when they see me, they refuse to join.

Anyway, this seems to get better with time, the higher the level the more organized the group seems to be. Not always, but it's better.
Proud owner of the CE Imperial Agent since day one
- Red Zone

Stenrik
12.09.2012 , 05:24 AM | #10
I might be alone in this, but <50 flashpoints are easy enough that I actually prefer when people screw up pulls. Makes things more interesting, especially as a healer/tank. I like being forced to use cooldowns I wouldn't normally use.

(That doesn't mean that I don't correct people... I still want to help them become better players and all that stuff. )