Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Gen Chat Needs to be Monitored 24/7

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
Gen Chat Needs to be Monitored 24/7

TheBBP
12.07.2012 , 02:47 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by BobaTed View Post
Maybe the community should be given the tools to police itself. If someone is /ignored by, say, 20 people, that person gets a temporary chat ban anywhere between an hour to 24 hours. Think that'll work?

Until one of the many large guilds filled with jackwagons decides to use that mechanic to grief people.
Jano Aras'im - Knight of the Old Republic
Darth Krelan - Imperial Loyalist
Ebon Hawk

BobaTed
12.07.2012 , 02:52 PM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by TheBBP View Post
Until one of the many large guilds filled with jackwagons decides to use that mechanic to grief people.
Whaaat? Could never happen. Ever.

...now where's the innocent halo smiley?

Joesixxpack
12.07.2012 , 03:09 PM | #33
Maybe the community should be given the tools to police itself. If someone is /ignored by, say, 20 people, that person gets a temporary chat ban anywhere between an hour to 24 hours. Think that'll work?
Only people getting temp bans would be the chat nannies. I'd vote to ban them too out of general Interwebz principle, whether I agreed with them or not.

Tab over = Problem solved.
SifuStoli Sage | Joesixxpack VG | BBQ'Ribs GS | Hawt'Sauce Guard | Dark'nStormy Scrap
ilotSufiS Mara | BBQRibs Sin | BBQSammich PT | BBQSawce MM | Dark'n'Stormy Op Med
PROPHECY OF THE FIVE

BobaTed
12.08.2012 , 09:15 AM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by Joesixxpack View Post
Only people getting temp bans would be the chat nannies. I'd vote to ban them too out of general Interwebz principle, whether I agreed with them or not.
If "chat nannies" means what I think it means, they wouldn't have to be nannies with a player-initiated chat ban system anyway. They're only nannies because the terms of service are not sufficiently enforced.

If EA can't (or won't) do it, I say, Power to the People!

Otogicco
12.08.2012 , 05:14 PM | #35
It's a good idea but it doesn't work. I have seen systems like that used and it is abused by bullies. It's basically giving more power to the ones causing the problems in the first place.
Quote: Originally Posted by TheBBP View Post
Exactly.
I usually just turn off chat if it's really bad.
50~Sage(L)/Shadow(D)/Scoundrel(L)
400~Artifice/Synthweaving/Cybertech/Armormech/Armstech
Created 01.10 started 03.12

Grihm
12.09.2012 , 12:24 PM | #36
We should not have to resort to turning off General chat or such. The people that are filling it with racial/sexual remarks, spams, hateful comments etc are the once that need to be removed and/or dealt with.

A simple solution to begin with.

Have Bioware create an Official OOC / Off Topic channel.

Then all can be in there instead of tearing apart General / Trade etc with random jibberish.
Also, since the F2P my patience has dropped almost to dead zero. It has come so far that i am willing to sign a petition if presented with one that removes the chat function at all for F2P players.

It has gotten way out of hand.

BobaTed
12.09.2012 , 12:29 PM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by Grihm;5547208[CENTER
Have Bioware create an Official OOC / Off Topic channel.[/CENTER]

Then all can be in there instead of tearing apart General / Trade etc with random jibberish.
Nobody will use it. I know this, because nobody uses it in games where it's available.

Grihm
12.09.2012 , 12:33 PM | #38
Nobody will use it. I know this, because nobody uses it in games where it's available.
Then they open up the reason themselfs for an upcomming report / ban.
If an official solution is presented and people refuse, they are breaking the rules and by that action they revoke the chance to even defend what they are doing. Itīs spamming the general chat on purpose by not using OOC.

Currok
12.09.2012 , 12:40 PM | #39
If you dont like it make a new tab with gen chat off or just ignore it does it really bother you that bad? I think most of it is humerous and it keeps me entertained. Just imo.

Grihm
12.09.2012 , 12:52 PM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by Currok View Post
If you dont like it make a new tab with gen chat off or just ignore it does it really bother you that bad? I think most of it is humerous and it keeps me entertained. Just imo.
So those that use the gen-chat for what itīs there for should back down so the flamewars and racial/sexual/hateposts etc can go on?

Thatīs not going to happen. There is a problem regarding this and thats no news. Besides, there is nothing fun with people being targeted for hateposting or other. Thatīs why people are upset on the situation and feel it needs to be fixed.

Walking away or turning over the gen-chat for actions as previously mentioned is not the solution.