Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

An in-depth look at: The Shadow of Freedon Nadd

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
An in-depth look at: The Shadow of Freedon Nadd

Aurbere
12.06.2012 , 05:25 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by OldVengeance View Post
I thought he was the last apprentice of Naga Sadow?
Technically he was. He apprenticed under the spirit of Naga Sadow on Yavin 4. You may be thinking of Ludo Kressh.
Added Chapter 44 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

OldVengeance
12.06.2012 , 05:42 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
Technically he was. He apprenticed under the spirit of Naga Sadow on Yavin 4. You may be thinking of Ludo Kressh.
No I was thinking of Freedon Nadd. Most of what I've read about him says that he awakened Naga Sadow from stasis on Yavin 4 and then later killed him after he learned the secrets of the Sith from him. I don't think I'd ever heard about him learning from a holocron of King Adas. In fact, since King Adas was a Sith ruler long before the arrival of the Dark Jedi Exiles who became the Dark Lords of the Sith, how would he even have had a holocron? I thought they were Jedi teaching equipment.

Aurbere
12.06.2012 , 06:06 PM | #13
No I was thinking of Freedon Nadd. Most of what I've read about him says that he awakened Naga Sadow from stasis on Yavin 4 and then later killed him after he learned the secrets of the Sith from him. I don't think I'd ever heard about him learning from a holocron of King Adas. In fact, since King Adas was a Sith ruler long before the arrival of the Dark Jedi Exiles who became the Dark Lords of the Sith, how would he even have had a holocron? I thought they were Jedi teaching equipment.
Research indicates that King Adas learned of Holocron technology from the Rakata after the Sith repelled a Rakata invasion. Remember that this is the research of a Sith researcher. I will do my own research to back-up or supplant these claims.

Freedon Nadd destroyed Naga Sadow's spirit after he had assumed that he had learned everything from him.

Edit: King Adas was taught how to create Holocrons when visitors from the Infinite Empire arrived to Korriban. He built his own, but then had to fight off the subsequent Rakata invasion. The Holocron was lost until Nadd found it. After thousands of years, the Holocron fell into the hands of the Dark Lady Lumiya.
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

OldVengeance
12.06.2012 , 07:39 PM | #14
Freedon Nadd didn't destroy Naga Sadow's spirit. Bioware's histories video tineline said that The Emperor dispatched his Jedi infiltrators to seal his spirit in his tomb. Naga Sadow was said to have preserved his life in stasis for the centuries until he was awakened by Nadd, so I believe he was still alive by the time he found him.

Aurbere
12.06.2012 , 07:57 PM | #15
Freedon Nadd didn't destroy Naga Sadow's spirit. Bioware's histories video tineline said that The Emperor dispatched his Jedi infiltrators to seal his spirit in his tomb. Naga Sadow was said to have preserved his life in stasis for the centuries until he was awakened by Nadd, so I believe he was still alive by the time he found him.
Yeah, I think I misinterpreted that slightly. Freedon Nadd attempted to destroy Sadow's spirit.

Naga Sadow kept himself in stasis until he was freed by Freedon Nadd. Then Sadow taught Freedon Nadd his Dark secrets. When Freedon Nadd felt that he had learned everything from Naga Sadow, he attempted to destroy him. Sadow survived to later possess one of those infiltrators.

I think Naga Sadow survived after that, but I'm not sure on that.

OldVengeance
12.06.2012 , 08:20 PM | #16
Naga Sadow's death is not covered in detail in the books I have but either the New Essentially Chronology or Jedi vs Sith say that he was alive when Nadd woke him, but was murdered by him afterward. So presumably it was that which was the reason he had a spirit that the Emperor sought to imprison.

Aurbere
12.06.2012 , 08:26 PM | #17
Naga Sadow's death is not covered in detail in the books I have but either the New Essentially Chronology or Jedi vs Sith say that he was alive when Nadd woke him, but was murdered by him afterward. So presumably it was that which was the reason he had a spirit that the Emperor sought to imprison.
Yeah, I have Jedi vs. Sith and it doesn't cover Naga Sadow's state when Freedon Nadd found him. That's where I got slipped up. I could have grabbed one of my other books, but I had Jedi vs. Sith like right in front of me.

I think Naga Sadow was alive when Nadd found him. Later works seem to point to it.

Edit: Yeah, Jedi versus Sith doesn't give too much detail on Sadow's state, but seems to imply that he was alive. It says that he was in stasis.

Edit #2: Okay, Jedi vs. Sith says that Freedon Nadd apprenticed to Naga Sadow's spirit on Yavin 4. Needs to be revised, maybe?

Beniboybling
12.07.2012 , 01:49 AM | #18
This may be the cause of the confusion but can someone give me the low down on this Naga Sadow business? I understand he escaped the Hyperspace War alive and enslaved Massassi on Yavin 4. But then what? He suspended himself in statis? For one, why? Surely Naga Sadow would want to do evil Sith business rather than freeze himself waiting for, well what? It also seems to imply his body was not destroyed (which would be necessary for him to become a Force ghost) because it seems even more crazy to kill yourself. Unless of course he died naturally - which seems just as unlikely... I require knowledge and wisdom

OldVengeance
12.07.2012 , 04:35 AM | #19
The original Essential Chronology never actually mentions Naga Sadow's fate, but it does mention he put himself in suspended animation after going into hiding after the Great Hyperspace War and that he trained Freedon Nadd. The New Essential Chronology says that Nadd killed him. Although, I do remember some confusion about his fate in a debate I had online years ago too. So I am guessing the original source material doesn't go into detail about their time together. Whether Naga Sadow was alive when he taught Freedon Nadd or was just a spirit (it's confusing in the books), he eventually ended up as a sith spirit possessing the apprentice of that Sith infiltrator that the Emperor sent to seal him away in his tomb of Yavin IV.

Aurbere
12.07.2012 , 11:19 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
This may be the cause of the confusion but can someone give me the low down on this Naga Sadow business? I understand he escaped the Hyperspace War alive and enslaved Massassi on Yavin 4. But then what? He suspended himself in statis? For one, why? Surely Naga Sadow would want to do evil Sith business rather than freeze himself waiting for, well what? It also seems to imply his body was not destroyed (which would be necessary for him to become a Force ghost) because it seems even more crazy to kill yourself. Unless of course he died naturally - which seems just as unlikely... I require knowledge and wisdom
Sadow's state of being is laborated upon too much. I assume he placed himself in stasis while he was alive, and then Nadd killed him. However, certain sourcebooks state him being a spirit when Nadd frees him. I'm just as confused on this subject as you are.